Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Troost developments

Post by chaglang »

Suspect they're tearing it down because it's sitting in the center of the largest parcel. I'm not too attached to it- it's a thoroughly ordinary building that has taken on outsized significance because it happens to still be standing.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think it's an attractive building and am suspect that anything that might replace it will not have half the detail this building possesses. I also tend to think we should reuse structures instead of adding to landfill. The carbon gases thrown into the atmosphere to create this building are still floating around. At some point, we need to get serious about maintaining buildings and consider what we are doing when it comes to the effect our decisions have on the planet.

Another idea. Create a plan to build around it We''ll probably get some basic utilitarian structure to replace it.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I get all that, but this is not the highest and best use of very prominent corner. As a resident, I really want the additional residents. I don't want to trade a few dozen units of housing for preserving this building.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Not to reflect on this project, but KC has been suckered plenty of times with the demo happening, then, poof!, the plans fell through! Guess I'll just make some parking.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Historic buildings vs MOAR PARKING is the ultimate central hyde park conundrum.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It's not a historic landmark, but I think it is a beautiful building and I would like to see it saved. We have destroyed so much of the historic fabric of this city, especially on Troost, so we need to preserve what little we have left. Otherwise, all sense of place will be lost.

That said, if MAC determines that demo of this building is necessary for the project to move forward, I would absolutely trade it for the development as it is currently planned.

However, I think that this project will likely get scaled back due to the demands of some neighbors and certain council members like Shields. I think this corner is likely to be scaled back the most, since in fronts Harrison. The original plan called for townhomes on Harrison and I think neighbors might push for a similar smaller scale, at least on the west facing side. I imagine there would be a lot of pushback for a 10 story building on that block.

If the overall project is scaled back, I would much rather see the other 3 corners kept the same with 10 story buildings while preserving the Market building and constructing townhomes or a smaller apartment building on Harrison rather than reducing the size of all four corners.

Currently, the plan calls for 204 units on the other 3 corners and 140 on the SW corner. If the market building were preserved with apartments on the 2nd floor, plus a small apartment building to the west on Armour and some townhomes on Harrison, you might end up with 40 units on the SW corner. So total units would fall from 344 to 244 which would be much more palatable to the concerned neighbors.

I know that MAC needs a certain number of units for financial reasons and to offset the risk on the retail portions, but aside from that, I think 244 units would be plenty for that corner and a larger enough project to be a game changer for Troost. It's not like there is a shortage of available land for development in the immediate area to add more units in the future.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If they are going to tear buildings down, I would rather they keep the Market Building, and instead add the properties on the east side of Troost--further south--to the development. Those are less attractive buildings, and they could make up density and units by extending the project to the next street south (36th).

Below is basically the current plan.

Here is the revamped plan extending the development down the east side of Troost.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

What is the deal with the parcels in red? Why are they not included in this plan? The lots are already cleared of buildings. We are talking about tearing down an existing building, and no one is talking about adding the additional housing units on these parcels.

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

They don't own those buildings to the south and they don't own the lot on the NE corner of Armour and Harrison. That's the main reason they aren't included in this development plan.
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: I know that MAC needs a certain number of units for financial reasons and to offset the risk on the retail portions, but aside from that, I think 244 units would be plenty for that corner and a larger enough project to be a game changer for Troost. It's not like there is a shortage of available land for development in the immediate area to add more units in the future.
Hell no. This project has the potential to be a watershed in KC and voluntarily reducing it by 1/3 because a handful of NIMBYs want to cling to their financially unsustainable, low-density way of life is absurd. 344 or bust.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The vacant lot on the NE corner of Armour and Harrison is owned by the owners of the dilapidated building to the north. The elderly owner recently died and left the properties to several parties in and out of town. The building is riddled with termites but the various new owners cannot come to agreement on treatment let alone any improvements.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

MAC would have included the Marquette building in the development plan, but they don't own that one either.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

chaglang wrote:344 or bust.
I don't know if you mean that literally, but would you rather nothing be built than 244 units plus retail?

Like I said, I would be happy to see 344 built, but I would be ok with 244. That would still be a watershed development. I think the retail on all four corners (if they are successful and filled with good tenants) will have the bigger impact on the future of the Troost than the residential.

