Westside happenings

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Westside happenings

Post by grovester »

They are trolling for architects.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

RE: Switzer Lofts

Looks like construction is about done on the lofts & they'll be opening soon. I was checking out their website & it looks like they're charging residents $65-$105 for parking spaces. One way of looking at the project is that they've added additional parking which wasn't already there, fulfilling technical obligations if not exactly meeting neighborhood concerns. Another way of looking at it is that they're bringing 300 residents in, and charging for parking spots is going to cause a ton of spillover into the surrounding neighborhoods before their lots even get any paid users. Why pay for parking if street parking is free?

I'm unfamiliar with laws related to required parking... anyone know if this seems kosher, or if it sounds like a problem? I haven't seen the inside of any of the units yet, but the exterior of the buildings has definitely been improved. It looks great overall.

http://switzerlofts.rentourspace.com/Amenities.aspx
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

That parking plan sounds completely legit under city code
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

drumatix wrote: Another way of looking at it is that they're bringing 300 residents in, and charging for parking spots is going to cause a ton of spillover into the surrounding neighborhoods before their lots even get any paid users.
Sometimes the best way to show you care about peoples' concerns is to ask them so the fuck what and then, before they can answer, tell them to quit crying.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

chingon wrote: Sometimes the best way to show you care about peoples' concerns is to ask them so the fuck what and then, before they can answer, tell them to quit crying.
You are cordially invited to the next Columbus Park neighborhood meeting.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

LOL.

Yeah, I figured it was legit. Most of the neighborhood has never been happy with any of the plans that've been presented for that place, but something had to happen & I'm glad it did. If anyone would've thought to ask about this issue it would've been another huge bone of contention. Plenty of the old geezers in the area have only street parking and are going to be pissed when it's gone.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

drumatix wrote:LOL.

Yeah, I figured it was legit. Most of the neighborhood has never been happy with any of the plans that've been presented for that place, but something had to happen & I'm glad it did. If anyone would've thought to ask about this issue it would've been another huge bone of contention. Plenty of the old geezers in the area have only street parking and are going to be pissed when it's gone.
Induced demand has one exception, fees. It's why HOV lanes can be moving at 60mph and empty while the free lanes are going 25.

Parking is the same way. I went to an event at Bartle and the expensive pay lot right next to it was half empty, Barney Allis Plaza was over half empty and free weekend on street was full.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Most human beings will not pay for parking if they can find free parking. They will also drive a mile, or two, out of their way to access a free air compressor for their car tires instead of paying for it. :lol:
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I could see them charging this much for a covered parking space, but it remains to be seen how residential street parking will impact this part of the area which is, as of today, not congested at all. Places out in the burbs frequently have some sort of overhang parking available, but these are just huge open lots with parking arm entry and no visitor section. I can't imagine paying $130+/month for two uncovered parking spaces in this hood, but maybe they understand the impact their complex will have better than I do on available street parking. I guess I'm one of the "geezers" who could be unable to park on my own street fairly often, especially once the EPC project (who have been eerily radio silent lately) at 17th and Madison goes ahead.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote:Most human beings will not pay for parking if they can find free parking. They will also drive a mile, or two, out of their way to access a free air compressor for their car tires instead of paying for it. :lol:
This dynamic changes of payment becomes convenient. Both things you mention are still predominantly cash only.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

I feel like it's a bit of a bait & switch, bobbyhawks. Neighbors expressed plenty of concern about parking and parking spillover from the 130 new units, and rightly so. This concern was assuaged by the developer - but in retrospect this was never done in a specific sort of way, they just reassured everyone that there would be more parking than was required by the city. I don't think anyone expected the parking to cost extra. That would've been an issue that would've stopped the whole project had it been considered early on... guaranteed. The Westside loves digging in on things like that.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

So, as was foretold in the before times, very few people at the new Switzer Lofts payed the stupid fees for uncovered, across-the-street parking lot access, and neighbors are complaining about the spillover on Nextdoor. It is pretty funny to see like three cars parked in their gated parking area because any idiot could have told you that $85/month for parking when there is this much street parking makes no sense. However, people in homes without a driveway are used to parking near their house and are now trying to explore permit parking on the streets.

In other news, EPC has done absolutely nothing with their property at 17th and Madison. They acted a bit defiantly when they lost their rezoning battle and indicated they would be moving forward rather quickly with their own plan that had no neighborhood feedback and required no rezoning. To date, I've heard nothing more from them and seen no social media posts. It is possible that they are overwhelmed with Commerce Tower, but I think they also got caught in a bit of a web of lies in that they weren't prepared at all with a plan that met the zoning requirements of the neighborhood.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

bobbyhawks wrote:So, as was foretold in the before times, very few people at the new Switzer Lofts payed the stupid fees for uncovered, across-the-street parking lot access, and neighbors are complaining about the spillover on Nextdoor. It is pretty funny to see like three cars parked in their gated parking area because any idiot could have told you that $85/month for parking when there is this much street parking makes no sense. However, people in homes without a driveway are used to parking near their house and are now trying to explore permit parking on the streets.
It looks like they'll have to get code changes first.

I explored it and found that they're just going to codify people living in the lofts being forced to not park somewhere. The permit is for access to any street space in the area, it doesn't save spots and anyone living inside the area can get a permit.

Not that they appear to qualify to implement permits. See item 3.

70-537
Eligibility. The residential parking permit area boundaries, for purposes of administration and enforcement, should generally coincide with natural boundaries where feasible. A street shall be deemed eligible for designation as a residential permit parking street if it meets all of the following criteria:

(1) At least one side or 50 percent of each street and block must be zoned residential.

(2) Each street and block must have more dwelling units or lodging rooms in lodginghouses than legal off-street parking spaces. Single-family dwelling units are excluded for purposes of satisfying this requirement.

(3) On streets that have unrestricted parking, a majority of the on-street parking spaces must be occupied by commuter vehicles a majority of the time between 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

(4) There must be a desire and need of more than 50 percent of the residents of the street and block to have residential permit parking and a willingness to pay the cost for the residential permit parking program.

(5) There must be reasonable and generally acceptable alternate areas for the displaced commuter vehicles to be relocated or other modes of transportation that can be utilized so that the commuter vehicles are not merely shifted to an adjacent neighborhood residential area.

(6) The street may not have parking meters.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

A new business incubator space is being developed in an old warehouse at 27th and Jarboe on the Westside.
The renovated space will include office areas and lecture halls, along with five commercial grade kitchens to support food-related businesses. The goal is to give entrepreneurs a fighting chance to get going with low cost work spaces and technical training.
http://fox4kc.com/2017/10/11/citys-west ... -commerce/

The building and site:

http://tinyurl.com/yc5z8emw
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Füd appears to have vanished overnight. This time, it looks like it was for good as they removed the glass exterior windows and have the place boarded up. I never spoke with someone directly about what happened, but I also never heard commentary from someone in the know about the place in support of the owner.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Newer house at 2119 Holly Street for sale. Near the Holly St. steps.

http://portal.heartlandmls.com/Matrix/P ... 6729985900
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

The interior looks nice. But that exterior is lacking something...yuck!

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Snout house.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

http://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/k ... 891b2.html

Hank Charcuterie founder moving to KC to open restaurant.

This seems like a really good get. Have been watching the construction on Summit wondering what was up.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

grovester wrote:http://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/k ... 891b2.html

Hank Charcuterie founder moving to KC to open restaurant.

This seems like a really good get. Have been watching the construction on Summit wondering what was up.
Click here to see location.

https://tinyurl.com/yc3o6ouk