Martini Corner near 31st/Gilham

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Martini Corner near 31st/Gilham

Post by kcjak »

WSPanic wrote:
moderne wrote:Don't understand the objections. About the only project to attempt incorporating an historic building. That concrete wall "eliminating any interaction with the street" is not monolithic and is a reasonable solution to a sloping site. It is very close to sidewalk level at the south end and slopes to meet the garage entrance. Quite similar to the Founders buildings across the street. As someone who lives on the street, I don't want random interaction with the street unless and until I choose it.
Couldn't agree more. Nothing wrong with the solution offered for the North building. I think this project is great - hope it gets done.

The teeth gnashing and hand wringing that goes on around here regarding about the 10 seconds it takes to walk past a building boggles my mind.
If you chose between a forgettable 10 seconds to walk past a building or 10 seconds that is memorable because of visual interaction with the environment, most people would choose the latter.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Cafe Europa to open a location at 30th and Gillham, breakfast,lunch, dinner, and prepared foods section. Outdoor seating area.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

moderne wrote:Cafe Europa to open a location at 30th and Gillham, breakfast,lunch, dinner, and prepared foods section. Outdoor seating area.
Good news, which building?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Great news, I love that place. I don't wanna start a fight, but they have the best fried chicken in town (only on Sundays).
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Is that restaurant Attitude ever gonna open, seems like it was suppose to open a year ago
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

taxi wrote:Great news, I love that place. I don't wanna start a fight, but they have the best fried chicken in town (only on Sundays).
I'll have to try their fried chicken, but am currently hooked on the Sunday-only chicken at Char Bar. I try to like Cafe Europa, but always leave underwhelmed, so maybe the chicken will do the trick. But I don't really get what restaurant is going for - used to be more French, but now more bistro and then they go and throw in fried rice, chilaquiles and comfort food on Sundays.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Fight started. Like North End better, but Europa has much better sides.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Is that restaurant Attitude ever gonna open, seems like it was suppose to open a year ago
4 weeks ago: "After months of back and forth with the city we are finally in the home stretch and hopefully soon these tables will be surrounded by people enjoying the food we make."

https://www.instagram.com/attitudeinkc/
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

I worked at Cafe Europa for a year and a few months. It was very interesting.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Ha! Faint praise.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

grovester wrote:Fight started. Like North End better, but Europa has much better sides.
Hate to do it, but...

Gus's has the best fried chicken in metro KC now.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

chingon wrote:
grovester wrote:Fight started. Like North End better, but Europa has much better sides.
Hate to do it, but...

I agree. Unfortunately KC does not have great choices when it comes to fried chicken. We're not in Nashville.

I enjoyed the fried chicken at Cafe Europa for awhile until I was taking home pounds and pounds of leftovers and the enjoyment slowly faded. Working from open to close every Sunday for 60+ weeks, setting up brunch, cleaning the kitchen between shifts and then frying racks and racks of chicken parts until I myself became a fried chicken part probably didn't fire up my palate for their fried chicken either.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

JBmidtown wrote:
chingon wrote:
Hate to do it, but...

I agree. Unfortunately KC does not have great choices when it comes to fried chicken. We're not in Nashville.

I enjoyed the fried chicken at Cafe Europa for awhile until I was taking home pounds and pounds of leftovers and the enjoyment slowly faded. Working from open to close every Sunday for 60+ weeks, setting up brunch, cleaning the kitchen between shifts and then frying racks and racks of chicken parts until I myself became a fried chicken part probably didn't fire up my palate for their fried chicken either.
I had the same experience with shrimp after peeling cooler after cooler in New Orleans.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

chingon wrote:
Hate to do it, but...

I agree, some don't like it though and think its overpriced but I love it. This is the only chicken where i have eaten the entire skin.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

pash wrote:So ... you are a giant piece of fried chicken ... and thanks to the music thread, we know where you live ...
did I say fried chicken? uh...I meant fermented fish. Yeah! That's it. Fermented fish. 8-[
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

JBmidtown wrote:Unfortunately KC does not have great choices when it comes to fried chicken. We're not in Nashville.
Boy. There are very few things I find pleasant, unique or interesting, much less compelling, about Nashville, but that chicken is absolutely special.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Neighborhood meeting on the Velvet Freeze building tonight. They are not seeking incentives. Sounds like there have been discussions with a local Sundry-like business for the retail space on 31st. Lots of bike features, rails in the halls, large elevator and storage in every apartment. Rents as low as $1.15 per square foot. She seemed really concerned with keeping it affordable. My feeling is that the wall facing the sidewalk is planned to be significantly better than what's in the rendering, much more of a green garden wall with a bunch of plants.

Plenty of push-back on parking from NIMBYs. She says that she wants to check property records on tenants to make sure they don't have cars that are being parked on neighborhood streets. Not nearly as much push-back on density as I would have thought. Seemed like if there would have been a bigger parking garage, those folks would have been almost completely happy with it.

If they can't get approval on the parking issue, she would likely just renovate the Velvet Freeze building and put surface parking where the new building is planned but she definitely did not want to do that.