Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Troost developments

Post by chaglang »

Armour and Troost is already dense enough to support a good deal more than what is there. There may be an issue of current building owners not giving enough fucks to rent their property. That's the only reason I can think of for the continued vacancies.

Regarding home values, I'm not convinced that Troost is such a detriment anymore- at least in some areas. The SHP market seems strong, and we are seeing houses in Squier Park sell in days, at prices comparable to nicer parts of SHP or Longfellow. My takeaway is that buyers are looking at only the property itself, as opposed to taking the property and Troost into account. I should add the caveat that I'm just a guy with a house, not a real estate expert, and this could all be bullshit.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

In a Metrowiremedia article about the UC-B projects on east 63rd St, there are a few interesting tidbits regarding Troost:
http://www.metrowiremedia.com/news/uc-b ... on-efforts
Hoffman intends to connect the “New Brookside” corridor to Troost Avenue, and from there, he predicts investment to continue along the troubled dividing line. As investment in the area builds, UC-B will look to reinvigorate a block of properties it owns at 55th and Troost.
It looks like UC-B along with "UNIVERSITY DISTRICT VENTURE LLC" (which I'm guessing may be another LLC from UC-B for this project) own the entire west side of the 5500 block of Troost. This includes a number of great looking historic retail buildings with a couple vacant lots in the middle of the block. There is a ton of potential on this block and I can see it turning into something very nice.
Additionally, UC-B recently relocated its offices to 4325 Troost, where the firm plans to construct four of the first market rate, single family homes in the Manheim neighborhood in more than 50 years
It seems like the plan where a number of different architecture firms were going to build small, affordable models houses in Manheim Park has stalled out, so it is good to see someone may be moving ahead with some new single family homes in the neighborhood. I hope they are able to keep the price reasonable enough for the properties to sell.

I know people may not love every design choice that UC-B makes, and some people may have personal issues with John Hoffman, but I think he is a terrific asset to the city. He seems to be the only local developer willing to invest significant funds into the Troost corridor. If only we had a few more developers like that.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

This is tricky because while the corridor does need reinvestment, it also needs quality reinvestment that's going to last for a while and be an asset to Troost. The buildings are going to be here a while, and you want them to be here for a while, and also look good and age well. In a market that's not got huge margins, I understand that's a tall order. UCB definitely hires architects that are up to that task, but some of the preliminary stuff hasn't been too inspired. I'm not advocating for a particular style - Troost is a glorious hodgepodge - just something with a better sense of place than the generic modernism that I've seen. (And no, it's not just UCB who is guilty here - the new construction around Bancroft School is grim.)

IIRC the team redeveloping the Wonder Bread factory are partly made up of locals. But honestly, if it takes out of towners like MAC to show the local development community that Troost isn't the urban hellscape the local banks think it is, I'm fine with that. But, yes, it is disappointing.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

The little strip of retail/few apartments on the southeast corner of 41st and Troost is undergoing a rehab. I took a peak inside the largest of the retail spaces (it previously had a brief lived tattoo shop in the space) and saw it's close to being a cafe or small restaurant (tables, soda machines, assorted restaurant materials and a giant sign that says "cafe"). A cafe at 41st and Troost. That's pretty exciting, right?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

JBmidtown wrote:A cafe at 41st and Troost. That's pretty exciting, right?
It could be exciting, but that remains to be seen, depending on what kind of establishment it is. There were a series of "cafes" at 34th and Troost that I thought had some pretty good food, but never lasted long (granted, that spot is in a shitty little strip mall and I think the 41st and Troost location could have more potential).

I will likely try to support this new cafe if it is at all decent, and I imagine other neighborhood residents will as well, but I think Troost really needs a destination cafe/restaurant that will draw in people who wouldn't otherwise come to the area. I can't say I remember ever going to the Westside before the Blue Bird Cafe (as it was named with the original owner, before changing to Bistro) opened, but I think that restaurant may have had a significant impact in the revitalization/gentrification of the Westside. I know it brought a lot of people to the neighborhood who had never been before, or didn't even know it existed.

I think the Antler Room could do something similar for Longfellow. Longfellow already has some good restaurants and a decent amount of development going on in the neighborhood and adjacent areas, but if the Antler Room is successful as the destination restaurant it has the potential to be, I think it could bring plenty of new people to the neighborhood. I've been bullish on Longfellow for a long time and I think it is really starting to take off. I think it has the potential to be one of the premier urban neighborhoods in the city. The one thing that may hold it back is the abundance of institutional housing that may give some people pause.

