Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Troost developments

Post by chaglang »

GO KC Project- Beacon Hill Infrastructure Improvements Open House

The Kansas City Public Works Department is improving Forest Avenue from 25th to 27th Street and E 26th Street from Troost Avenue to Tracy Avenue in the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Join us for an open house to learn how this GO KC project will benefit your neighborhood. Public Works and project representatives will be present to answer questions and detail design plans.

WHEN: Tuesday, Feb. 27 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
WHERE: Kansas City, MO Health Department 2400 Troost– 4th Floor (Samuel Rodgers Room)
This came in an email a few days ago. The project area is more or less the footprint of the Milhous/UC-B development in Beacon Hill.

Has anyone else gotten an email about a GO Bond project? This is a first for me.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

chaglang wrote:
GO KC Project- Beacon Hill Infrastructure Improvements Open House

The Kansas City Public Works Department is improving Forest Avenue from 25th to 27th Street and E 26th Street from Troost Avenue to Tracy Avenue in the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Join us for an open house to learn how this GO KC project will benefit your neighborhood. Public Works and project representatives will be present to answer questions and detail design plans.

WHEN: Tuesday, Feb. 27 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
WHERE: Kansas City, MO Health Department 2400 Troost– 4th Floor (Samuel Rodgers Room)
This came in an email a few days ago. The project area is more or less the footprint of the Milhous/UC-B development in Beacon Hill.

Has anyone else gotten an email about a GO Bond project? This is a first for me.

I saw that email as well. It is the first I've seen/received.

This northeast news article explains that the feds funded initial redevelopment of this area with a promise from the city to expend a certain amount of money to support their investment, so the city is obligated to spend this money here (from some source) or cut a check to the feds to repay them.
nother project that caught the attention of the Council was the $3.6 million expenditure for the reconstruction of streets, sidewalks, and storm water infrastructure in the southwest quadrant of Beacon Hill, between 25th Street and 27th Street. Canady spoke out against spending valuable bond proceeds in year one of a decades-long plan on a portion of Kansas City that has already seen significant investment. She noted that it’s not in the best interests of a Blue Hills resident to fund an infrastructure project for a half-million dollar home in Beacon Hill.

John Wood, Director of the Neighborhoods and Housing Services Department, replied that the City is obligated to fund infrastructure in Beacon Hill because of the federal dollars that have previously been funneled into the area.

“It started off as a City project that utilized federal dollars,” said Wood. “HUD is expecting this to be complete within a 10-year window.”

First District Councilman and Mayor Pro Tem Scott Wagner advised against reading too much into the first year of a 20-year process, and acknowledged the dangers of putting off the Beacon Hill project until a later date. Wagner indicated that if funds aren’t dedicated to Beacon Hill as part of the local match soon, the City could be expected to cut a check to the federal government.

“Because there are federal dollars involved in Beacon Hill, there are federal expectations and federal obligations,” Wagner said. “However it gets satisfied, they don’t care, but it has to get satisfied nevertheless.”
And by the way, Paul Thompson at the northeast news does a great job covering things around town.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

So the city has been sitting on the obligation to pay for improvements for 20 years?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

chaglang wrote:So the city has been sitting on the obligation to pay for improvements for 20 years?
Correct. More or less.

As you'll recall, the city's housing program went into federal receivership because of the city led SNAFU related to redeveloping this area. To exit receivership, A judge determined what the city's obligations were to comply with their original contract. Completing certain improvements in the area were part of the agreement. Because the original funds were already spent, new money has to be used. So the city can either pay the FEDS and get nothing more in the area or build the improvements and get something. I assume, failure to do either risks falling back into receivership.

This project, I believe, is part of that implementation (along with other things that have already happened in the area). It may also be the last part of the original project.

From the cited article (written in 2013):
The city invested $11 million in federal housing dollars to acquire the property and several million city dollars in new streets and other infrastructure. But in 2004, Beacon Hill became infamous for two Tracy Avenue bungalows that soaked up as much as $600,000 in federal funds.

