Martini Corner near 31st/Gilham

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Martini Corner near 31st/Gilham

Post by moderne »

Is anything ever going to happen there? Its dragging down the whole neighborhood. Union Hill Founders is below 80% occupancy for the first time ever. The building on the SW corner of 30th & Gillham has only 4 occupied units out of 23 total.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

moderne wrote:Is anything ever going to happen there? Its dragging down the whole neighborhood. Union Hill Founders is below 80% occupancy for the first time ever. The building on the SW corner of 30th & Gillham has only 4 occupied units out of 23 total.
My guess?....there may be something else going on contributing to low occupancy besides an empty building nearby.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

loftguy wrote:
moderne wrote:Is anything ever going to happen there? Its dragging down the whole neighborhood. Union Hill Founders is below 80% occupancy for the first time ever. The building on the SW corner of 30th & Gillham has only 4 occupied units out of 23 total.
My guess?....there may be something else going on contributing to low occupancy besides an empty building nearby.
Last time I was in the founders it was in need of some upgrades. Though surely the new buildings are nice? Maybe folks don't like living on the Gillham Drag Strip (TM)? Perhaps a nice narrowed street with a bike path would be more supportive.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

How could you do bike lanes here? Gillham is only 4 lanes wide where Armour had 6.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Gillham had a de facto road diet for a year or two while those buildings were being built and everything worked out.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chaglang wrote:Gillham had a de facto road diet for a year or two while those buildings were being built and everything worked out.
*nods approvingly*
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Korean restaurant in 3100 block of Gillham now open.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Here is an interesting plan for infill at 32nd and McGee (currently vacant lot/community garden). It is for a "cottage community" with 4 "cabins". I wonder if the plan is to use these for Airbnb.

taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Good to see they'll save money on windows.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I am gonna say that Rockafire closes by October. The place is usually dead on a Saturday and the overall atmosphere kind of sucks.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:23 pm I am gonna say that Rockafire closes by October. The place is usually dead on a Saturday and the overall atmosphere kind of sucks.
I'll take April.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:23 pm I am gonna say that Rockafire closes by October. The place is usually dead on a Saturday and the overall atmosphere kind of sucks.
Guess they closed in February. Why is that spot so bad? Nothing ever lasts in that building
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:46 am
Guess they closed in February. Why is that spot so bad? Nothing ever lasts in that building
I think Martini Corner is overvalued as an entertainment destination. Tower, Sol Cantina and Ollie's have pretty dedicated regulars/fans that go there on weekdays. I don't think the area pulls enough people to support a hip weekend hotspot. Rockafire needed to do more to build their weekday. Maybe some skee ball leagues or something.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

WSPanic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:24 am
brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:46 am
I think Martini Corner is overvalued as an entertainment destination. Tower, Sol Cantina and Ollie's have pretty dedicated regulars/fans that go there on weekdays. I don't think the area pulls enough people to support a hip weekend hotspot. Rockafire needed to do more to build their weekday. Maybe some skee ball leagues or something.
It seems like they tried really hard to market it as an entertainment destination 10-15 years ago but now it seems like more of a Neighborhood Destination, i think the area could use a more of a casual restaurant instead of another bar/nightclub/next entertainment fad

It would be kind of funny if the next people turned it into an Escape Room or Ax Throwing Place
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I think an axe throwing escape room would be fun.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

I personally enjoy the area as a neighborhood destination. Great neighborhood/Local feel! Would love to see more infill from main to Troost.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It has the potential to become another W39th but not likely to occur when two entities own most of 31st stretch (from what I understand).
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

And what happened to The Drop, btw? I thought the original rumor was that the existing owners were closing and rebranding. That seems like it was some time ago.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

WSPanic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:12 pm And what happened to The Drop, btw? I thought the original rumor was that the existing owners were closing and rebranding. That seems like it was some time ago.
Freshwater talked about going in that spot then another restaurant had considered it. This area could use restaurant concept like Summit Grill
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

An Indian restaurant might do well with the recent influx along Armour and Gilham stretches. The city core doesn't have very good Indian places, most of the good ones are in JoCo.