911 Linwood Redevelopment as Senior Housing

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: 911 Linwood Redevelopment as Senior Housing

Post by FangKC »

missingkc wrote:Does anyone have any idea of where The Defenders got its name? Very strange. Kind of comic book stuff.
moderne wrote:It originally had a different name. I remember being in the building in the late eighties on a social work visit to a client, but do not recall when it was torn down. I remember the exterior as having a lot of terra cotta in a gothic deco style.
The Defenders sign was atop the former Lasalle Hotel. Defenders was a national religious organization.

JBmidtown wrote:
moderne wrote:Hope it does not go the way of The Defenders across the street. That was the tallest building between DT and the Plaza and the sign on top was almost as familiar as the Western Auto.
Wow I’ve never even heard of this building. Any pictures?

JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Wow, what a loss :(
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

911 Linwood changed hands in mid January. It was purchased by CS Midtown LLC, which appears to be another company of Tim Bowman's.

I haven't heard any details of the plan.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There are a couple dumpsters on site and there has been activity this week. I haven't heard about any plans. I am guessing it is just some preliminary clearing out/demo work without a real plan in place.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There are a couple permits on this building for interior demo with no build back. There is also a permit for partial removal of the eaves, which falling down in multiple spots.

It's a shame that the eaves have to be removed. They have only really started falling in the past few years. I hope they will build them back to match the original. I would assume that if they want historic tax credits for this project, that may be a requirement.

There have also been some new permits pulled for Compass Resources' projects on the 3100 block of Troost, so it does seem like they are moving full steam ahead. Hopefully we will get an announcement on the plans for 911 Linwood and anything else that is part of the Phase II they have mentioned.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Roof appears to be falling on this building.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

IIRC this isthe same developer as the 3100 block of Troost. Definitely getting the feeling that, for all the publicity surrounding that effort, he's bitten off more than he can chew.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

He probably needs another partner if he’s struggling with financing
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Is it the roof that is falling, or more of the soffits? Previously, there were some soffits falling off, and those were removed. I don't recall if some were left up (which may be what is falling now).

I am not surprised that work has not began in earnest on this building. It was always the plan that this would start later. What is more concerning is how things have seemed to have gone quiet on the whole proposal. I had assumed we would be hearing about meetings with neighborhood groups and city commissions by now. It also seems like work on phase 1 has slowed down.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Mac should take over that building. They seem to have the ability to get these projects accomplished on a decent timeline. Or maybe Exact Partners. They have experience doing a large building like that since they did the Netherlands Hotel at 39th and Main.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:22 pm Is it the roof that is falling, or more of the soffits? Previously, there were some soffits falling off, and those were removed. I don't recall if some were left up (which may be what is falling now).
Believe it's the metal soffit. IIRC some falling soffits were taken down a few years back.

Feels like the untick in publicity/renderings has tracked with a slowdown in work being done.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

chaglang wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:39 am
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:22 pm Is it the roof that is falling, or more of the soffits? Previously, there were some soffits falling off, and those were removed. I don't recall if some were left up (which may be what is falling now).
Believe it's the metal soffit. IIRC some falling soffits were taken down a few years back.

Feels like the untick in publicity/renderings has tracked with a slowdown in work being done.
The soffitt is falling down, but that has opened up water to slowly erode the roof structure. These things seem to snowball if not taken seriously, which they haven’t.