Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Troost developments

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

mgh7676 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:08 pm Noticed today that there is actual signage up for EOT Brewery (East of Troost) today. Couldn’t find any actual social presence or articles about the brewery, so still not sure if it a real place?
Those are some nice looking signs, so I don't think they are placeholders. I'm thinking EOT Brewing will be a real thing.

Here is a shot of the interior work, but I don't really see any definitive indications of what the space will be:

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:39 pm
It will be 242 units in 10 buildings on Troost and Forrest, wrapped around a parking lot. It looks like it is just residential, without any mixed-use. That seems like a missed opportunity.

Here is the site plan.

This looks pretty similar to what's going in at 27th and Troost.

That East of Troost Brewing name is maybe a bit 'urban pioneers'-ish. Does anyone here from Longfellow or Beacon Hill know if a liquor license has been applied for?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

No curb cut on Troost though. So that's positive.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:02 am No curb cut on Troost though. So that's positive.
For sure. The Troost overlay nudges developers in this direction, but every development that avoids a Troost curb cut makes it more of an expectation that developments that can avoid one should do so. Expectation setting, etc.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

UC-B has put out some renderings for the SW corner of Linwood and Troost. I'm not sure of the details. They will be at the HPNA meeting tonight.

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

That looks awesome!
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

This is an exciting project. Mixed use, with (I think) some ground floor dwelling units. 90 units total, which is over double what the initial proposal was a few years back. Heard today that there is a percentage of affordable units in the mix. Linwood has lagged well behind Armour in even modest redevelopment. Between this and the reno at Gillham, maybe this will start to change.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

What is exciting is that three major intersections along Troost (27th, Linwood, Armour) are getting major new construction retail/residential projects.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Hopefully, these developments will spread to buildings like 909 Linwood. I’m worried that it will continue to deteriorate until finally torn down. If we really want affordable housing, a very large building like that one could make a big difference.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, and I worry that if it were torn down, any replacement wouldn't be as dense.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

That’s a concern. The word I always heard was that nobody could renovate 909 Linwood with even a few market rate apartments in the mix because the surrounding rental rates were too low. And then the developers would always miss on the LITC funding. Hopefully this will be the end of that nonsense.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The Linwood and Troost building will not be mixed-use. UC-B said there is already too much vacant commercial space around there, which is probably true.

PIEA granted tax incentives for the project. Star Article:
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 27010.html
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

CityScene KC article confirms brewpub in the works for Wonder Shops and Flats. Apartments 90% leased.

https://cityscenekc.com/wonder-shops-fl ... t-revival/

I heard a rumor of a taco joint going in as well (although the source was questionable). I'm not sure if there is much retail space still available in the building. Maybe the brewpub will serve tacos.

This developer's ability to land quality tenants for the commercial space is impressive. It seems like other nearby mixed-use buildings are struggling to fill their retail space (Union Hill, 34th and Main).

I hope this developer keeps doing more in KC after their Linwood and Gillham project. The ice cream truck building catty corner from that project seems like it would be a great opportunity for them to do something similar to the Wonder building.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

As of a week or two ago, there was no liquor application at the Bakery. So the brewpub may be in the works for a while.

It’s cool that the businesses and real estate agents are having back-slapping symposiums about Troost’s revival, but none of those people gave two shits about Troost 5-6 years ago. There was a lot of work that helped make this happen which they were not a part of. Of course, I’m happy they are here, etc.
Last edited by chaglang on Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The sign is up at Scholars Row which means opening day is getting close!

https://www.facebook.com/ucbproperties/ ... =3&theater
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Save Inc has plans for a 50 unit affordable housing development on the 3100 block of Harrison. The project is in doubt due to Missouri stopping state funding for affordable housing. However, I did notice on Compass KC, a "Prelimnary Project Code Review Meeting" has shown up for this.

I'm not sure how I feel about this project. There definitely is a need for more affordable housing in KC and the area, but Save Inc's other projects are pretty hideous/poorly designed. This one at least looks a little better. I would still rather see a mix of affordable and market rate. This would put a large concentration of institutional housing in that area with their other buildings north of 31st.

http://www.kcur.org/post/missouris-affo ... c#stream/0
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Who is the architect?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Troost Gets Another Boost with 89-Unit Apartment Project at Linwood

https://tinyurl.com/ycs2rbfs
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Youth who are homeless will soon have a place to call home in Midtown

50 units of affordable housing --mostly for foster car youth aging out of system.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/yo ... fyJLoqbrCc

The location.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0700217 ... a=!3m1!1e3
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

‘Who are you building it up for?’ Troost revitalization raises affordability concerns
For decades, Troost Avenue has been Kansas City’s shorthand for separation: east from west, black from white, poverty from opportunity.

That partition, a legacy of government policies that promoted discrimination and neglect, is dissolving. A wave of economic development, pushing for years from the west, has broken through. Between 24th and 52nd streets, more than 800 new apartments and a hotel are under construction or in the planning pipeline.

The once-vibrant shopping district at 31st Street is headed for renewal. Home rehabilitation and infill construction that started in Beacon Hill is surging south through the Center City, Squier Park and Manheim Park neighborhoods.

But with its transformation, Troost risks becoming shorthand for another kind of historic failure: The absence of city policies to ensure affordable housing and protect long-time residents from displacement.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... rylink=cpy