New Springhill Suites on the Plaza?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

New Springhill Suites on the Plaza?

Post by DaveKCMO »

shame on you, raggers! surely one of you knew about this. couldn't find an existing thread or mention.

http://www.brrarch.com/2013/06/brr-arch ... nsas-city/

and from an upcoming development review meeting:
8:30 AM
JR 1. Case No. 10589-MPD-2 - A request to consider approval of a rezoning of about 0.94 acres from Districts R-1.5 (Residential 1.5) and B1-1 (Neighborhood Business 1 (dash 1)) to MPD (Master Planned Development) and approval of a preliminary plan to permit the development of a 96-room hotel, generally located on the south side of 45th Street between Madison Avenue and Belleview Avenue.

Agent: MHG Hotels, LLC, Rep, Stinson Morrison Hecker, LLP

8:40 AM
JR 2. SD-1461 - Springhill Suites Final Plat - A request to consider approval of a final plat on about 0.94 acres creating one commercial lot, generally located on the south side of 45th Street between Madison Avenue and Belleview Avenue.

Agent: MHG Hotels, LLC, Rep, Stinson Morrison Hecker, LLP.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: New Springhill Suites on the Plaza?

Post by Eon Blue »

I guess they're going to nuke those houses south of 45th. There's a large empty parcel south of 45th along Belleview, but the description doesn't sound like they're talking about that.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Eon Blue wrote:I guess they're going to nuke those houses south of 45th. There's a large empty parcel south of 45th along Belleview, but the description doesn't sound like they're talking about that.
Looking at StreetView, the 2 parcels closest to 45th on both Madison and Belleview have for sale signs in front of them, each being sold as a pair.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Sort of a tangent, but is there a reason why the northern corner of the 47th/Madison/Roanoke intersection has remained vacant since they tore down the Junior League clubhouse? It would be nice to not have to look at the shear walls of BR's garage.

Longview: that streetview is from 2012 or earlier. The little brick building on the SE corner of 45 & Belleview is occupied.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

All the parcels north of the tower add up to just about .94 acres. That doesn't include any of the grassy area (belongs to tower people), who also own that empty lot to the south that had the clubhouse.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Interesting. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for those to go. The two houses at the NE corner of the parcels have been vacant since before 2007. The structures on Belleview have both recently had some work done and are in decent shape but that stretch is pretty marginal for businesses because of traffic speeds and difficult access.
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

chaglang wrote:Sort of a tangent, but is there a reason why the northern corner of the 47th/Madison/Roanoke intersection has remained vacant since they tore down the Junior League clubhouse? It would be nice to not have to look at the shear walls of BR's garage.

Longview: that streetview is from 2012 or earlier. The little brick building on the SE corner of 45 & Belleview is occupied.
I think that corner site has been bypassed several times due to the high traffic on three sides. That said, I think there would be a great opportunity to put some kind of office or mixed use building towards the back of the lot with a big plaza/fountain of some kind where 47th meets Madison. If you coupled that with some crosswalk improvements to connect it to the Plaza a little better, I think it could work well.

BTW, I've been reading this forum for several years but I finally registered this week. Glad to be participating now. 8)
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

:D
Thank you sir, please may I have another?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

jasty5 wrote:
chaglang wrote:Sort of a tangent, but is there a reason why the northern corner of the 47th/Madison/Roanoke intersection has remained vacant since they tore down the Junior League clubhouse? It would be nice to not have to look at the shear walls of BR's garage.

I think that corner site has been bypassed several times due to the high traffic on three sides. That said, I think there would be a great opportunity to put some kind of office or mixed use building towards the back of the lot with a big plaza/fountain of some kind where 47th meets Madison. If you coupled that with some crosswalk improvements to connect it to the Plaza a little better, I think it could work well.

BTW, I've been reading this forum for several years but I finally registered this week. Glad to be participating now. 8)
Glad to have you ;)
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

If you go into the lobby of BR building I believe there is a model that shows the building that is planned for that site. It's been a long time so it might be gone.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

A new development is announced so it's time to start the bitching and nitpicking on the kcrag!

I assume the bungalows will be torn down, which is not too great of a loss (pretty much functionally obsolete as SFH on such a busy street), but I really hope they don't tear down the brick commercial building on the corner. I don't understand why ever single new development seems to involve demo when there is more than ample space on vacant lots.

This concern is compounded by the fact that this will only be a 4 story building. Why not have a smaller footprint and taller building, something more similar to the nearby Hampton or Sheraton. Only four stories seems like a missed opportunity in this spot.

All bitching aside, it will be good to see another vacant lot by the Plaza be filled - hopefully the others will see a similar fate soon.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: I don't understand why ever single new development seems to involve demo when there is more than ample space on vacant lots.
that part has any number of reasons

because the other property owners weren't ready to sell
the owner asked for too much money.
because the shape was wrong. it's long and skinny and the design needs squarish.
or it's zoned wrong. i.e. they want density lower than what's allowed or higher than what's allowed
for the worst case look at the lot across from Bartle Hall on Broadway. It's been tied up in litigation for many years now.

it's not like every lot is available to develop on for every project
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

FWIW, the houses on Madison were last a day care, but have been vacant for 7+ years. I don't know when they were last SFH's. The brick building on the corner eats businesses. The owner may have welcomed the chance to unload it. The bungalow to the south of that has been a business for a couple years, but access is almost impossible.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

New hotel planned near Country Club Plaza

Construction to begin next year. Tudor Wood Works, seven houses, parking garage and surface lot to be demolished.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Unfortunate to see the little brick building on the corner torn down for this ugly thing.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Ugh, should be under a freeway ramp. Makes all the highwoods proposals look absolutely charming.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

lock+load wrote:Unfortunate to see the little brick building on the corner torn down for this ugly thing.
I like that building, too, but its location has proved disastrous. The entry has been smashed by wrecks at that intersection many times.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Sad to see 7 potentially-charming bungalows torn down for this as well.

The area between Westport and the Plaza is becoming quite ugly and place-less. Someone needs to raise the bar here with a really well-designed and charming development.