Whole Foods mixed-use project @ 51/Oak

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Whole Foods mixed-use project @ 51/Oak

Post by Demosthenes »

Awesome! I figured this project was done for, but instead it looks like they improved it. This seems way better than the original plan. It's like they actually listened to some ideas from people who know a thing or two about urban design. The only thing I don't like, but maybe I'm misreading it, is that the Whole Foods won't open up to a street? It looks like it will open up to the south parking lot according to the site plan. If so, then Booooo! It's cool if there is a secondary entrance from the lot, but you can't make that the main entrance. And you especially can't make that the only entrance! How are kids in the dorms or walking over after class going to be able to access the Whole Foods? Walking around the garage and into the parking lot? That makes no sense when they will be walking over from Pizza 51, or the shops across the street, or from up the hill.

I'm hoping this is a mistake, or I'm misreading it.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Has anyone considered that this development that City Hall and hipsters are ramming down our throats despite overwhelming opposition might KILL CHILDREN who are playing on the trail...

I hope its worth destroying true infrastructure like a mostly vacant parking lot when a banana truck inevitably spills its load all over the parking lot and a car can't stop and skids out onto the trail and KILLS CHILDREN playing?

Plus the poor will suffer from the sales tax on food there.

*paid for by Save Our Bloch Building Views, Chairpersons: Cherry DeHaines, Paddy Tooley and Stan Coffee.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

At least they will be organic bananas.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

STOP THE TOY STORE (that sells groceries)!

Face it, this isn't a real store. This is a hipster faux food toy store. Real stores are HUGE, and the have bigger parking lots. KC like BIG stores, not not big stores. This is a big store town. Also, we like 1/2 Foods, not Whole Foods. that might work in places like Boston and New York, but not here. This is a boondoggle.

oh, oh, also it's .... "an undue burden".

says so on my flash card.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chingon wrote:STOP THE TOY STORE (that sells groceries)!

Face it, this isn't a real store. This is a hipster faux food toy store. Real stores are HUGE, and the have bigger parking lots. KC like BIG stores, not not big stores. This is a big store town. Also, we like 1/2 Foods, not Whole Foods. that might work in places like Boston and New York, but not here. This is a boondoggle.

oh, oh, also it's .... "an undue burden".

says so on my flash card.
=D>
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chingon wrote:Has anyone considered that this development that City Hall and hipsters are ramming down our throats despite overwhelming opposition might KILL CHILDREN who are playing on the trail...

I hope its worth destroying true infrastructure like a mostly vacant parking lot when a banana truck inevitably spills its load all over the parking lot and a car can't stop and skids out onto the trail and KILLS CHILDREN playing?

Plus the poor will suffer from the sales tax on food there.

*paid for by Save Our Bloch Building Views, Chairpersons: Cherry DeHaines, Paddy Tooley and Stan Coffee.
I feel uninvited to UMKC.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Demosthenes wrote:Awesome! I figured this project was done for, but instead it looks like they improved it. This seems way better than the original plan. It's like they actually listened to some ideas from people who know a thing or two about urban design. The only thing I don't like, but maybe I'm misreading it, is that the Whole Foods won't open up to a street? It looks like it will open up to the south parking lot according to the site plan. If so, then Booooo! It's cool if there is a secondary entrance from the lot, but you can't make that the main entrance. And you especially can't make that the only entrance! How are kids in the dorms or walking over after class going to be able to access the Whole Foods? Walking around the garage and into the parking lot? That makes no sense when they will be walking over from Pizza 51, or the shops across the street, or from up the hill.

I'm hoping this is a mistake, or I'm misreading it.
Is the entrance to the Whole Foods not on the NW corner? I for some reason thought it was.

heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Seeing as how those are little trucks on the loading dock on the southeast corner, I think it's pretty safe to say that is NOT the entrance.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

What do the dashed lines on that plan view represent? They don't appear to correspond with the site plan.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Eon Blue wrote:What do the dashed lines on that plan view represent? They don't appear to correspond with the site plan.
At first I thought it represented a possible streetcar line. Now I think it represents the Brookside Interceptor sewer/water project or whatever it is.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote:
Eon Blue wrote:What do the dashed lines on that plan view represent? They don't appear to correspond with the site plan.
At first I thought it represented a possible streetcar line. Now I think it represents the Brookside Interceptor sewer/water project or whatever it is.
yeah, i'd say it's the latter.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

heatherkay wrote:Seeing as how those are little trucks on the loading dock on the southeast corner, I think it's pretty safe to say that is NOT the entrance.
Well now that we have a picture that is blown up a bit, I guess you can tell those are trucks. Regardless, I said it looked like the entrance may be on the south side opening up to the parking lot, not the SE corner where the loading dock is.

Shit, this still isn't zoomed in enough for my eyes. Doesn't necessarily look like an entrance on the south side.

Smh, I thought it was the NW corner too based on the pictures, but then when I saw the site plan I thought maybe that was the main entrance to the apartment. Maybe it IS the entrance to the Whole Foods, but notice in the plan view of the building there is a dotted line within it? And within the dotted line it says "grocery store." So I figured that the area within the dotted line was the Whole Foods. The entire 51st street side is outside the dotted line, so I'm thinking it isn't a part of the store. Maybe the entrance is at the SW corner, sorta facing Brookside?

Or maybe I'm looking entirely too much into a site plan that isn't final. Yea... That's probably it.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Demosthenes wrote:
heatherkay wrote:Seeing as how those are little trucks on the loading dock on the southeast corner, I think it's pretty safe to say that is NOT the entrance.
Well now that we have a picture that is blown up a bit, I guess you can tell those are trucks. Regardless, I said it looked like the entrance may be on the south side opening up to the parking lot, not the SE corner where the loading dock is.

Shit, this still isn't zoomed in enough for my eyes. Doesn't necessarily look like an entrance on the south side.

Smh, I thought it was the NW corner too based on the pictures, but then when I saw the site plan I thought maybe that was the main entrance to the apartment. Maybe it IS the entrance to the Whole Foods, but notice in the plan view of the building there is a dotted line within it? And within the dotted line it says "grocery store." So I figured that the area within the dotted line was the Whole Foods. The entire 51st street side is outside the dotted line, so I'm thinking it isn't a part of the store. Maybe the entrance is at the SW corner, sorta facing Brookside?

Or maybe I'm looking entirely too much into a site plan that isn't final. Yea... That's probably it.
Two things that were mentioned at the lunch today might clear this up: 1) We were told that the apartment entrance is on the NE corner of the project at 51st & Oak; 2) The size of the store has gone from 20,000 sq ft to 40,000 sq ft. It is my opinion that the dotted line within the building represents the original footprint for the project. .... but don't quote me on that.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

smh wrote:
Seems legit.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

anyone have a status on this?

i demand whole foods.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chrizow wrote:anyone have a status on this?

i demand whole foods.
Haven't heard anything since the last update. It must be the longest development cycle of a Whole Foods ever.

EDIT: We should start a pool on whether downtown will see a Whole Foods before 51st.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The Wichita store they announced at the same time is already being built out - can't wait to have the option of Whole Foods just down the street and can skip the Westport Sunfresh from time to time.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

the cwe store was announced a month after this one, i believe.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I assumed the whole foods was probably hostage to the timeline of the rest of the development and they must need more tennants/financing/etc.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.