I would trade the market building for a 10 story 140 unit building, but I am skeptical that a building of that scale will get approved for that lot. I would not want to see that building torn down for a 3 story, 30 unit building.

I don't think the number of units should be reduced in order to save the market building, but I do think the number of units is likely to be lowered one way or another. If the density needs to be reduced, it might as well involve saving the building.

My biggest fear is that it gets torn down and the development falls apart, leaving a vacant lot to sit until a lesser redevelopment plan might eventually come along.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

MAC would have included the Marquette building in the development plan, but they don't own that one either.
It is very sad this is an Abnos building - it's always been quite attractive and adds significantly to the historic feel and scale of Armour Blvd here.

Am curious what MAC thinks of this situation. The Marquette as-is is a rather desolate eyesore, certainly to the types of renters that they'll be courting in the new development.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
chaglang wrote:344 or bust.
I don't know if you mean that literally, but would you rather nothing be built than 244 units plus retail?
Yes. I'd rather wait for the right development than build a watered-down version of the MAC project. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to restore historical density on a street that has more baggage than any other in Kansas City. Given the recent trajectory of development on Troost, I strongly suspect that within a few years we would look at a reduced MAC project as a major missed opportunity.

More than anything, Abnos not selling probably dooms the Marquette. There isn't an obvious place to locate any parking that would be associated with a redevelopment project.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I just don't get why Abnos would hold on to the Marquette/Boulevard Manor building if they got any decent offer for it. I doubt Abnos is going to renovate it anytime soon.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

FangKC wrote:I just don't get why Abnos would hold on to the Marquette/Boulevard Manor building if they got any decent offer for it. I doubt Abnos is going to renovate it anytime soon.
Meth isn’t conducive to good decision making.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
mister816 wrote:UC-B Properties looks to build Scholar’s Row apartment project at 55th and Troost

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... rylink=cpy

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 94969.html
I noticed that ground has been broken on this project.
Update:

grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

Hey gang -- there is a house for sale at 33rd and Troost (more or less). I know there is a lot going on in the Troost corridor and I am reaching out for help! Two things:

1) Can someone list all of the developments happening in the area? A lot is here and a concise list would be stellar :)
2) How is the area improving? The thought of buying on Troost a few years ago seemed crazy -- is the neighborhood really up and coming?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

1) Here are the developments in that area of Troost that I can think of off hand. Many of these are still in the proposal phase, so uncertainties remain:

-24th and Troost - Beacon Hill hotel. Best Western was the last mentioned flag.
-25th - Proposal for 350 units plus retail in two towers. Will be downscaled or may be dead altogether. No recent news that I know of.
-27th -NE corner- Milhaus and UC/B - 185 units plus retail currently under construction. A market is being discussed as tenant.
-27th - SW and SE corner - Botwin just finalized purchase agreement - presumed to be mixed-use development, but no public details.
-27th- just S of SE corner building renovated to host clothing boutique, yoga studio, and I have heard rumors of restaurant cafe
-30th - Wonder Lofts - conversion of bakery building into 86 units plus retail. Brewpub discussed as retail tenant.
-30th - SW corner - retail building renovated for Ruby Jean's Juicery.
-31st - Troost Market Collective. Details are scarce, but hopefully good things happening with existing buildings: https://www.troostmarketcollective.org/
-Linwood - UC/B proposal for 134 units + retail in 3 phases. Still very preliminary.
-Armour - MAC properties - 344 units + retail in 4 new construction buildings on each corner.

2) The area is definitely improving, but that may depend on what you mean by "more or less" on Troost at 33rd. East or West of Troost? I have lived just west of Troost in that area (North Hyde Park) for about 8 years and have seen great strides in my neighborhood. That stretch of Troost hasn't really improved much in my time here, but I'm hopeful it will change significantly once more of these projects get rolling. East of Troost (Center City) has probably improved some, but not drastically.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Fencing is up around the market building on SW corner of Armour and Troost (blocking the sidewalk and bus stop). I'm guessing this is coming down soon.

I don't know why they would tear this down before the other two buildings (besides wanting to rush it through before it can be stopped).