Uptown Theatre district improvements

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: Uptown Theatre district improvements

Post by WSPanic »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
moderne wrote:Krokstrom is a great new restaurant. Every dish I had there was something different to my palate. Goodt service and easy prices.
I'm loving this place, the smorgasbord is great because its a little different each time you order it and you can also get millions of different flavor combos just mixing 2 pieces of food on the board

Just tried Krokstrom last night - it was great. Cocktails and food are all very unique and high quality. The cocktail menu features a lot of Aquavit cocktails - which they make in house. The food was all delicious. The mussels are in a cream sauce - which isn't my first choice usually, but it was really good. They also have a "bar nuts" app - which features roasted nuts with Pork Belly mixed in - they were really good. The Hot Crayfish Dip was also good.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

We plan on going to Krokstrom tonight. Looking forward to it.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

kucer wrote:We plan on going to Krokstrom tonight. Looking forward to it.
Report!
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

It was excellent, taxi.

I probably hadn't been in the space for a decade. They've done a great job converting the interior to a warm space. But the food...

- Smorgasbord plate was excellent...pickled herring, salmon, pickled veggies, great cheeses, delicious sausage.
- Hot Crayfish Dip...served with the Knackebrod. Yum.
- Mussels with Apple Dijon Cream...unique sauce that i would licked the bowl if I was alone. The piece of bread for mopping was delicious..pumpernickel maybe? Mussels a little on the small side, but not a huge deal.
- Giant Gnochi with Dark Meat Chicken ..it was the special small plate and again delicious. It was cooked in a sauce that again was wanting me to leave none in mini cast iron skillet.
-Teres Major with Rosemary Garlic - Beef Tenderloin perfectly cooked in butter with whole garlic served in a mini cast iron skillet. A horseradish sauce and cranberry sauce on the side. OMG...so good! Mixing the gnochi with cranberry sauce...yum.

- We chose a champagne/bitters/aquavit cocktail that was perfect. Very refreshing.

Service was great. Attentive, great teamwork. George, our waiter, answered all the questions we had. He had come from Gram & Dun and was excited that the restaurant had started to get busy over the last couple weeks. Lunch and brunch coming soon.

We cannot wait to go back and order completely different items that are on the menu.

Edit: They are going to be adding sidewalk tables...just not sure on which side of building.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

We're planning to check it out this week, sounds good. Nice to see dining back in 'Uptown'.

BTW, the Uptown district within Midtown is curious. Apparently Union Station area was considered 'Midtown' at the time. During what decade did Midtown start being past Union Hill (now considered part of 'greater' downtown) to about Westport?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Great review, yeah George is awesome, his wife is another waitress there and I believe they have kids so they took a big risk moving from a somewhat steady place like gram and dun to unchartered water. Wonder if this section of midtown would have been more steady in terms of food options if Cafe Trio had stayed in its spot on Broadway. It was always pretty successful at the Broadway location, always busy.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I went to Mesob last night for dinner. It was really good. Had the Caribbean pork dish - Griot. Was a Carnitas-like fried pork dish served on plantains - got the garlic mashed potato side. All of the food was excellent. I will definitely be going back - need to try the the Ethiopian side of the menu. There were only three other tables in there when I was there (730-900 on a Thurs), so I hope they're doing alright.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Some friends went on Tuesday eve, said it was busy. Food was great, service a bit slow.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I went to Krokstrom last weekend. It was fantastic.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Love Krokstrom, hope they're doing well. I would recommend anyone at least check it out, and have a cocktail. Great addition to not just KC but metro dining scene. That little strip on Broadway is slowly evolving into quite a diverse little restaurant hub. Would love to see a wine bar or something of that nature in there somewhere...
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Have tried Krokstrom a few months ago and we especially liked the smorgasbord plate and akvavit sampler but hopefully it's not too pricey for the area. It could do well if a draw outside the immediate neighborhood and Valentine/Uptown area in general seems to be getting there. And there's not much Scandinavian in metro so might be.

Also tried Shio ramen noodle shop next door a while back. Liked the noodles, the soup base not exactly robust but pretty good - chicken based rather than pork based. Will probably hit more often in winter but it will have to compete for my tastebuds with the pho at iPho Tower a few doors down (ask for fried chili paste BTW to give it a kick).

Have yet to try Mesob, heard it can take almost an hour to get food.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

rxlexi wrote:
Love Krokstrom, hope they're doing well. I would recommend anyone at least check it out, and have a cocktail. Great addition to not just KC but metro dining scene. That little strip on Broadway is slowly evolving into quite a diverse little restaurant hub. Would love to see a wine bar or something of that nature in there somewhere...
Its crazy, i think this one block has more diversity in restaurants then the entire Brookside/Waldo area.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kucer wrote:Edit: They are going to be adding sidewalk tables...just not sure on which side of building.
i really hope it's not on the broadway side...
mykn

Post by mykn »

DaveKCMO wrote:
kucer wrote:Edit: They are going to be adding sidewalk tables...just not sure on which side of building.
i really hope it's not on the broadway side...
Its on the Broadway side.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I noticed kind of a pity post from Krokstrom today

It’s been a difficult few months for us. Please come support your only Scandinavian restaurant before it’s gone. We appreciate KCMO and our wonderful Krokstrom family. Starting tonight help us make it to 3 years. ❤️🇸🇪 #savekkm

I do think its a great restaurant and love that we have something unique like this in Kansas City but i think it can be a tad overpriced. Another thing that kind of irks me is that one of the owners seems very unfriendly the few times i've been in there. I never see the guy smile or greet customers, he is just usually on his laptop sitting at the bar.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Yea I agree. I like them but their price point is rough and their space is way too big, it always looks empty even when it has people in it.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

The Krokstrom thing really blew up in one day, they were booked all weekend and booked even next weekend. An article popped up KCUR about the message they posted. I honestly think its not the weather, there is just too much competition and there is gonna be a big correction coming, I am having trouble keeping up with all these new restaurants opening and we eat out about twice a week. Who knows though, maybe apps like Grubhub/Postmates/Door Dash are doing good for some of these restaurants

https://www.kcur.org/post/some-kansas-c ... al-weather
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Restaurant openings do seem to be happening at a faster rate than Midtown population increase.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Uptown Arts bar is closing and reopening with a new owner

https://www.thepitchkc.com/news/article ... operations

I think its a mistake if it rebrands into something else like as a jazz only club or something.

This was a very unique bar, nothing really like it in KC and the diversity of people in this place was amazing, one that may never happen again.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:21 am I think its a mistake if it rebrands into something else like as a jazz only club or something.
Not to be KC sacrilegious, but do people (especially people under 30) really like jazz? I hear people talking using jazz as an attraction for the city, but I don’t really know anyone who would travel to a city for trumpets and saxophones. Fire away!