Whole Foods mixed-use project @ 51/Oak

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Whole Foods mixed-use project @ 51/Oak

Post by kcjak »

flyingember wrote:wow, when was that built in Kansas. yes, that should be on the list

while there's clearly room for certain demographic-specific stores, there's not a lack of grocery stores for midtown.
But there IS a lack of quality grocery stores in midtown. What is there between Cosentino's downtown and Cosentino's Brookside Market? (Cosentino's) SunFresh and couple of shitty Thriftway/Linwood Market-type places that are no better than a 7-Eleven.

I'd prefer walking a couple of blocks to SunFresh, but sometimes I have to drive to Roeland Park Price Chopper to I get better meat, more variety, fresher produce and practically everything is cheaper than SunFresh. Once SunFresh gets some competition maybe they'll step it up a notch.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kcjak wrote:
flyingember wrote:wow, when was that built in Kansas. yes, that should be on the list

while there's clearly room for certain demographic-specific stores, there's not a lack of grocery stores for midtown.
But there IS a lack of quality grocery stores in midtown. What is there between Cosentino's downtown and Cosentino's Brookside Market? (Cosentino's) SunFresh and couple of shitty Thriftway/Linwood Market-type places that are no better than a 7-Eleven.

I'd prefer walking a couple of blocks to SunFresh, but sometimes I have to drive to Roeland Park Price Chopper to I get better meat, more variety, fresher produce and practically everything is cheaper than SunFresh. Once SunFresh gets some competition maybe they'll step it up a notch.
Agreed - Sunfresh has turned into a mess and needs competition. I haven't bought meat there in years, and I'm done with their produce. I'll still buy some dry goods there, but why should I give them any more of my money? They are located 3 blocks from my house, and I don't ever want to go back. As dirty as it makes me feel, I prefer the Walmart Supermarket. I think the Price Chopper on Roe has decent produce, but it's overrated.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

WSPanic wrote:
kcjak wrote:

Agreed - Sunfresh has turned into a mess and needs competition. I haven't bought meat there in years, and I'm done with their produce. I'll still buy some dry goods there, but why should I give them any more of my money? They are located 3 blocks from my house, and I don't ever want to go back. As dirty as it makes me feel, I prefer the Walmart Supermarket. I think the Price Chopper on Roe has decent produce, but it's overrated.
Agree with the SunFresh assessment. I go there fairly regularly, with it being the closest "good" option, but would rather never go back. Produce is awful, meat is awful, prices are awful. Trader Joes moving into the Uptown Shoppes building is a regular dream of mine.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Whatever the current issues with Whole Foods, I've got to think this store will be extremely successful. I'm sure there are other folks like myself that forget that the chain even exists in KC given the two distant KS locations (from my home). This store will kill it with BKS/Waldo/Westwood/Fairway/Mission Hills folks, not to mention students and the growing urban core population.

I also think overall the plan is looking great; I love the density in this location and I think it will really turn 51/Oak into a nice little mini destination for the surrounding 'hood, especially as close it is to the building retail strip along 51/Main. Good times for south Plaza.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Bsiders can be pretty hard core anti-chain and they love their Consentinos. But I'd bet even the detractors will be shopping there eventually.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It is interesting that this area along with the Main St strip is becoming the anti-Plaza. Services and daily need type shops and local restaurants that once occupied the Plaza are thriving in a real neighborhood.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

moderne wrote:It is interesting that this area along with the Main St strip is becoming the anti-Plaza. Services and daily need type shops and local restaurants that once occupied the Plaza are thriving in a real neighborhood.
I hope the next domino to fall is the former gas station lot on the NE corner of 51st and Main. I would love to see it replaced with a...gas station, though I can't see the numbers working because of the low traffic volume on Main. And I don't even care about the gas. Really I just want the QT insides, aka, the "KC bodega".
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chingon wrote:
moderne wrote:It is interesting that this area along with the Main St strip is becoming the anti-Plaza. Services and daily need type shops and local restaurants that once occupied the Plaza are thriving in a real neighborhood.
I hope the next domino to fall is the former gas station lot on the NE corner of 51st and Main. I would love to see it replaced with a...gas station, though I can't see the numbers working because of the low traffic volume on Main. And I don't even care about the gas. Really I just want the QT insides, aka, the "KC bodega".
I wouldn't hold your breath on it becoming a gas station.

