Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Troost developments

Post by kboish »

Once it is clear people (residents) are willing to move into new housing there the commercial will follow.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

chaglang wrote:Quick roundup:
If nobody's driven past 40th and Troost lately, go have a look. Oliver Abnos, for all his many faults, has got that building looking good. Don't think the interiors are finished yet. But there are windows in the building for the first time in the 30+ years I can remember looking at it.
Oliver's my landlord (unfortunately). It really seems he only has two other people working on that property (or any of his properties at any given time) which explains the snail's pace of the work on that building. Also of note is at 41st and Troost all the retail storefronts have been restored and the building is looking real nice. Troost is on its way. Signal the gentrification fear mongers.
KCCat
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCCat »

My father grew up at 37th and Forest, and I remember going to my grandmother's house many times and have always been fascinated with this area. I drove on Troost just yesterday, but I went from Clever Blvd to the south and headed east on Gregory. Now I need to drive north and see some of the changes that direction.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

chaglang wrote:Haven't seen the proposal for apartments at 30th yet, but I hear very positive things about the developer. Believe that's the developer who will be getting 3200 Gillham from Land Bank.
Last I heard, the Land Bank hadn't made a decision on 3200 Gillham yet, but the developers of the 30th and Troost project were one of at least 4 proposals, and from all accounts, they seem to have the strongest and best plan. I assume they will be chosen.
chaglang wrote: Fang, you're not alone in wondering about that building at the SE corner of Armour and Troost. The renderings from PIEA are actually much older, and predate the neighborhoods asking MAC if they could PLEASE save the building. A friend at MAC made it clear that no decision has been made on that existing building.
I have also heard that no decision about the building has been made. I am guessing the neighborhoods will rally to have that building (or at least it's facade) preserved.
chaglang wrote: Linwood and Troost is insane right now. There are at least two developers and an unknown number of individual buyers jockeying for buildings/land in the 3100 block of Troost, and on Linwood between Campbell and Forest. The trick is sorting out who is legitimate and who isn't (think multiple people claiming to have contracts on the same building), but it's a nice problem to finally have.
I have heard John Hoffman is one of the interested parties, with a plan for redevelopment starting at the 911 Linwood building (btw, the previous plan on that fell through due to a lack of funding) and go through to Troost.
chaglang wrote:The 27th and Troost project seems to be back, which is also good news. And I guess the hotel is going to go in at 24th, but that's been out of the news for a while.
Another intriguing project to add to 27th and Troost is with the pink former church building just south of the corner. Inner Space Yoga (currently on 31st near the "Cherry Pit" area) is moving there. I have heard there will be residential on the top floor and they are also looking at putting a restaurant (vegan?) in the building.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Man, this is all great news.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Re 909/911 Linwood, there are multiple developers claiming to have a contract on the building. It's hard to tell what's going on.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Landbank chose Exact Partners for the 3200 Gillham project just the other day. I was at their HPNA presentation and they were by far the best prepared.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

grovester wrote:Man, this is all great news.
Agreed.

For some bad news. The NE corner of 27th and Troost is slated to only get 3-story buildings.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Now we just have to hope the impending recession either isn't very deep or somehow holds off for another 24 months otherwise all of these developments could get wiped out or pushed back another 5+ years.

This is something like the 2nd longest continuous period without a recession since the great depression...we are due. Its really just a matter of when and how deep it will be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... ted_States

My guess is it happens sometime 6-12 months after the next president is elected, no matter who is elected. If its Trump, it will be sooner.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Will the Strand Theater start showing movies again?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

kboish wrote:
Now we just have to hope the impending recession either isn't very deep or somehow holds off for another 24 months otherwise all of these developments could get wiped out or pushed back another 5+ years.

