Historic Old Northeast

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Historic Old Northeast

Post by loftguy »

I should clarify, when people from Northeast speak the full name, it is pronounced as "Inna Penance".

Must be the Catholic influence.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

deleted duplication
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

http://www.reeceandnichols.com/homes-fo ... d-73360802#_

this house looks amazing. if we were looking for a house right now, we'd be all over this. i assume the unpictured bathrooms are disasters, but for that price it would be worth it.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Dang. Love the terra cotta on the front columns. And the garage is charming. Great price.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

To those in northeast or with interest in the area -

What are the long-term plans of the Kansas City Museum, post Corinthian Hall renovation? I'm happy that so much time and money is being invested returning the home to its original state, but I can't help but feel the KC Museum needs to reprogram and step up as a regional asset and center of activity for HNE.

The idea of a Museum of Architecture and Design keeps running through my head...it would be a unique draw, and the perfect home for such a collection. Perhaps we could display fragments of some of the more prominent demolitions around town as well, as a memorial of our historic architecture, somewhat like the City Museum in StL. Any thoughts toward this, or info on plans to make KC Museum a true amenity for the city? KCM needs to become a truly desirable asset for the city, to help drive value along Gladstone Blvd and the rest of HNE.

Second, what's up with old city reservoir? I recall watching an episode of The Layover a few weeks ago in Sao Paulo, where an elevated concrete freeway bridge had been essentially turned into an open air "street art" gallery (each of the many concrete pillars supporting the freeway at street level featured a large, colorful mural or graffitti inspired painting - awesome). I immediately thought of the reservoir. How perfect would those massive concrete walls be for such a use, if some type of safe access and viewing platforms were provided? Bring in a few well-known local graffitti artists (Scribe?), hold a competition for the wall spaces, etc. It would dovetail nicely with the growing artistic community in HNE.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kansas City Museum closes doors in January, but plans big for 2013

http://northeastnews.net/pages/?p=16768
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Forlorn urban site is poised for an impressive rebirth

Nonprofit group Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE) bought six buildiings at the U.S. Quartermaster Depot at Hardesty and Independence Avenue to turn it into a healthy food hub.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Camp of homeless troglodytes discovered in Old Northeast near Belmont and St. John
KMBC's Haley Harrison reported that a homeless outreach group said it was unlike anything they've ever seen. The subterranean refuge has caves and tunnels.

Harrison was with police as they went in to break up three homeless campsites near Interstate 435.
Click on photo slideshow to the right of the page.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-city/KC ... index.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I went through the NE about a week back.
I forgot how nice homes are a few blocks from nasty ones.

Of everything I saw I'm amazed the city hasn't fixed the fence at the old reservoir. people can get into it. that's a death waiting to happen.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

flyingember wrote:I went through the NE about a week back.
I forgot how nice homes are a few blocks from nasty ones.

Of everything I saw I'm amazed the city hasn't fixed the fence at the old reservoir. people can get into it. that's a death waiting to happen.
Nor'easters....defying death since 1920.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Independence Avenue set to get facelift
Monday evening was the final chance for the public to weigh in on a massive plan to revitalize the district in the historic northeast.
Proposed changes include adding new walking paths and streetscapes, creating a pedestrian plaza, community gardens and enticing new business to the area.
“We want to create the avenue as a destination, we want people to come here again that came here originally now we want them to come back,” said Bobbi Baker with the Chamber.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Funding as been secured for redesign of Independence and Benton intersection.

http://northeastnews.net/pages/?p=18093

Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

What's the over/under on how many months it will take before it gets destroyed after it's finished?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Joe Smith wrote:What's the over/under on how many months it will take before it gets destroyed after it's finished?
Unless there's a rogue jackhammerer up on Indie Ave, I think it might be fairly durable.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

chaglang wrote:
Joe Smith wrote:What's the over/under on how many months it will take before it gets destroyed after it's finished?
Unless there's a rogue jackhammerer up on Indie Ave, I think it might be fairly durable.
That's exactly what the big ass brick Scarritt column at Lex & St. John said before it got ran over.

The Benton Rock & Fence at the roundabout has no comment at this time.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

:lol:
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I am always for infrastructure improvements, but this plan is overdone. Why so suburban? Designers need to actually study what makes the built environment and infrastructure of Kansas City unique - and therefore attractive, as it is singular. These appear to be knee-jerk improvements.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

voltopt wrote:I am always for infrastructure improvements, but this plan is overdone. Why so suburban? Designers need to actually study what makes the built environment and infrastructure of Kansas City unique - and therefore attractive, as it is singular. These appear to be knee-jerk improvements.
it's not suburban

it's exactly in the character of that street being a federal highway
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

voltopt wrote:I am always for infrastructure improvements, but this plan is overdone. Why so suburban? Designers need to actually study what makes the built environment and infrastructure of Kansas City unique - and therefore attractive, as it is singular. These appear to be knee-jerk improvements.
What about it strikes you as suburban?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That is a fairly large intersection physically--mainly because it's not an intersection that goes straight through, but jugs to one direction to realign.

I think the redesign attempts to better realign the traffic movement going north and south. The islands also attempt to provide "refuges" for pedestrians attempting to cross it, and perhaps if they are older people, taking longer than the time for the lights to change.