Martini Corner near 31st/Gilham

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Martini Corner near 31st/Gilham

Post by Demosthenes »

pash wrote:
rxlexi wrote:
And what is it with buildings being damaged by vehicles lately? We've had this one, the one on Independence Avenue and Benton (same day), and the building on 18th and Oak in the Crossroads.
Agreed, this is getting ridiculous. Could become a KC urban nerd meme.
Obviously it's because they couldn't find anywhere else to park.
:lol:
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

FangKC wrote:One would think with the nightclubs down the street, the nearby hospitals and Hallmark, and all the new apartments on Union Hill, that a nice diner--that stayed open pretty late--would do okay in that building.

There really aren't that many old fashioned diners--that serve a variety of menu options--in the Greater Downtown area, or in central Kansas City anyway. One is really at a loss to think of any. Town Topic, Denny's, Chubby's and Winstead's is about it. In New York City, there are diners like this every few blocks. I know we are not NYC...
I think its behavioral- KC doesn't support these places. And, El Torreon is gonna open for music again but I'll bet it operates on a curfew. Their not going to run a 1:AM style venue.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:
FangKC wrote:One would think with the nightclubs down the street, the nearby hospitals and Hallmark, and all the new apartments on Union Hill, that a nice diner--that stayed open pretty late--would do okay in that building.

There really aren't that many old fashioned diners--that serve a variety of menu options--in the Greater Downtown area, or in central Kansas City anyway. One is really at a loss to think of any. Town Topic, Denny's, Chubby's and Winstead's is about it. In New York City, there are diners like this every few blocks. I know we are not NYC...
I think its behavioral- KC doesn't support these places. And, El Torreon is gonna open for music again but I'll bet it operates on a curfew. Their not going to run a 1:AM style venue.
It's not behavioral, it has to do with walkability.

The neighborhoods which are walkable have good amenities. Downtown Liberty, old Overland Park, Westport, Plaza, Indep Ave, Indep (the city) Square, etc.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

In case anyone didn't see it already in the Pitch:

Haus has closed
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I'm surprised but I'm not. Could have been so much better.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

swid wrote:In case anyone didn't see it already in the Pitch:

Haus has closed
This would be a great place for a permanent Pigwich location, i love the inside of the building
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

swid wrote:In case anyone didn't see it already in the Pitch:

Haus has closed
On so many trips to KC my wife and I had meant to try this place - we finally did a few days before Christmas. I know the place had been there for a while but it seemed unfinisfed and much more like a bar than a restaurant. On top of the unfinished look, it was extremely cold in the place (In retrospect, given recent events, they may have been trying to cut back on expenses) and most of the customers remained in their coats adding to the unfinished feel to the place. Later in our visit, the place got very smoky so they opened the door to air it out making it extremely uncomfortable for the diners. The food was pretty good - we enjoyed our bratwursts and it had a more than decent beer selection. Regardless, the place really needed a little polish to broaden its appeal and the service was pretty much of the "I'll bring you your drinks and food but don't expect me to give a shit" variety.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Would think it would be easy to get a new eats joint in that spot as well as expand the area with more places. Gilham Row and Armour upgrades as well as many new units are bringing in more people with disposable incomes. But is time for 31st/Gilham area to start refocusing on neighborhood amenities, not just bars/restaurants. Hundreds of new units coming online soon.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... -barrel-31

Chef from Providence New American Kitchen (President Hotel) is going to Barrel 31. I went to Barrel 31 over the holidays. Had a good time, but was service comically bad/grumpy for no reason. The menu seemed to fit the theme and my group was happy with our food overall. From reviews I've read, turnover of staff (kitchen and front of house) has been an issue, hopefully this move brings some stability and consistency.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Conversely, we went to Providence a couple of weeks ago and the food was quite good. I didn't remember the menu being quite so "comfort" oriented the last time, so he shouldn't have any problem transitioning to the new format.

