Union Hill Development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Union Hill Development

Post by Eon Blue »

chaglang wrote:Why is that street so wide?
Looks to be about 46' curb to curb based on Google Earth. That's just right for 3 traffic lanes (30'), one parking lane (8') and two bike lanes (8').
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

32,000 gallon cistern(rain barrel) going in now behind M cGee building. It looks like 4 five foot high pipe sections joined together and being buried in gravel. Supposed to collect runoff from the buildings to store for landscape irrigation.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote:I would assume because it's part of the boulevard system.
It's not.

The parcel viewer marks those in green so they're easy to identify
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Gillham to undergo road diet at McGee. McGee at intersection to be significantly narrowed with shorter crosswalk and angle parking.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

moderne wrote:Gillham to undergo road diet at McGee. McGee at intersection to be significantly narrowed with shorter crosswalk and angle parking.
That's great news.

We were trying to figure out what is going in on the first floor of the new building on McGee. It looks like it could be retail, but there also appears to only be one entrance to a pretty large space. That made me think it's going to be a fitness center or something like that.

Are there plans for the SW corner of McGee and Gillham? Having a small commercial building there to hide the side of the new building and the swimming pool/retaining wall of the existing buildings would be a big improvement.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It is retail space on first floor, not leased, could be one space or two, enclosed parking behind, apartment lobby in middle. Nothing planned for that awkward space by swimming pool but landscaping.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

First floor tennants to begin moving in Friday pending city granting temporary occupancy permit.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

They're putting sod down on the awkward hill by the pool. What a great space this would've been for a small pocket park with a fountain or sculpture.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

They're putting sod down on the awkward hill by the pool. What a great space this would've been for a small pocket park with a fountain or sculpture.
Agreed. I am actually kind of shocked they would just leave this corner sitting as awkwardly as it does currently. Even a large neighborhood sign or...something would help to give the McGee side some definition.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

rxlexi wrote:
Agreed. I am actually kind of shocked they would just leave this corner sitting as awkwardly as it does currently. Even a large neighborhood sign or...something would help to give the McGee side some definition.
I'd be ok with some old-timey billboard as a nod to the history of that part of town. Anything but the blank side of the new building and a retaining wall.

The new building looks teriffic.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

This developer does a lot of things that leaves me scratching my head. My occupancy date has been shifted again for the 4th time. Originally August 4, now mid November. Drive by at night, the exterior lighting actually makes it look like there is some architecture.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I wonder what happened to the buildings along 30th. I notice that they did not install the balconies shown in the rendering. However, it looks as though they did install the balcony/porch lighting and then covered over it with wall plates? Forgive my terminology. Anyway, it has left the building looking just a little flat.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Perhaps the project was over-budget, and they needed to cut out some expenses.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

FangKC wrote:Perhaps the project was over-budget, and they needed to cut out some expenses.
That could be. They should have sorted that prior to cutting the holes in the facade! ;)
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I rode through the Union Hill area yesterday. The apartment buildings on 30th look to have occupants. The buildings themselves don't look too bad, I can't complain. Unfortunately, the single-family homes on DeGroff and McGee leave a bit to be desired. The houses on DeGroff look like they took something you'd find on a large plot of rural land and turned it sideways to fit the urban lot. The houses on McGee are nothing more than suburban snoot houses with the garage entries turned to the side. What is so hard about design *urban* infill?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Eon Blue wrote:I rode through the Union Hill area yesterday. The apartment buildings on 30th look to have occupants. The buildings themselves don't look too bad, I can't complain. Unfortunately, the single-family homes on DeGroff and McGee leave a bit to be desired. The houses on DeGroff look like they took something you'd find on a large plot of rural land and turned it sideways to fit the urban lot. The houses on McGee are nothing more than suburban snoot houses with the garage entries turned to the side. What is so hard about design *urban* infill?
The homes on De Groff were designed to mimic the handful of 'sideways' homes already on De Groff. For better or worse, the developers added new homes while retaining the character of what makes that block unique.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I guess I can see that, now that I think about it. Still doesn't explain the houses on McGee. I'd take the new houses on Charlotte in Longfellow over those.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Eon Blue wrote:I guess I can see that, now that I think about it. Still doesn't explain the houses on McGee. I'd take the new houses on Charlotte in Longfellow over those.
Agree. While I like the new apartment buildings and am fine with the De Groff homes, the new ones going up on McGee are underwhelming.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Fire in Mcgee building second floor this afternoon. Fire hose hook and ladder pumping hose into second floor.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

New book on Union Hill Cemetary, book signing Plaza Library Tuesday evening.