This is something like the 2nd longest continuous period without a recession since the great depression...we are due. Its really just a matter of when and how deep it will be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... ted_States

My guess is it happens sometime 6-12 months after the next president is elected, no matter who is elected. If its Trump, it will be sooner.
I'm hoping that since the recovery was so tame that maybe the cycle will flatten out.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

mykn wrote:Landbank chose Exact Partners for the 3200 Gillham project just the other day. I was at their HPNA presentation and they were by far the best prepared.
They were definitely the best prepared. It was disturbing to see how little thought went into some of those presentations. There was a group that didn't present who wanted to buy the building and fix it up with NTDF money. :roll:
mykn

Post by mykn »

chaglang wrote:
mykn wrote:Landbank chose Exact Partners for the 3200 Gillham project just the other day. I was at their HPNA presentation and they were by far the best prepared.
They were definitely the best prepared. It was disturbing to see how little thought went into some of those presentations. There was a group that didn't present who wanted to buy the building and fix it up with NTDF money. :roll:
Yea, it was incredibly pathetic. The second guy, no plan, no clue, talked about he was a bad landlord with CSL Plasma for 50% of the time. Were you at the meeting?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Someone posted a photo on one of the KC History Facebook pages showing the Alana Hotel Apartments, on the SW corner of 27th and Troost, when it was still a functioning building.

KCCat
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCCat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Will the Strand Theater start showing movies again?
^^^^ I think that would be awesome!
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

mykn wrote:
chaglang wrote:
Yea, it was incredibly pathetic. The second guy, no plan, no clue, talked about he was a bad landlord with CSL Plasma for 50% of the time. Were you at the meeting?
I was.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chaglang wrote: Linwood and Troost is insane right now.
It sure feels like things are about to gain some real steam in the midtown corridor of Troost. I will be curious to see how the inevitable "civic" backlash frames itself, after 2 years of pretending to be all about the east side. I imagine any push back from traditional east side yackers will be pretty predictable.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Obama administration has offered a toolkit to change zoning and FHA loan regulations to make it easier to redevelop older neighborhoods. Perhaps adoption of these recommendations will help change the status quo.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/postever ... 95e83d6302
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

chingon wrote:
chaglang wrote: Linwood and Troost is insane right now.
It sure feels like things are about to gain some real steam in the midtown corridor of Troost. I will be curious to see how the inevitable "civic" backlash frames itself, after 2 years of pretending to be all about the east side. I imagine any push back from traditional east side yackers will be pretty predictable.
Agreed. Anecdotally, the housing market along Troost seems to be running well ahead of the commercial real estate market.

As it redevelops, Troost seems to be turning into an area that exists outside traditional political boundaries. One of the interesting things about a possible backlash is that I could see it coming from other council districts, but also from within the 3rd District. As an example, there is a petition to create an east side development fund that is backed by Freedom, Inc., and the KC branch of the SCLC. The western boundary of the fund is Paseo. If that becomes the norm in the future, and the narrative becomes "we already spent a bunch of money on Troost", I wouldn't be surprised. The Green Impact Zone poured a lot of money and political capital into Troost, which could also contribute to that sentiment. Factor in the boundaries of the Plaza-Midtown Area Plan (to Paseo), and the fact that our strongest backing for the Troost Overlay came from 4th District reps, and you can see what I'm getting at. That isn't to say that this is all bad: I think everyone agrees that the Troost boundary needs to be erased. But it's interesting to watch it happen, in real time, with apparently no planning on the city's part.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Agreed. Anecdotally, the housing market along Troost seems to be running well ahead of the commercial real estate market.
Interesting. I have always assumed there would need to be some retail movement on Troost before housing values on either side began to see any real improvement. By retail I mean a coffeeshop, music venue, nice liquor/grocery, semi-trendy restaurant or two (Succotash type place, etc.), decent bar, etc. Any mix of the above. I consistently think of Cherokee Street STL when imagining Troost's near future potential.

Proximity to desirable retail along Troost could be one of the primary selling points for homes in Hyde Park and SHP, but instead the road remains a detriment to the area.

Can't wait to see what the future holds, however, it sounds like things are finally starting to move in the right direction.