Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Troost developments

Post by flyingember »

http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/land/ ... pin=126861

looks like it's a full demo. pick the water disconnect permit from this month, scroll to the bottom and look at the parcel flags used.
You don't pick one with "demolish" in the name if it's just a gut.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

JBmidtown wrote:Anyone know if the the other corner parcel (northeast corner) is also slated for development?
Look at the post directly above yours.

Did you mean to ask about the southeast corner? I believe it is slated for development as well, but I don't know if there are any concrete plans. I'm guessing it will be further down the road.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

flyingember wrote: looks like it's a full demo.
Well that is disgusting.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

What a waste. :(
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Hey where's all those Save Westport folks that are so concerned about historical preservation? You would think they would be all over this...

:roll:
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Ugh this is such a waste of a good building. I always imagined it as a sort of small local retail Mecca. Also not trying to be a dick, but since I've started paying attention historic kc hasent fought for a single building on the east side. But they did fight for a tennis court for like three years. Maybe they only care if it's places rich people like to go
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Looks like its owned by the city.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Historic KC is inept.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

This one definitely falls under demolition-by-neglect. I couldn't tell you who neglected it, just that it's very rotten on the inside. There are a couple other buildings along Troost like this one that are not going to make it long enough to be rehabbed.

Since you asked what HKC doing, it looks like they're having a croquet party at the Bruce Goff House in Crestwood next month. :lol:

Troost news:
-I believe that the Milhaus development at 27th cleared CPC recently.
-There is a plan for a new building at the NW corner at 27th but I haven't seen any plans or renderings for that.
-There is a lot of work going on at the buildings on the SW and NE corner at 30th. Looks like they got their HTC allocation from the state and are moving forward with construction.
-Operation Breakthrough has plans to buy the building on the NW corner of 31st (good) but they want to put a connector bridge over Troost to link their properties (bad). Seems like a better solution would be to resolve the traffic issues at that intersection so everyone benefits, but what the hell do I know.
-MAC is plugging along at Armour.
-Work seems to have stopped on Oliver Abnos's building at 40th. If it was because he was working without a permit I would not be shocked.
-You should all go to Urban Cafe at 41st. It's excellent.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

chaglang wrote: -MAC is plugging along at Armour.
-Work seems to have stopped on Oliver Abnos's building at 40th. If it was because he was working without a permit I would not be shocked.
Care to elaborate? Considering the information slowly (barely) trickling out I would think "crawling along" would be a better description.

As for Oliver, he is my landlord. All I can say is really wish his brother Jonathan had more control over their family's residential properties than Oliver does. That apartment building is beautiful and one of 4 locations I strongly want to see redeveloped on Troost. The other three are all the retail/second floor apartments at 31st/Linwood (duh) the apartment/retail building just south of my house at 42nd and Troost and the apartment/retail building at 43rd and Troost.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The process of acquiring the other properties for the MAC project was always going to take forever. And this could have taken a lot longer than it has. Once things change in parcel viewer I can say more.

KCtoBrooklyn, you seem to hear about the same projects I do. Anything that you can share?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

chaglang wrote:KCtoBrooklyn, you seem to hear about the same projects I do. Anything that you can share?
I have been a little out of the loop lately. I can add some info on 911 E Linwood. As reported, there have been a number of people kicking the tires, but not many haven't gotten too far along. There is one developer (not someone that I was familiar with) who has gotten far enough get to the point of meeting with neighborhood leaders (about a month ago). I wasn't able to make it to that meeting and I haven't heard an update.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It appears to be a demolition of the building.

NDEMOLISH - DANGEROUS BUILDINGS DEMO IN PROGRESS

http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permi ... parcelflag

http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permi ... /index.cfm
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote:It appears to be a demolition of the building.

NDEMOLISH - DANGEROUS BUILDINGS DEMO IN PROGRESS

http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permi ... parcelflag

http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permi ... /index.cfm
We know, see the top of the page.

There's actually multiple demolition permits for the building.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The city will own the NW and NE corners at Armour by the end of the year. Deal's done.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Wonderful news! So the city already owns the SE corner and Mac owns the SW. So I guess the only remaining parcel is the Abnos owned former hotel building? Any progress on that front? Would Mac go ahead with the project without that property?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:Would Mac go ahead with the project without that property?
That's my understanding. They'd prefer to have the building in the deal, but it's not critical.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

I apologize if I have missed or forgotten something, but what is the plan for these corners? Does MAC want to fix up the building on the SW corner like it said it would 5+ years ago? Is the plan for new-construction residential with street-facing retail on the other corners?
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Oliver Abnos is coming over to my house today to fix the ceiling in my room. Maybe I can convince him to sell the hotel property while he's here lol.