Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Post by chaglang »

Demosthenes wrote:Get rid of the fast food and dumpy houses, build nice apartment buildings on both sides of street, and give Linwood a road diet and beautification and it could suddenly be a great street to live on.
On the Midtown Marketplace thread you were just lamenting the loss of local grit in that neighborhood. ;-)
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

keep in mind the area referred to was river market to the plaza.

which obviously is doing well for residential.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

chaglang wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:Get rid of the fast food and dumpy houses, build nice apartment buildings on both sides of street, and give Linwood a road diet and beautification and it could suddenly be a great street to live on.
On the Midtown Marketplace thread you were just lamenting the loss of local grit in that neighborhood. ;-)
True :D . I could do without fast food grit though lol.
flyingember wrote:keep in mind the area referred to was river market to the plaza.

which obviously is doing well for residential.
Yea it is doing alright, but how much of the residential can be directly attributed to Midtown Marketplace? That was the question, and there is none.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Not new residential units but many of the old units and owners can be very thankfull to the Marketplace for the funds its provides for home repairs and improvements.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

The place serves a purpose but it's flat out one of KC's biggest urban planning disasters - if not its biggest. The development, right smack in the middle of a major American city, is not even dense by southern Johnson County or Blue Springs standards. It could have been done so much better but city management was really brain dead during that period.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Highlander wrote:The place serves a purpose but it's flat out one of KC's biggest urban planning disasters - if not its biggest. The development, right smack in the middle of a major American city, is not even dense by southern Johnson County or Blue Springs standards. It could have been done so much better but city management was really brain dead during that period.
The Midtown Marketplace thread is hopping right now.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chaglang wrote:
Highlander wrote:The place serves a purpose but it's flat out one of KC's biggest urban planning disasters - if not its biggest. The development, right smack in the middle of a major American city, is not even dense by southern Johnson County or Blue Springs standards. It could have been done so much better but city management was really brain dead during that period.
It's among my great pet peeves about KC. The idea that somehow suburban development was needed in the urban core - that was the intent of this development, the sprawl isn't there by accident, it's how it was conceived, it was seen as a good thing. For many years, KC leaders had the idiotic notion that to compete with the burbs, the city had to become burb-like. It was poorly conceived and executed project. Like I said, it has a function but that's meaningless and its not the issue, the fact that it takes a square mile of land in the core when it could have been fit easily onto a quarter of that footprint is the obvious problem. The city was absolutely desperate to get something there and desperation has never led to much good in KC.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Highlander wrote:
chaglang wrote:
It's among my great pet peeves about KC. The idea that somehow suburban development was needed in the urban core - that was the intent of this development, the sprawl isn't there by accident, it's how it was conceived, it was seen as a good thing. For many years, KC leaders had the idiotic notion that to compete with the burbs, the city had to become burb-like. It was poorly conceived and executed project. Like I said, it has a function but that's meaningless and its not the issue, the fact that it takes a square mile of land in the core when it could have been fit easily onto a quarter of that footprint is the obvious problem. The city was absolutely desperate to get something there and desperation has never led to much good in KC.
No, I was hinting that the best place for this discussion is over on that thread. :D
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

Back to the original discussion....whatever became of the Midtown/Plaza Area Plan started last year? Is it published?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I believe it's due out this summer.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

......crickets.......
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

AlbertHammond wrote:......crickets.......
we're only halfway through summer. approx June 20 to Sep 20.

it's not late yet
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

Rumor has it the plan died on the vine. The process ran out of steam because the planning staff is not capable of completing it in a meaningful way. I hope I am wrong, but it sounds like it wasted not only a great opportunity, but a lot of time from concerned citizens.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I can verify that's not true.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

chaglang wrote:I can verify that's not true.
GREAT NEWS!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Has anyone noticed that there is construction on the VFW parking lot across from Browne's? What is being built there? Looked like foundations being set today.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

beautyfromashes wrote:Has anyone noticed that there is construction on the VFW parking lot across from Browne's? What is being built there? Looked like foundations being set today.
Kiva suggests parking lot improvements.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

smh wrote:parking lot improvements.
Oxymoron alert.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

chaglang wrote:I believe it's due out this summer.
Ummm..........
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

If you're genuinely curious about this - as opposed to just complaining here about it every couple of months - the KCMO Planning and Development phone number is 816-513-1500. Last I heard, they're still working on the plan but are criminally understaffed.