This is the owner of that lot.
http://www.vincajewelry.net/
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

aside from the eclectic crowd, westport sun fresh is awful.

we go to whole foods at 91/metcalf for 90% of our grocery needs, with trips to costco, trader joe's or BKS Market to supplement.

i think whole foods will do gangbusters in this location. there is no real competition nearby and that is a great location. a nice lunch option for the plaza and umkc-area crowd too - their salad bar, pizza, etc. is all pretty good.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

chrizow wrote:aside from the eclectic crowd, westport sun fresh is awful.
Yeah, I mainly just go to Sunfresh to people watch
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Take a look at the notices posted by management of Sunfresh in various places of the store. Especially those written to employees.

Pretty harsh and draconian. You can feel the negative vibes, man.....
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I can go through that sunfresh without one employee looking me in the eye or acknowledging my presence. No, I take that back. Usually when I'm go through the checkers lines they will shoot me an annoyed glance as I interrupt their conversation with the sacker to pay for my food. But I don't feel bad for long because they will quickly go back to ignoring me and continue whatever highly professional conversation they were having.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to new options in a whole foods or the green acres being built in westwood (maybe?) .
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

kboish wrote: So yeah, I'm looking forward to new options in a whole foods or the green acres being built in westwood (maybe?) .
The Neighborhood Market in Westwood isn't horrible, they are starting to step up there organic selection.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Last time I was at the Sunfresh a lady ran through the door screaming that she had been maced in the parking lot. Helped her wash out her eyes but have never been back.

Trader Joe's messed up when they put that store at Ward Parkway. It should have been something like this Whole Foods.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I never understand why a company would build two stores and not try to make them be geographically diverse.

Their KS location makes sense but you then put one near money in Lee's Summit, Tiffany Springs or such.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
chrizow wrote:aside from the eclectic crowd, westport sun fresh is awful.
Yeah, I mainly just go to Sunfresh to people watch
Gunfresh.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Unfresh.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Scumfresh

Or, as my Dad used to call it (based on the employees) - "The Night of the Living Dead Grocery Store"
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

WSPanic wrote:Scumfresh

Or, as my Dad used to call it (based on the employees) - "The Night of the Living Dead Grocery Store"
I'm betting your dad was referencing the "Safeway of the Damned" in the Uptown shops.

.....and that moniker was based on the bizarre customers who lurked the isles (and who are believed to have later spawned 'the people of Walmart')
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Damn you guys are harsh on Sunfresh. While maybe not the best store on earth, I always liked it pretty well. Never had a bad experience.

I don't understand the importance of over the top customer service in a gigantic grocery store. They are meant to be anonymous and sort of distant in nature. I mean I hope the employees can help me if I need it and are somewhat nice about it, but that's it. I don't really want them to bother me any more than that. I haven't the slightest desire to have a conversation while I'm shopping, and so what if the cashier is rude? They have a shitty job and everyone knows it. You only get to see them for a few seconds so deal with it. It's kind of hard to put on a fake smiley face for every second of every day when you are severely depressed because you are making twelve bucks an hour doing the same thing youve been doing for 20 years.

I like excellent customer service when I go to small local shops, but not a megalomart. Small shops you are probably talking to the owner, which is a cool experience. Megalomart, just some random minimum wage Joe that probably hates the store more than you do. But that's the difference. I go to small local shops to spend money on quality items. I go to the megalomart to get things I buy frequently for as cheap a price as possible.