Also, as it relates to Highlanders comment about eating options close to P&L, I noticed that Providence was open daily for lunch, with fairly reasonable prices. Does it fill up as well?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

earthling wrote:Would think it would be easy to get a new eats joint in that spot as well as expand the area with more places. Gilham Row and Armour upgrades as well as many new units are bringing in more people with disposable incomes. But is time for 31st/Gilham area to start refocusing on neighborhood amenities, not just bars/restaurants. Hundreds of new units coming online soon.
I am really looking forward to the day when retail jumps east of gilham on the 31st there. So much room for a really cool district beyond that one corner. I think it's starting to happen with a few community nonprofits taking up space, but I'd like to see actual restaurant and bar scene expand there.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

That stretch could become another W39th if it tried. Needs neighborhood amenities too. Liquor store, check. Bike shop, check. A small market/drugstore with counter food could probably make it now - pharmacy would be nice too but Costco is close. There was a hair salon but think it closed, could probably work now. Used bookstore would be cool with comfy seating/coffee bar. Urbane clothing stores may make it but maybe not until the rest of the constructing units go online. That area otherwise could use some ethnic eats like W39th has, and a neighborhood diner. I hear many living/moving there lean professional young women from much larger markets accustomed to neighborhoody urbane strips as described. What else does W39th have that Martini Corner could use (and realistically support)?

One particularly good move - El Torrean is back as an all ages altie music venue.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

earthling wrote:
One particularly good move - El Torrean is back as an all ages altie music venue.
Is this true? It's no longer a church or whatever?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Both? Pitch says just started booking music so might take a while to kick into gear. Would be good if they also get touring indie bands again.

http://www.eltorreonkc.com/about/
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

I thought it was weird it had a 417 area code phone number, which eventually led me to this nice little write up about the new management/whatever. http://www.stopridingthepine.com/arin-gilbert/
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

earthling wrote:Both? Pitch says just started booking music so might take a while to kick into gear. Would be good if they also get touring indie bands again.

http://www.eltorreonkc.com/about/
Nice website. Hope they make it. I like the Merch with the tower on it.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It appears the Velvet Freeze Building is getting redeveloped by a Colorado developer. I caught mention of it in a story about the same developer making an offer on the Kansas City Club building on Baltimore. I did a little research on Epoch Developments and found their Denver address on 15th Street. The owner of the Velvet Freeze Building on the city's KivaNet database shows the same address. The developer has a history of developing spaces for startups, business incubator, and co-working spaces.
The filing indicates Epoch Developments LLC is offering to buy the (Kansas City Club) building "as is where is." The sale is not contingent on any financing or due diligence period. Epoch Developments, according to its LinkedIn page, is a Denver-based developer focused on "adaptive reuse conversions, incubators, lofts, micro-apartments and accelerators."

Craig Slawson, owner of Epoch, said he would like to redo the four-story, 48,750-square-foot building as an event space or possibly as a club space once again. Slawson said he's active in downtown Denver, where he has a startup incubator and coworking space.

The company is also working on a project at the intersection of 31st Street and Gillham Road near the "Martini Corner" area of Kansas City. He expects that redevelopment project will debut in 2016.
Here is the address listed on KivaNet.

VELVET FREEZE LLC
Address: 1614 15TH STREET STE 300
DENVER, CO, 80202-

Here is the LinkedIn address for Epoch Developments.

Headquarters
1614 15th street Suite 300 Denver, CO 80202 United States

https://www.linkedin.com/company/epoch-developments

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... t_20150824

KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I did hear about the Velvet Freeze development a few months ago and it was described as residential "with some really cool community features on the first floor." With this companies history, maybe that will be co-working or business incubator space.

In other 31st St news, it looks like a restaurant with the (unfortunate) name of Attitude will be opening at 31st and Cherry. I can't find much info, outside an Instagram page lacking in details:
http://www.pikore.com/attitudeinkc
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Wouldn't it be great if all the small storefront shop buildings could get filled from Main to Troost?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

moderne wrote:Wouldn't it be great if all the small storefront shop buildings could get filled from Main to Troost?
With all the young professionals moving into Gilham/Union Hill new developments and along Armour, it's time to create another W39th along E31st. All they have are restaurants/bars. Is time for some neighborhood retail/amenities.