Union Hill Development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: Union Hill Development

Post by scooterj »

It looks like the Residence Inn - Union Hill (2975 Main) has closed. The sign has come down and the hotel web site shows no available rooms ever again. Has anyone heard anything about plans for this site?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

That's curious, it seemed pretty busy - apparently not enough. Conversion to residential maybe?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The new hotel at 16th/Main is half residence inn.

Would make sense they're changing who they're affiliated with and need to close for the conversion
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

With downtown room count still generally below par even including all the planned rooms, would think maintaining both Residence Inns would work, especially given current one is up hill towards Midtown with no other hotels in that area (and at a MAX stop). Would think all the Fed Reserve contractors and longish term visitors alone would keep that one busy, and it did seem to stay fairly busy.

Maybe they are closing temporarily for a modern overhaul now that new one is open? Although if the sign has been taken down...

edit: Forgot there is a Fairfield Inn across the street on 30th, also Marriott.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Yeah and the Fairfield still seems to be open. (My office window looks right out onto them.) Both places were slammed during the recent basketball tournaments, the Residence Inn appears to have quickly closed right after those ended.
SimplyKC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SimplyKC »

For what it is worth, they just painted the exterior of The Residence Inn a few weeks ago.

Edit: A bit more info, I drove by and they have two rolloff dumpsters in the parking lot. They could be there for an interior remodel. Also, their shuttle van is still there which is a newer one. My bet is that they are remodeling and returning.

On Martini Corner, 'The Drop' closed recently, but I drove by there and there is paper in the windows and the lights were on, so they are coming back as a new concept as they stated in a Star article on their closing.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

SimplyKC wrote:For what it is worth, they just painted the exterior of The Residence Inn a few weeks ago.

Edit: A bit more info, I drove by and they have two rolloff dumpsters in the parking lot. They could be there for an interior remodel. Also, their shuttle van is still there which is a newer one. My bet is that they are remodeling and returning.
That could be. Many of the reviews say it's otherwise a great place but that it desperately needs some remodeling.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Found a permit related to this work - looks like these are being converted to apartments.

Permit

KCDowntown
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCDowntown wrote:Found a permit related to this work - looks like these are being converted to apartments.

Permit

KCDowntown

"Union Hill on Main" -- Opening in May, so they mustn't be doing that much renovating. Several charity trucks are picking up all the mattresses right now. The new owner must not want leaves near the pool as they are currently chopping down the trees on the front corner.

http://unionhill.com/leasing/platinum-lifestyle/ (Third section down.)
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

"Attitude" at 31st and Cherry now open for breakfast and lunch 7-2. Decor can only be described as funky.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

More on the Residence Inn to apartment conversion...
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... rsion.html
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

moderne wrote:"Attitude" at 31st and Cherry now open for breakfast and lunch 7-2. Decor can only be described as funky.
Menu looks good.

https://attitudeinkc.com/
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

It seemed like that took forever to get opened. I remember it being announced like back in 2014
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Loved attitude. Very well priced (I think every meal is under 10 bucks) and overall good food. I really think the river market to plaza needs more of these lower tier but good quality restaurants. I think this area focuses to much on fine dining.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Her price points are good. The 2 egg meat and potato breakfast for $8.00 is $12.00 at Cafe Europa.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Mural being painted on the ugly concrete wall below the pool across the street from the Cadillac building.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

new signage for the hotel-turned-apartments on main:

SimplyKC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SimplyKC »

moderne wrote:Her price points are good. The 2 egg meat and potato breakfast for $8.00 is $12.00 at Cafe Europa.
I know this is an old post, but my wife and i recently went to to Attitude and really enjoyed it. The interior is full of character. The was a number of customers there too, but they probably deserve more.

They are "order at the counter" but are very efficient. I like the self serve drinks personally. They offered my wife a to go cup for her coffee when we left.

To add on to the comparison to Cafe Europa; Attitude: $8 + $.80 tax + $1.60 tip = $10.40..Cafe Europa: $12 +$1.20 tax + $2.40 tip = $15.60. That is quite a difference!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Attitude feels much like You Say Tomato, different twist on comfort breakfast - pretty good. For a good deal at Cafe Europa, try the breakfast english muffin sandwich - ask for side of salsa verde as it's otherwise dry, this perks it up a notch too. Served with our favorite breakfast potatoes in town. Only $7.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Former Union Hill Motel Converted to Apartments

https://cityscenekc.com/former-union-hi ... partments/