Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Troost developments

Post by KCMax »

chaglang wrote:
phuqueue wrote:"Quality of life" has nothing to do with it, it's all about economic incentives. "The suburbs don't look like Troost," but the suburbs don't look like Paris either. Suburban development exists not because it necessarily "works" on its own merits but because every level of our government has incentivized it in myriad different ways.
Exactly. If suburbs just "worked", then people would still be flocking to Raytown and Grandview, or even northern Johnson County.
WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:If a mixed use urban environment were attractive, in terms of quality of life, some baller like Gates would've flipped the urban fabric on 31st & Troost.
:?
Agreed. Its no surprise the most expensive places in the world (arguably even in this metro - the Plaza and Brookside), those in the most demand, are denser, walkable areas.

I don't know why some suburb hasn't spinned off a dense development like the tony 'burbs in DC have done, because I think it would be highly successful, but my guess is developers in KC are pretty risk averse, they know what "works", and as mentioned before, all the incentives and zoning requirements point to a more sprawled, suburban style development. I still remember that Imagine KC forum where the developer said they didn't develop dense projects because there was no demand for it. Well there's no demand for it because there's pretty much no supply of it in KC!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

chaglang wrote:
phuqueue wrote:"Quality of life" has nothing to do with it, it's all about economic incentives. "The suburbs don't look like Troost," but the suburbs don't look like Paris either. Suburban development exists not because it necessarily "works" on its own merits but because every level of our government has incentivized it in myriad different ways.
Exactly. If suburbs just "worked", then people would still be flocking to Raytown and Grandview, or even northern Johnson County.
WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:If a mixed use urban environment were attractive, in terms of quality of life, some baller like Gates would've flipped the urban fabric on 31st & Troost.
:?
Well Raytown is fully developed, has one of the highest PPM densities in the metro, and has almost no vacancy, so whats your point?

Plus downtown residents get ooodles of incentives, I've never have heard of suburban residence getting property tax abatement.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Raytown is fully developed?

It sure doesn't seem like it.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

chingon wrote:Raytown is fully developed?

It sure doesn't seem like it.
You get out there much?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Honestly, no. I guess I kind of think of the stretch along Raytown Road south of the stadiums when I think of Raytown, but looking at google maps, it's certainly more developed than I thought. I guess some of the areas I tend to conceptualize as Raytown are actually the KCMO hinterlands.

The parts of Raytown I think of as developed are the abomination that is 350 Highway, and the slumping retail along Blue Ridge Rd., neither of which is probably the best face of Raytown.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

chingon wrote:Honestly, no. I guess I kind of think of the stretch along Raytown Road south of the stadiums when I think of Raytown, but looking at google maps, it's certainly more developed than I thought. I guess some of the areas I tend to conceptualize as Raytown are actually the KCMO hinterlands.

The parts of Raytown I think of as developed are the abomination that is 350 Highway, and the slumping retail along Blue Ridge Rd., neither of which is probably the best face of Raytown.
Those are the best faces of Raytown, because they are the only faces.

But yes, all of Raytown is developed, a large part of the Raytown school district isn't, and that portion is all in KCMO.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:The Troost-area is now central to the punk community.
The Studded Bird of the East Crossroads, has ceased and the action's moved into musician's houses and apartments.

Good opportunity to see some savage shows in small spaces, the best kind.
indeed, though it appears that Asshole Castle is not long for this world. the neighbors are mobilizing and getting police involved.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

not to mention the manheimen. The sweatlodge isn't really east - and the mustache club is just weird.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

Are you guys talking about a gay brothel or bathhouse? "manheimen" "sweatlodge" "mustache club" "asshole castle". WTF?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Stockton wrote:Are you guys talking about a gay brothel or bathhouse? "manheimen" "sweatlodge" "mustache club" "asshole castle". WTF?
The Asshole Castle - and this is only information I've gleaned from the posts on the reliably entertaining HP Neighborhood page on Facebook - is a house in the 4000 block of Troost that was rented and then used as a music venue. The neighbors on Harrison were less than pleased and the place seems to be shut down, though it took a lot of effort to get the Leawood-based landlord to give a crap.
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

Yesterday.....demolition at SE corner of Troost & Cleaver.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

No cop involvement at the Asshole Castle show last night.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:No cop involvement at the Asshole Castle show last night.
was this The Men show? i totally forgot about it. how was it?
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Looks like Messy's is moving from 36th and Broadway to 32nd and Troost.

http://www.pitch.com/fatcity/archives/2 ... roost#more
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

A restaurant moving to that stretch of Troost is fairly significant I think. For someone to make that type of individual investment might be a sign that it's okay to open a business on Troost again. Several of the buildings around that area have been spruced up and have space for small business. Hopefully this is the beginning of a trend.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

FangKC wrote:A restaurant moving to that stretch of Troost is fairly significant I think. For someone to make that type of individual investment might be a sign that it's okay to open a business on Troost again. Several of the buildings around that area have been spruced up and have space for small business. Hopefully this is the beginning of a trend.
it would actually be the second place on the block - Gigis jazz club opened a while ago on the same block, though i have no idea whether it is still open.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Awesome news. Would be better if it was an all new business (or all new to the core) but this is a step in the right direction.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

chrizow wrote:
WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:No cop involvement at the Asshole Castle show last night.
was this The Men show? i totally forgot about it. how was it?
Good, from what I heard.

The actual making-of-art, making-of-music gets priced out of Arts Districts and into your backyard. Every city, every time that real estate comes around, guaranteed. Its part of the Hood Tax.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I've seen work going on inside the building at the NE corner of 37th and Troost the last couple of nights. The corner building is going to be some sort of coffee shop type place. Not sure about the teal building north of it.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Is it the former Ice Cream Parlor and Deli building?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=37th+and+ ... NjXyA&z=17