Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Post by AlbertHammond »

chaglang wrote:If you're genuinely curious about this - as opposed to just complaining here about it every couple of months - the KCMO Planning and Development phone number is 816-513-1500. Last I heard, they're still working on the plan but are criminally understaffed.
No....its dead on the vine. Someone might resurrect it, but by then it will be a raisin. ...just hoping others here raise a little hell.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Are you saying that because you called them and they said that or because you have some inside knowledge? Believe they're statutorily required to update area plans every 10 years. So it probably can't just go away.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I got a postcard in the mail from KC, someone wants to build townhomes on the empty lots at 34th and Baltimore/Wyandotte.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

chaglang wrote:Are you saying that because you called them and they said that or because you have some inside knowledge? Believe they're statutorily required to update area plans every 10 years. So it probably can't just go away.
When was the Westport plan last updated? 1998
Oak Park Area Pan? 1977
Troostwood? 1999
South Volker? 1989
South Central? 1999
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Believe those were all rolled into the MPAP. Guessing the statutory requirement to update them every 10 years happened at the same time.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I got a postcard in the mail from KC, someone wants to build townhomes on the empty lots at 34th and Baltimore/Wyandotte.
I live on 34th & Wyandotte & this sounds great! Anything new on this?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

schugg wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:I got a postcard in the mail from KC, someone wants to build townhomes on the empty lots at 34th and Baltimore/Wyandotte.
I live on 34th & Wyandotte & this sounds great! Anything new on this?
Marty, the old hp president is upset with the design, it looked pretty suburban so he wants them to update the design. These will be market rate townhomes for sale. Its supposed to be a very green design
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Marty, the old hp president is upset with the design, it looked pretty suburban so he wants them to update the design. These will be market rate townhomes for sale. Its supposed to be a very green design
What does it look like? Is it that bad, or just the neighborhood not wanting townhouses?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

beautyfromashes wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:
What does it look like? Is it that bad, or just the neighborhood not wanting townhouses?

This is the company doing the townhomes http://www.sunsourcehomes.net/, I think everyone is really for this project, some of the concerns were that there were too many curbcuts in the project, also the garages were a promient feature in the design, similar to what you would see in subdivision in the suburbs. They agreed to go back to the drawing board so we hope to see something new in a couple weeks
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Are they also building on the vacant parcels adjacent facing Baltimore? That appears to be a L-shaped set of vacant parcels.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Yeap it's that entire section of Baltimore and 34th
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Seems like they could arrange the townhouses in a manner where the garages are in the back accessed via a single driveway from 34th Street, and not have any garage doors facing the street.

It might require a redesign of the townhouses, or a selection of another existing townhouse design with garages in the back. The townhouses across the street have the garages in the back.

If the garage doors are in the front, there are ways to make them look more attractive than standard white garage doors. There are all kinds of cool designs these days.One can also set back the garages in between the townhouses to hide them a bit. However, the real problem is having all those asphalt driveways crossing the sidewalk, and cutouts on the curbs. Leaves little or no room for street parking.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I believe that Baltimore is one way there, so there won't be any street parking lost. I agree, garages should ideally be in the back accessed by an 'alley' or between the structures. Keep the structures historic looking or modern. No stucco.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Has anyone seen the renderings for these townhouses, or know what architecture firm is doing them?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

(click to enlarge)
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Those look pretty great to me. Hope their development will further the renovation and general clean up of the area.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Eh I find them pretty meh... Is there not any way to put all the parking in back.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Midtownkid wrote:Those look pretty great to me. Hope their development will further the renovation and general clean up of the area.
Agree! A good project for the neighborhood.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

"design sucks/not tall enough/looks like 119th and black bob/cheap materials/needs ground floor retail"