Demolition at 43rd and Main?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Demolition at 43rd and Main?

Post by Demosthenes »

Does anyone know what exactly is going on with the old Joe Joe's (I believe that's what it was called...) building on the NW corner of 43rd and Main? I've been curious about this corner lot and building for a long time, thinking it would be a prime development opportunity, and now it looks like it is coming down. I fear there is nothing that will replace it, so why?? Another great old building we may lose.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Demolition at 43rd and Main?

Post by beautyfromashes »

I saw on here a couple of weeks ago that Capital Federal bank is building a large branch on that corner. Perhaps it will take up the land of that building as well. That's a good development for Main Street.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

It looks like the city issued a demolition permit about 10 days ago. Capitol Federal is listed as the owner of the property on some county stuff, so it looks like the bank will take up the land there.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

beautyfromashes wrote: That's a good development for Main Street.
Out with the old and in with the new! Who knows better than a bank?
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

The sidewalk is still blocked off. There had been an excavator parked out back a couple weeks ago but I think it got moved somewhere else for now. Windows on the south side have been removed and it looks like they're stripping the interior.

I'm hoping that the new bank is urban and fits up to the sidewalk, and not some awful suburban shoe-horned design that pays no regard to the surrounding area.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Building is in the process of demolition. I can't help but feel that this bank is going to look horrible, and continue the suburbanization of this part of Main st. I'm expecting something similar to the h&r block building across the street :/
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Demosthenes wrote:Building is in the process of demolition. I can't help but feel that this bank is going to look horrible, and continue the suburbanization of this part of Main st. I'm expecting something similar to the h&r block building across the street :/
You never know - I really like what the did with the Mission branch on Johnson Drive.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

kcjak wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:Building is in the process of demolition. I can't help but feel that this bank is going to look horrible, and continue the suburbanization of this part of Main st. I'm expecting something similar to the h&r block building across the street :/
You never know - I really like what the did with the Mission branch on Johnson Drive.
+1. Can't look worse than the abandoned field that that's been on this parcel for at least the past 10 years.
Can't Start New Threads
Can't Start New Threads

Post by 72071972 »

Cap Fed is a solid play here.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

According to a sign on this lot, the architects here are Gastinger Walker Harden. While I can't find anything on their website about this bank, this makes me feel good about the project. They have done a lot of good work in Kansas City. Their designs tend to be appropriately urban in nature, and are environmentally friendly. Can't wait to see what they have planned for the site!
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

So what was previously on this corner? It's been vacant as long as I can remember.
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

lock+load wrote:So what was previously on this corner? It's been vacant as long as I can remember.
Years ago, one of the pediatric neurologists from Children's Mercy had an antiques store that faced 43rd. The building was eventually demolished.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

lock+load wrote:So what was previously on this corner? It's been vacant as long as I can remember.
Vulcan's Forge was the last thing I remember there. They moved out and the building came down shortly thereafter.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

The site is still vacant, with the same sign. Does anybody have any new information or a timeline?
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I noticed today that there is a chain-link fence up around the site with quite a few survey stakes in the ground. I'll try to get a closer look on my way home in the next couple days.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Okay so here is an update on the Capitol Federal Bank being built at 43rd and Main:

A beauty isn't it? I'm really wondering what happened here. Where is Maincor? First losing the building next to the storage building near Linwood, and now this. Does Maincor literally have no power, or are they just being lazy? Main Street needs its design guidelines to actually be enforced. There is no reason at all for space wasting, suburban bank crap being built on a very high profile corner like 43rd and Main. That corner was begging for a building at least 4 stories built to the sidewalk. I mean what was the point of making the fancy crosswalks at this intersection if the future plans weren't great for that corner. Shoot that corner could have handled a building more than 10 stories. Not that I expected that to happen, but wow talk about potential. And now we have this...
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

"But it's up to the curb! Isn't that what you people always want?"

I've been watching that building go up from day one, as it's on my commute. As soon as they framed up the foundation I knew it would be disappointing.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

begging for 4-stories? we're at least a decade out from needing that much space in midtown.

there's an entire high rise mostly empty 3 blocks to the south when American Century shrunk.

it would have been stupid for any entity to see that market and decide to build extra space into the design
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote:begging for 4-stories? we're at least a decade out from needing that much space in midtown.

there's an entire high rise mostly empty 3 blocks to the south when American Century shrunk.

it would have been stupid for any entity to see that market and decide to build extra space into the design
I don't want to speak for the good poster, but I think he was envisioning four stories including some sort of residential. Not necessarily another office building.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Very disappointing - their new branch in Mission could've been recreated here and it would've been better.