Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Troost developments

Post by moderne »

Jesus caffeine and protein?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:59 pm The parapet detail work on the Firestone building at Linwwod and Troost is getting cleaned up. Anyone know if there is anything behind that (new owner/tenant)?
Could be. There was obviously a cleanup effort happening in that building last week that resulted in an enormous pile of hoarder-grade detritus on the sidewalk. Maybe that Tim Bowman project is happening?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Which was the Tim Bowman project? Was that part of Troost Market Collective?

It looks like the building is still on the market, but maybe it hasn't been updated yet.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It was in the same buildings as the Troost Market Collective, IIRC, but not part of the same development. If that makes any sense.
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

The Firestone is still on the market, but the development partners have taken ownership.

The Herrons were foreclosed on, so work is being done to the building and their junk is being moved out. This is not owned by Tim Bowman. He owns 3103 Troost (Native American building), 3115 (Shankman) and 3131 (Michelson).
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

So did Clemons take ownership?

Getting the property out of the Herrons' hands (and having a clean title) sounds like a good thing.

Do you know if more of their properties are being foreclosed?
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

Clemons is a minority partner with some other money partners. They are managing the development, looking to either sell or lease the properties. The Troost Market Collective is a potential tenant but nothing is signed I believe.

I believe the Herrons are completely off the block. They still have ownership of the small parking lot on the west side, the Belmont and a few vacant parcels nearby though.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Well, the cast concrete details on the Firestone building look a lot better with the staining/discoloration gone, but I don't love the way the brick looks now. More significantly, it looks like the cleaners may have caused some considerable damage:
Before:

After

Before:

After
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I saw that too. I’m hoping that they are just tucking and will go back and clean off excess grout, restoring the original color.

Also, the building at Linwood and Gilliam is being worked on. The wood window coverings were removed a few weeks ago. That one could look nice. Anyone have info?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Is it possible the details were taken off to be restored? When the boley building got restored I think they ended up removing almost the entire facade before cleaning reattaching it
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It is possible that they were intentionally removed, but they look more broken off to me. You can see the Firestone logo piece still sitting behind there, so if it is going for restoration, it hasn't made it very far.

There were also no signs of any work going on, or even any tools/materials from the workers. That gave me the impression that they might have stopped abruptly and left after an accident, rather than this still being a work in progress.

Hopefully, I'm wrong. Or they are at least able get the costs of the repair covered.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:35 pm Also, the building at Linwood and Gilliam is being worked on. The wood window coverings were removed a few weeks ago. That one could look nice. Anyone have info?
I'm not sure if you are referring to the building on Gillham Rd or Gillham Plaza, because there are buildings being renovated on both of those streets at Linwood. They are discussed in this thread:

http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18275
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:03 pm Is it possible the details were taken off to be restored? When the boley building got restored I think they ended up removing almost the entire facade before cleaning reattaching it
Perhaps, they are removing Firestone symbol. Would be cool to modify it into a T for Troost.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: I'm not sure if you are referring to the building on Gillham Rd or Gillham Plaza, because there are buildings being renovated on both of those streets at Linwood.
Gillham Rd, just east of the Jiffy Lube.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

That is the Acme Cleaning building. The same Colorado developer who is behind the Wonder Lofts at 30th and Troost is renovating it. I believe it will be all residential (28 units). At one point, they might have been discussing a mixed-use component, but I think that is no longer the case
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I noticed a brick worker back in action today on the Firestone building, so hopefully they will get everything repaired.

Up To Date on KCUR spend a big chunk of today's program discussing the redevelopment of 31st and Troost. They focused a lot on broad issues like gentrification and didn't get too much into details of the plans.

Here are some tidbits I found of interest, some just confirming things we already knew.

Clemons Real Estate is does now have an ownership interest in 7 of the buildings on the block and is involved in their renovation (assuming those are former Herron properties). Possible tenants mentioned include Troost Market Collective (focus on maker industry), retailers, coffee shops, office space on the upper floors of these buildings.

A museum for the Native history/heritage in the area is in the works (separate buildings from the Clemons properties).

They hope to form something like the Downtown Council or a CID to oversee the redevelopment.

Frank Ellis called in and said his group (along with Tim Bowman), Midtown Redevelopment, is scheduled to close in 6 to 8 weeks on $18M in property in the area, including the Shankman and Michelson Buildings (3115-3133 Troost). He also mentioned a first phase of 28 apartment complexes. He shockingly said that his tenants are going to be 75% African American, which would be a fair housing violation. I'm surprised a developer would even mention race in regard to tenants at all, because that is the best way to get HUD on your ass. He mentioned 4 locally owned restaurants and a "AAA anchor tenant" using 13k sq ft.

Link to the show:
http://www.kcur.org/post/seg-1-redevelo ... -us-modern
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Tim Bowman told me in a meeting a year or two ago that the 3100 block would never redevelop unless the bus stops were moved somewhere else, because of the type of people that hang around the stops. So... if the project is moving forward maybe they have come around on this?
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:35 pm A couple new renderings from the article on the Wonder Lofts project at 30th and Troost.

I'm guessing that E.O.T (or EDT?) Brewing is just a placeholder. I really hope they can make some sort of brewpub happen.
Noticed today that there is actual signage up for EOT Brewery (East of Troost) today. Couldn’t find any actual social presence or articles about the brewery, so still not sure if it a real place?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I just glanced over the permits for that building and can find some for the known commercial tenants (Blip and Bike Walk KC), but I don't see anything for EOT. I'm guessing it may still be just for marketing purposes.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I just noticed in Compass KC that a replat application has been submitted for 2501 Troost. This is the site where Andrew Brain had proposed the twin towers.

I don't see a lot of info available, but it does say 242 units. The original proposal included 350 units, but it is no surprise that it would be scaled down. I'm not sure if it is still Andrew Brain behind this.j

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 8257405a6d

Edit: I found some more docs on Compass relating to this project.

So it looks like someone else is behind it: GSSW Real Estate Investments out of Texas. This appears to be their first foray into our region:
http://gsswrealestateinvestments.com/

It will be 242 units in 10 buildings on Troost and Forrest, wrapped around a parking lot. It looks like it is just residential, without any mixed-use. That seems like a missed opportunity.

Here is the site plan.