JJ's Restaurant at 48th and Belleview Destroyed by Fire

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: JJ's Restaurant at 48th and Belleview Destroyed by Fire

Post by Midtownkid »

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/08/20/44 ... -28th.html

Owners taking bids for the reconstruction. May or may not happen. They are looking to reconstruct some or most of the terra cotta facade...don't want a "cinder block building"
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

JJ's to reopen in Midtown?

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... n-location
Frantze is holding his cards close to his chest while he's in negotiations, but he says the location he's looking at is not on the Plaza or in Westport - but not in Johnson County, either.

"We're staying close to the heart of the city," Frantze says.

The location he's interested in leasing, Frantze says, would be slightly larger than the original restaurant and would feature a substantial outdoor patio.
I'm curious where this could be. Can anyone think of any existing restaurant spots that would fit this description, or would it have to be a conversion? The Pitch headline says Midtown, but from the quotes, it sounds like it could also be Crossroads, Downtown, River Market, etc.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Today is the 1-year anniversary, by the way.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

I forget if their is already a plan for the Hamburger Mary's building once that business leaves, but do you think this might be the spot JJ's is considering? Such a different building from their last, but they say they want a patio and this is probably the best one available. Prime location too. Any thoughts?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

They need to tear that nasty building down and building a nice mid-rise with a better restaurant/patio space incorporated into the design and apartments above. It's an ideal location for that. Maybe 6-8 stories? Get Hufft or someone super clean and modern to design it.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

According to comments on the Pitch article (so, obviously, take with a large dosage of salt), one commenter said "It's the old osco bldg on main." Another commenter said there is another article that declares it will be a total build-out, so that would rule our Hamburger Mary's.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:According to comments on the Pitch article (so, obviously, take with a large dosage of salt), one commenter said "It's the old osco bldg on main." Another commenter said there is another article that declares it will be a total build-out, so that would rule our Hamburger Mary's.
The Osco at Main & Westport? It's not going there. There are already artist studios in there, and there are plans to eventually open a gallery.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I am very skeptical of JJs going to the Osco/Katz building on Main as well, but I don't know if the current ownership and plans would necessarily eliminate the possibility. Maybe Redeemer is have difficulties making their plans financially viable and need to rent out part of the building to pay for the rest - or perhaps they are abandoning the plans altogether. I know it is a long shot, but I don't think it is impossible.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:I am very skeptical of JJs going to the Osco/Katz building on Main as well, but I don't know if the current ownership and plans would necessarily eliminate the possibility. Maybe Redeemer is have difficulties making their plans financially viable and need to rent out part of the building to pay for the rest - or perhaps they are abandoning the plans altogether. I know it is a long shot, but I don't think it is impossible.
Are they thinking of doing that? They seemed committed to the studio/gallery vision a month or two ago. Money didn't sound like it was a problem at all.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Midtownkid wrote:They need to tear that nasty building down and building a nice mid-rise with a better restaurant/patio space incorporated into the design and apartments above. It's an ideal location for that. Maybe 6-8 stories? Get Hufft or someone super clean and modern to design it.
Funny, I would normally agree with you but I like this building. Don't know why. It's patio is so dominant that it kind of makes the building feel like the center of something.

No doubt Hufft could create a nice replacement, one with more density which is always nice. But I think there is a certain charm to this building.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

From what I hear, the new location will be very close to the old one. It will not be on the Plaza.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCLofts wrote:From what I hear, the new location will be very close to the old one. It will not be on the Plaza.
the old one wasn't *on* the Plaza. The customer facing Plaza ends at Jefferson, with the parking garage behind Panera and Unity being the westernmost section, stopping north of 48th

I doubt most people made the distinction though. That part of town names are quite flexible. Like what's the exact boundary between Westport and The Plaza? I'd take any number of answers.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Maybe they'll move into the Ruth's Chris spot.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

flyingember wrote:the old one wasn't *on* the Plaza. The customer facing Plaza ends at Jefferson, with the parking garage behind Panera and Unity being the westernmost section, stopping north of 48th
I agree that the old location was not on the Plaza. And also saying that the new location is not on the Plaza as others have speculated (i.e. Coal Vines). But it is Plaza-adjacent, just like the old location, according to what I hear.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Perhaps it could anchor the new development at 51st and Main?
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

smh wrote:Perhaps it could anchor the new development at 51st and Main?
Possible. I heard a rumor that JJ's was moving to South Plaza, though the rumor was definitely unreliable. Makes sense though.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

smh wrote:Perhaps it could anchor the new development at 51st and Main?
That would be great, I would love it if this happens!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Also, what about the Jack Gage/Beacon building? I've never been in there, so I don't know the feel or the patio potential.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

is there anything empty around 44th-46th and Main? I wouldn't dismiss locating on phase 2 streetcar

Keep in mind that one of the owners is a real estate lawyer that's worked with major urban KC projects. They understand the subject more than almost anyone
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

flyingember wrote:is there anything empty around 44th-46th and Main? I wouldn't dismiss locating on phase 2 streetcar

Keep in mind that one of the owners is a real estate lawyer that's worked with major urban KC projects. They understand the subject more than almost anyone
Is the Jardine's space still empty?