Anyway, back to 41st and Troost: I don't see any restaurant related permits for that sight. The only recent ones I see are for another tattoo parlor and hair salon. I hope this cafe does happen.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Women's boutique opens at 2711 Troost.

Pitch, 11/8
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

That cafe looks ready to open...I'm pretty excited about it
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

JBmidtown wrote:That cafe looks ready to open...I'm pretty excited about it
Urban Cafe is now open! Open 6:30 am to 4:30 pm.

I have been there a couple times already and everything has been really good! I think I will be spending a lot of time here. I really hope this place gets supported and stays in business.

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Every single drink in that fridge can be purchased at Costco. Is that actually cheaper than going thru a distributor?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I know that numerous restaurants and businesses buy certain items from Costco. I don't think it is cheaper than distibutors, but it is probably easier and quicker in many cases. Also, some items might not be easily available from the distributors they buy from.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

You can also buy beer at Costco but that hasn't stopped me going to bars.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
JBmidtown wrote:That cafe looks ready to open...I'm pretty excited about it
Urban Cafe is now open! Open 6:30 am to 4:30 pm.

I have been there a couple times already and everything has been really good! I think I will be spending a lot of time here. I really hope this place gets supported and stays in business.
I've been there a couple times. Nothing too mind blowing about the food but still a great little place and it's a restaurant/cafe...on 41st and Troost. It's very exciting and I'll do what I can to patron that place and keep it open.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

http://clemonsrealestate.com/property/2 ... ital-hill/

Marketing site for commercial, office, retail at 27th & Troost.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

2-3 stories at a spot with basically four entire blocks to fill.

That project needs to get whatever it takes to happen.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:In a Metrowiremedia article about the UC-B projects on east 63rd St, there are a few interesting tidbits regarding Troost:
http://www.metrowiremedia.com/news/uc-b ... on-efforts
Hoffman intends to connect the “New Brookside” corridor to Troost Avenue, and from there, he predicts investment to continue along the troubled dividing line. As investment in the area builds, UC-B will look to reinvigorate a block of properties it owns at 55th and Troost.
It looks like UC-B along with "UNIVERSITY DISTRICT VENTURE LLC" (which I'm guessing may be another LLC from UC-B for this project) own the entire west side of the 5500 block of Troost. This includes a number of great looking historic retail buildings with a couple vacant lots in the middle of the block. There is a ton of potential on this block and I can see it turning into something very nice.
So something just showed up in the KCMO Development Tracker Map regarding this project.

It looks like the plan calls for a 2 story, 47 unit apartment building on the vacant lot in the middle of this block. Those are going to be tiny units - average of 391 sq feet (not even subtracting sq ft for common space, hallways, etc, so units will be even smaller). I wonder if these will be dorm style with shared kitchens, baths, etc. It definitely seems like they are going for the college student demographic.

It looks like they are hoping to start in June and finish by the end of the year.

There is not a lot of info and no renderings, but there is this site plan:
http://maps.kcmo.org/kcgis/rest/service ... ments/7362

I really hope the neighbors don't try to kill this like they did with the student housing on the St. Francis Xavier lot.

I also noticed that the Troostwood Garage has closed down (not sure how long that has been the case). That is a nice looking building and seems like it would have good potential for retail. I am excited to see what happens with this block. It really does have great bones and could be a catalyst for improving the neighborhood east of Troost right there.
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

Troostwood Garage was recently purchased and is currently being renovated. Will be a great looking retail space.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Nice! Any idea who bought it or possible retail tenants?
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

Terra Management purchased it. They're mostly in the luxury multi-family market, though they have a few commercial buildings along Troost and in the urban core. Work just started last week on gutting the inside, and they will probably be finished around the beginning of June.

There will be two spaces of about 6,000 sf, and 3 smaller bays of 1,000 sf.

I think the owner would prefer something along the lines of a tech company to office in one of the larger spaces (I believe he's going with a trendy, industrial build-out), but no tenants have been identified as of yet. With the micro apartments going up in the lot across the street, this corner could be a neat hub for students in the near future, so hopefully the tenant makeup will steer toward that.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I've seen this rendering floating around, of the 5500 Troost Apartment Block infill:

JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... posal.html

Troost's future looks bright lately.