Westside happenings

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Westside happenings

Post by KCLofts »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:Anyone know of this story?

http://www.pitch.com/kansascity/streets ... id=6389657

How bad would you say the deforestation was?
http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19941
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Developers will seek incentives for West Side mixed-use
EPC Real Estate Group LLC has taken the first step toward seeking incentives for its $14 million mixed-use project at the southwest corner of 17th Street and Madison Avenue in downtown Kansas City's West Side neighborhood.
Austin Jackson, an EPC project manager, said the developer plans to seek a standard PIEA property tax abatement — 100 percent for 10 years, followed by 50 percent for 15 years. He said it appears the abatement will be needed to make the project feasible due to the high cost of building a 100-space parking garage under the four-story mixed-use building that will anchor the project

The four-story building, which will replace a vacant 22,000-square-foot warehouse building, will include 60 market-rate apartments and about 12,000 square feet of commercial uses. EPC also plans to develop a vacant 16,000-square-foot building just south of the warehouse with three or four three-story townhomes.
Full story w/ renderings:
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ml?ana=twt
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

so, um, westside deserves incentives for market rate residential? serious question for those who oppose them in the crossroads.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm okay with it, since they have to build a parking garage to accommodate 60 apartments and the retail space. Without the garage, there would be more surface parking and probably less density--certainly fewer apartments. I have no problem with parking garages as long as they are underground or mostly hidden.

When we are talking about residential, I tend to be more liberal with granting incentives, because I believe it's very important to rebuild population south of the river, and increase density. Even with incentives for the specific development, any new residents will pay sales, and probably earnings taxes.

The current situation on that site (vacant lots and old industrial building) is probably not producing very much revenue for the City. If this specific project doesn't get approved, it might be 20 years before another is proposed--again with very little revenue being produced during that wait. If we approve this now, in 10 years we will get higher property tax revenue than currently, and in 25 years, we will get 100 percent property tax revenue from the improved site. If we do nothing, in 25 years the site might be exactly as it is now.

Another argument for an underground garage vs. surface parking lots is that there is less water run-off to deal with.
Last edited by FangKC on Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

FangKC wrote:I'm okay with it, since they have to build a parking garage to accommodate 60 apartments and the retail space. Without the garage, there would be more surface parking and probably less density--certainly fewer apartments. I have no problem with parking garages as long as they are underground or mostly hidden.

When we are talking about residential, I tend to be more liberal with granting incentives, because I believe it's very important to rebuild population south of the river, and increase density. Even with incentives for the specific development, any new residents will pay sales, and probably earnings taxes.

The current situation on that site (vacant lots and old industrial building) is probably not producing very much revenue for the City. If this specific project doesn't get approved, it might be 20 years before another is proposed--again with very little revenue being produced during that wait. If we approve this now, in 10 years we will get higher property tax revenue than currently, and in 25 years, we will get 100 percent property tax revenue from the improved site. If we do nothing, in 25 years they site might be exactly as it is now.

Another argument for an underground garage vs. surface parking lots is that there is less water run-off do deal with.
Your informed observations and informed conclusions should be broadly shared.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Eon Blue wrote:A "restaurant pad" could be a cause for concern. Hopefully it's just a poor choice of words. "Pad" along with "campus" are two of the words I never want to see mentioned in connection with something urban.
The rendering in the Starticle allays some of my concerns. They don't appear to be plopping down an Applebee's, at least.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 51085.html
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Eon Blue wrote:The rendering in the Starticle allays some of my concerns. They don't appear to be plopping down an Applebee's, at least.
I'll guess Spin Pizza.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Proposed development for Kansas City's Westside sparks concern, questions
Developers have made design changes based on feedback during previous neighborhood meetings. They modified the architecture to look more like other buildings in the area. They also added underground parking to address parking concerns.

The plan would add 60 apartment units of varying sizes and provide much-needed retail space. There would also be commercial space for a restaurant or grocery store.
http://tinyurl.com/j5zbo26

They have added a couple of new renderings--including the interior of the retail building.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

They fixed what was probably the biggest failure, the retail entrance corner not feeling like it was at the corner
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I don't see how they have made this rendering look more like it fits in the neighborhood. There is still a long way to go before they look like they are trying to do that. They try to put a brick structure on the corner, then cover it up with concrete walls and an airport hanger top. Don't know if the roof is a clever homage to the warehouse that was there before, but it isn't really enhancing the neighborhood aesthetic and is more in line with something at Zona Rosa or P&L. I also don't know who will want to live in a second or third floor apartment that gets filled with the smoke and laughter from a restaurant/bar's smoking lounge.

I'm sure I won't be 100% excited about whatever is ultimately put there, but the most important part of the project is probably going to be what restaurant goes in first. If it is an On the Border, I think there will be riots (and I'll be in charge). If it isn't something new or local, I'll be very upset. A decent grocery store would be pretty great, but I seriously doubt that could be pulled off in a quality way without having major parking issues (both from residents and the store for different reasons). One of the best cases would be for Novel to move over to the new space and for another upstart KC restaurant to take over the old Novel space. Bun Brothers/Dojo Kenichi are rumored to be looking for a spot such as this and would be great here.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I don't understand why they don't just build the building up to the corner. Is it so difficult?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote:I don't understand why they don't just build the building up to the corner. Is it so difficult?
doesn't GDAP apply to the westside? what about the draft TOD policy?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote:
smh wrote:I don't understand why they don't just build the building up to the corner. Is it so difficult?
doesn't GDAP apply to the westside? what about the draft TOD policy?
Hmm, probably. You're saying I need to add this to my agenda? ;)
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

They're probably trying to fit the garage in above the bedrock so the buildings are a certain height above it.

it's not about difficulty, it's about geology
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Bienvenidos al Whiny, Whiny (what's left of) Westside.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Well, that depends on which direction you are facing.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

West Side mixed-use project advances despite neighbors' concerns
The Planned Industrial Expansion Authority on Thursday approved a blight designation and general development plan for EPC Real Estate Group LLC's $14 million mixed-use project at the southwest corner of 17th Street and Madison Avenue in Kansas City's West Side neighborhood.
The measures, which make the project eligible for a property tax abatement to be considered at a later date, were approved by an 8-1 vote of the PIEA board.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Good lord, these complaints are maddening. Everyone is so afraid of traffic and density. There is hardly any traffic on the Westside. Maybe these people should move to the country and live on remote dirt roads. Perhaps then they would be happy. Good god, how does anything get built in this City?

Some of these people need to spend an extended period in Houston or Los Angeles if they really want to experience what REAL traffic problems are.

Sometimes I think it would just be easier to buy all these whiners out of their properties, and let them go live in the Ozarks.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

An article I read mentioned some neighbors were actually afraid of pollution from residents in the new development smoking :roll:
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

FangKC wrote:Good lord, these complaints are maddening. Everyone is so afraid of traffic and density. There is hardly any traffic on the Westside. Maybe these people should move to the country and live on remote dirt roads. Perhaps then they would be happy. Good god, how does anything get built in this City?

Some of these people need to spend an extended period in Houston or Los Angeles if they really want to experience what REAL traffic problems are.
At the end of the day, I would imagine these people are more afraid of change than they are afraid of traffic or density.