Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
User avatar
chaglang
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Postby chaglang » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:35 am

Demosthenes wrote:Get rid of the fast food and dumpy houses, build nice apartment buildings on both sides of street, and give Linwood a road diet and beautification and it could suddenly be a great street to live on.

On the Midtown Marketplace thread you were just lamenting the loss of local grit in that neighborhood. ;-)

flyingember
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5971
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Postby flyingember » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:37 am

keep in mind the area referred to was river market to the plaza.

which obviously is doing well for residential.

User avatar
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 569
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:50 pm
Location: CBD

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Postby Demosthenes » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:37 pm

chaglang wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:Get rid of the fast food and dumpy houses, build nice apartment buildings on both sides of street, and give Linwood a road diet and beautification and it could suddenly be a great street to live on.

On the Midtown Marketplace thread you were just lamenting the loss of local grit in that neighborhood. ;-)


True :D . I could do without fast food grit though lol.

flyingember wrote:keep in mind the area referred to was river market to the plaza.

which obviously is doing well for residential.


Yea it is doing alright, but how much of the residential can be directly attributed to Midtown Marketplace? That was the question, and there is none.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 12185
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:31 pm

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Postby aknowledgeableperson » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:16 pm

Not new residential units but many of the old units and owners can be very thankfull to the Marketplace for the funds its provides for home repairs and improvements.

User avatar
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 8832
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Postby Highlander » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:36 pm

The place serves a purpose but it's flat out one of KC's biggest urban planning disasters - if not its biggest. The development, right smack in the middle of a major American city, is not even dense by southern Johnson County or Blue Springs standards. It could have been done so much better but city management was really brain dead during that period.

User avatar
chaglang
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Postby chaglang » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:39 pm

Highlander wrote:The place serves a purpose but it's flat out one of KC's biggest urban planning disasters - if not its biggest. The development, right smack in the middle of a major American city, is not even dense by southern Johnson County or Blue Springs standards. It could have been done so much better but city management was really brain dead during that period.

The Midtown Marketplace thread is hopping right now.

User avatar
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 8832
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Postby Highlander » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:00 pm

chaglang wrote:
Highlander wrote:The place serves a purpose but it's flat out one of KC's biggest urban planning disasters - if not its biggest. The development, right smack in the middle of a major American city, is not even dense by southern Johnson County or Blue Springs standards. It could have been done so much better but city management was really brain dead during that period.

The Midtown Marketplace thread is hopping right now.


It's among my great pet peeves about KC. The idea that somehow suburban development was needed in the urban core - that was the intent of this development, the sprawl isn't there by accident, it's how it was conceived, it was seen as a good thing. For many years, KC leaders had the idiotic notion that to compete with the burbs, the city had to become burb-like. It was poorly conceived and executed project. Like I said, it has a function but that's meaningless and its not the issue, the fact that it takes a square mile of land in the core when it could have been fit easily onto a quarter of that footprint is the obvious problem. The city was absolutely desperate to get something there and desperation has never led to much good in KC.

User avatar
chaglang
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Postby chaglang » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:11 pm

Highlander wrote:
chaglang wrote:
Highlander wrote:The place serves a purpose but it's flat out one of KC's biggest urban planning disasters - if not its biggest. The development, right smack in the middle of a major American city, is not even dense by southern Johnson County or Blue Springs standards. It could have been done so much better but city management was really brain dead during that period.

The Midtown Marketplace thread is hopping right now.


It's among my great pet peeves about KC. The idea that somehow suburban development was needed in the urban core - that was the intent of this development, the sprawl isn't there by accident, it's how it was conceived, it was seen as a good thing. For many years, KC leaders had the idiotic notion that to compete with the burbs, the city had to become burb-like. It was poorly conceived and executed project. Like I said, it has a function but that's meaningless and its not the issue, the fact that it takes a square mile of land in the core when it could have been fit easily onto a quarter of that footprint is the obvious problem. The city was absolutely desperate to get something there and desperation has never led to much good in KC.

No, I was hinting that the best place for this discussion is over on that thread. :D

AlbertHammond
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:52 am

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Postby AlbertHammond » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:50 am

Back to the original discussion....whatever became of the Midtown/Plaza Area Plan started last year? Is it published?

User avatar
chaglang
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Postby chaglang » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:43 am

I believe it's due out this summer.

AlbertHammond
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:52 am

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Postby AlbertHammond » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:38 am

......crickets.......

flyingember
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5971
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Postby flyingember » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:50 pm

AlbertHammond wrote:......crickets.......


we're only halfway through summer. approx June 20 to Sep 20.

it's not late yet

AlbertHammond
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:52 am

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Postby AlbertHammond » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:39 pm

Rumor has it the plan died on the vine. The process ran out of steam because the planning staff is not capable of completing it in a meaningful way. I hope I am wrong, but it sounds like it wasted not only a great opportunity, but a lot of time from concerned citizens.

User avatar
chaglang
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Postby chaglang » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:34 pm

I can verify that's not true.

AlbertHammond
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:52 am

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Postby AlbertHammond » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:26 am

chaglang wrote:I can verify that's not true.

GREAT NEWS!

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3729
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Postby beautyfromashes » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:02 pm

Has anyone noticed that there is construction on the VFW parking lot across from Browne's? What is being built there? Looked like foundations being set today.

User avatar
smh
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2677
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Postby smh » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:38 pm

beautyfromashes wrote:Has anyone noticed that there is construction on the VFW parking lot across from Browne's? What is being built there? Looked like foundations being set today.


Kiva suggests parking lot improvements.

User avatar
chaglang
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Postby chaglang » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:08 pm

smh wrote:parking lot improvements.

Oxymoron alert.

AlbertHammond
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:52 am

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Postby AlbertHammond » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:43 pm

chaglang wrote:I believe it's due out this summer.

Ummm..........

User avatar
chaglang
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Midtown Plaza Area Plan

Postby chaglang » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:21 pm

If you're genuinely curious about this - as opposed to just complaining here about it every couple of months - the KCMO Planning and Development phone number is 816-513-1500. Last I heard, they're still working on the plan but are criminally understaffed.


Return to “Urban Core”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests