Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Troost developments

Post by FangKC »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:10 pm
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:56 pm The body shop just to the north of the Firehouse (which often looked more like a salvage yard) has been completely cleared out. I wonder if it has been sold, or is going to be put on the market.
Here we go:

108 units, plus retail/restaurant.
Phase 1 is the building south of the firehouse, Phase 2 is to the north.

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... e8a952db1f
This is exciting.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC’s old Wonder Bread building gets new slice at life with renovation on Troost

https://fox4kc.com/2019/04/04/kcs-old-w ... on-troost/
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

FangKC wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:18 pm
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:10 pm
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:56 pm The body shop just to the north of the Firehouse (which often looked more like a salvage yard) has been completely cleared out. I wonder if it has been sold, or is going to be put on the market.
Here we go:

108 units, plus retail/restaurant.
Phase 1 is the building south of the firehouse, Phase 2 is to the north.

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... e8a952db1f
This is exciting.
Almost anything would be better than what is there now. I'm interested how this fits into the site, as it backs up to single family homes.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Yeah, those single family homes might have to go. :D
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:03 pm Almost anything would be better than what is there now. I'm interested how this fits into the site, as it backs up to single family homes.
It’s going to be interesting to see how the HPNA reacts. So far the only Troost project taller than 3 stories that they have supported is at Linwood, where there are no SFH’s to back up to. But there is nothing in the Troost overlay to prevent a building this size, which was deliberate.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

missingkc wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:20 am Yeah, those single family homes might have to go. :D
Apparently pushing all the unwashed, poor folks, and blacks out of their neighborhoods is on the top of the list before that becomes a top priority.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I don't understand, Steve.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:03 pmAlmost anything would be better than what is there now. I'm interested how this fits into the site, as it backs up to single family homes.
The fact that this project would be replacing two of the ugliest lots on Troost makes it all the more exciting. Here is the site plan with landscaping:

chaglang wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:18 amIt’s going to be interesting to see how the HPNA reacts. So far the only Troost project taller than 3 stories that they have supported is at Linwood, where there are no SFH’s to back up to. But there is nothing in the Troost overlay to prevent a building this size, which was deliberate.
I don't envision there being a lot of pushback from HPNA. For one, with this being in the corner of the neighborhood that is taken up mostly by the park, there are less nearby neighbors to potentially object. Also, Central Hyde Park seems to have the bulk of the NIMBYs in the area. I don't think there will be as much objection to the scale/density in SHP. You might be more likely to hear complaints about affordability/gentrification or the design aesthetics. There could be some complaints about the parking with only .5 per unit provided and none for the retail.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

^That's a smart read on the situation. It could be tough if the NA asks for more parking. There isn't an adjacent apartment building the developer can buy and tear down to satisfy the neighborhood's demands. :D

The parking and curb cut locations look good.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:40 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:03 pmAlmost anything would be better than what is there now. I'm interested how this fits into the site, as it backs up to single family homes.
The fact that this project would be replacing two of the ugliest lots on Troost makes it all the more exciting. Here is the site plan with landscaping:

chaglang wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:18 amIt’s going to be interesting to see how the HPNA reacts. So far the only Troost project taller than 3 stories that they have supported is at Linwood, where there are no SFH’s to back up to. But there is nothing in the Troost overlay to prevent a building this size, which was deliberate.
I don't envision there being a lot of pushback from HPNA. For one, with this being in the corner of the neighborhood that is taken up mostly by the park, there are less nearby neighbors to potentially object. Also, Central Hyde Park seems to have the bulk of the NIMBYs in the area. I don't think there will be as much objection to the scale/density in SHP. You might be more likely to hear complaints about affordability/gentrification or the design aesthetics. There could be some complaints about the parking with only .5 per unit provided and none for the retail.
APPROVED.

(Thanks for posting the site plan. Wouldn't load for me).
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

This plan looks fantastic. I recently moved from near 43rd and Campbell, and let me tell you that the car lot was just terrible the entire time I lived there (nearly 10 years). The other parcel on the corner was at least kept mowed, but still a waste of space. I think all of the neighbors will welcome this with open arms.

It will accomplish cleaning up the car lot, and it will really increase density in an area that is needed, and will help activate the southern end of the park and increase safety in that area in general. Maybe it will also start to keep away (on a permanent basis) the long time prostitute issue that we had at 43rd and Troost.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

jasty5 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:35 amThe other parcel on the corner was at least kept mowed, but still a waste of space.
Which parcel are you referring to? Both of these parcels were junky auto businesses.

If you're referring to the lot that used to have the domed tower remnant on it (SW corner of Troost and Brush Creek Blvd), that is not part of this project. There is a proposal for a dialysis center on that lot, but I'm not sure where that currently stands.

Has prostitution been a problem recently on that stretch of Troost? I used to see blatant activity in the past (seemed like it was centered around 41st or 42nd St), but now that I think of it, I don't recall seeing anything over the last few years. Maybe I'm just not in the right place at the right time.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

There are often trans prostitutes on the NE corner of 43rd and Troost.

Speaking of that intersection, it's surprising that no one has tried renovating the apartment building on the SE corner.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I remember seeing some permits issued for the renovation of that apartment building a little while back, but I haven't noticed any work happening.
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:18 pm
jasty5 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:35 amThe other parcel on the corner was at least kept mowed, but still a waste of space.
Which parcel are you referring to? Both of these parcels were junky auto businesses.

If you're referring to the lot that used to have the domed tower remnant on it (SW corner of Troost and Brush Creek Blvd), that is not part of this project. There is a proposal for a dialysis center on that lot, but I'm not sure where that currently stands.

Has prostitution been a problem recently on that stretch of Troost? I used to see blatant activity in the past (seemed like it was centered around 41st or 42nd St), but now that I think of it, I don't recall seeing anything over the last few years. Maybe I'm just not in the right place at the right time.
You are right, I was off a block. Big win here for the street. Need about 10 more of these. The prostitution issue has been on and off over the years, and 43rd was where I always saw them. I think a prostitute was actually murdered around 5 years ago near that area. I think it has steadily improved, and this project will only help.
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

chaglang wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:54 pm There are often trans prostitutes on the NE corner of 43rd and Troost.

Speaking of that intersection, it's surprising that no one has tried renovating the apartment building on the SE corner.
Oh, there's a family that's been "renovating" it for the past two and a half years. Very little progress here, and it's been frustrating. Of course they won't sell...
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

tskev wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:11 am
chaglang wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:54 pm There are often trans prostitutes on the NE corner of 43rd and Troost.

Oh, there's a family that's been "renovating" it for the past two and a half years. Very little progress here, and it's been frustrating. Of course they won't sell...
The SE corner shows as owned by someone who lives in California. That probably plays a part.
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

flyingember wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:05 am
tskev wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:11 am

Oh, there's a family that's been "renovating" it for the past two and a half years. Very little progress here, and it's been frustrating. Of course, they won't sell...
The SE corner shows as owned by someone who lives in California. That probably plays a part.
It's a mother and two sons. At least one of the sons lives here in KC. I'm sure that doesn't help, but I think it's primarily an issue of a landlord just not caring enough to get it finished.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Looks like some work was happening at the Marquette Building at Armour and Forest. There’s some excavation in front and the west doors were open this weekend and it like it was being cleaned out. Given who owns it, who knows what’s actually going on.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:10 pm Image
//compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService#/plan/c45525a4-5219-4369-bb32-11e8a952db1f[/url]
A blight study and general development plan for this project have been submitted on Compass:

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 5b82559a31

The PIEA board did have a meeting this morning. I can't find a copy of the docket, but I am guessing this was on it. I'm not sure if they made a decision on incentives today.

Hopefully this will be moving forward soon.