The city canceled the contract with its housing agency at the time and the redevelopment ground to a halt while a federal receiver and city officials tried to straighten out the financial mess. The economic downturn didn’t help –– a few new Beacon Hill townhomes failed to sell and eventually went rental.

The receivership lasted eight years, but finally ended this spring and city economic development agencies regained control of all the property.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It's profoundly disappointing that the city is funding prior obligations with GO Bond funds.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

It was definitely a point of contention when this project was added to the list.

At least it is for reconstruction of streets, sidewalks, and sewers, though. It just goes to show you how over extended the city is on all of its "obligations". But I'm sure if we just build more single family housing in the Northland it will all work out somehow. ::ducks::
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Happy Apple Cafe - new vegan restaurant coming to 55th and Troost this spring:

http://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/k ... 036c0.html
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

That corridor (as well as some of the midtown Troost nodes) would absolutely explode if 2 things happened: redevelop the Landing site, and upgrade the Troost Max to true BRT. Troost is low hanging fruit for the first time in probably 50 years.
yeliab
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by yeliab »

I went to high school with the owner of Happy Apple and he's a really nice guy. I hope it does well. I appreciate that he's planning on giving back to the community and love that lots of healthy black-owned businesses are going in along Troost considering its history.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Hyde Park has started a committee to voice concerns about the MAC development at Armour. Led by Central Hyde Parkers and Janssen Place residents. Focused on restricting the height of the development and maximizing the parking.
yeliab
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by yeliab »

There’s a sign up for a new shop by Urban Cafe. I just caught the sign as I was driving by

Edit: This is it https://m.facebook.com/thewisteriahouseapothecary/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

chaglang wrote:Hyde Park has started a committee to voice concerns about the MAC development at Armour. Led by Central Hyde Parkers and Janssen Place residents. Focused on restricting the height of the development and maximizing the parking.
Someone at these neighborhood and council meetings needs to explain that retailers will not return to Troost unless population densities start to go up again (except dollar stores, check cashing and title loan businesses, pawn shops). It isn't just the long-term racial issues, it's because neighborhoods along Troost depopulated. Retailers will also look at the annual income of households along the corridor. That will determine what retailers will come there, or if they will. Small business operators will get their loans from banks based on these metrics as well.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The people concerned about development live in CHP and Janssen, so if retailers never return it doesn't change anything for them. They will continue to drive everywhere for basics. Their warped sense of urban aesthetics trumps economics.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

So I guess they'd rather live near sketchy convenience stores, used auto lots, and title loan businesses.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

chaglang wrote:Hyde Park has started a committee to voice concerns about the MAC development at Armour. Led by Central Hyde Parkers and Janssen Place residents. Focused on restricting the height of the development and maximizing the parking.
I'm not surprised to hear that, but where have you seen this? Do they have an online presence?

Are there any upcoming meetings or hearings about this project? I don't see it on the upcoming HPNA meeting agenda.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It's a special committee put together by the HPNA pres at the behest of a few CHP/JP residents. No online presence AFAIK, but some of them have already met with the city to air grievances.
Last edited by chaglang on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

chingon wrote:That corridor (as well as some of the midtown Troost nodes) would absolutely explode if 2 things happened: redevelop the Landing site, and upgrade the Troost Max to true BRT. Troost is low hanging fruit for the first time in probably 50 years.
i thought it was low hanging fruit when the sidewalks were replaced along the 3100 block over 10 years ago...i guess the recession set it back some. lots of renovated looking, but empty storefronts on streetview. edit: those "renovated but empty looking" storefronts seem to have changed little in years, although there have been landscaping improvements.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

3100 block has been fouled for years by disinterested ownership. Hopefully, that's changing now.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Construction fencing has gone up on the UC-B/Milhaus project site at 27th and Troost.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Coming soon sign for Distrikt Biscuit restaurant is up at 3951 Troost (NE corner of 40th & Troost). Happy to see something finally move into this building!