Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Troost developments

Post by mean »

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Oh god, I thought you were maybe being a bit harsh on the development consultant, but no. He comes off as a complete stammering boob who can't even answer Gina's basic questions. I had to shut it off when he kept answering everything with seemingly irrelevant references to food deserts.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

The whole thing was awkward. "Sovereignty", the guy talking about the "hood", it was all cringe-worthy.

Felt bad for the host, but she handled it like a pro.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The development consultant was Donovan Mouton. I shut it off when he said that NIMBYs for to blame for the lack development on the east side. Uh, ok.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chaglang wrote:The development consultant was Donovan Mouton. I shut it off when he said that NIMBYs for to blame for the lack development on the east side. Uh, ok.
shocked that there isn't unanimity that it's a market problem, right?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Put it this way: that was a new one to me.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Clearly it's hard to blame NIMBY on not having any projects when there haven't been any.

After all, the east side is similarly against projects as other parts of the city that get lots of development.

http://northeastnews.net/pages/?p=35176
http://www.kctv5.com/story/15411191/res ... -crime-lab
Early talks about shadows and blocking views around the new Troost residential tower
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

^^ Don't make blanket statements like that. The Kansas City University plan is opposed by neighborhood groups because it demolishes several 100-year-old colonade apartment buildings for university surface parking.

Many residents in the Old Northeast are very supportive of the Paseo Gateway redevelopment plan, as well as the redevelopment plan for the former Hardesty GSA parcel.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It's a shame that Gina Kauffman didn't ask him for some examples to back up such an odd statement. The Northeast is kind of its own thing, so this may not apply there. But what I've seen along Troost and slightly east is an attitude from some developers and city officials that residents here should be thankful for whatever business or project they get, regardless of its merits. Any project on the eastside is desirable because it's a project on the eastside. And people who oppose it or criticize the project are NIMBYs. That happened with the (now dead?) hotel in Beacon Hill, and it's happened several times when businesses open up that don't fit the zoning. It makes it difficult - particularly with city council, who have such a short tenure and want legacy projects - to stick to a long-term vision.

The flip side is that if you're in favor if a development project, you're a gentrifier. :P
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

chaglang wrote:The flip side is that if you're in favor if a development project, you're a gentrifier. :P
I will say that I listened to a meeting about the Urban Youth Academy around when construction was starting on KCUR and it was pretty disheartening. People were either saying it was going to gentrify the area, it should've been basketball because black kids don't play baseball and many were trying to act like this one project was supposed to solve every single problem in the East Side. It was crazy. Quinton Lucas had to explain reality to many people, like "hey, if MLB and the Royals want to spend millions of dollars in my district, I'm not going to turn them down because it isn't a small business incubator and isn't going to provide thousands of jobs to only east side residents."
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I picked up an album recently that has this stamp on it:

What I find interesting about this (aside from the fact that this would be practically around the corner from my house) is the date stamp of April 1968. The riots in KC after MLK's assassination were on April 9th. I'm curious what day in April this was stamped and if this establishment existed much longer.

This building does not exist any more. There was the building that recently collapsed right by, but I'm guessing the address for that would have been 3301 and 3303 and this would have been right next door.

I think record store on Troost today would be phenomenal. If Holy Cow does eventually need to move because of the Bitterman's Candy development, I wouldn't mind seeing it move to Troost.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

UC-B Properties looks to build Scholar’s Row apartment project at 55th and Troost

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... rylink=cpy

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 94969.html
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

More here, the first 'all micro' project in KC, as in all units are only 300sqft. Given between Rockhurst/UMKC, sounds more like a dorm leaning product from private sector.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... venue.html
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Here is an interesting tidbit in the BizJournal article on this development:

"Meanwhile, Hoffman said, UC-B Properties is building and restoring single-family homes near the Scholars Row site. The firm recently acquired a total of 21 vacant lots and old homes in an area bounded by 54th Street, 55th Street, Troost and the Paseo, he said."
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

earthling wrote:More here, the first 'all micro' project in KC, as in all units are only 300sqft. Given between Rockhurst/UMKC, sounds more like a dorm leaning product from private sector.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... venue.html
Pickwick has quite a few 350ish sqft units, so it almost fits in this category too.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Milhaus/UC-B are seeking an abatement for the project at 27th and Troost (although the article doesn't seem to say how much):

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... quest.html

182 apartment units plus 12,000 sq ft retail. Trying to get a small-format grocer for the retail.

Hoping to break ground in the fall with 15-18 month construction time line.

Draw is the architect and these rendering are currently up on their website:

JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

The building on the southwest corner of 27th and Troost is finally being gutted. Anyone know if the the other corner parcel (northeast corner) is also slated for development?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

JBmidtown wrote:The building on the southwest corner of 27th and Troost is finally being gutted. Anyone know if the the other corner parcel (northeast corner) is also slated for development?
gutted or demolished?
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

It looked like a gutting, although part of the facade seems to have been removed. I would hope they're not just doing interior demo work. That would be a tragedy.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

JBmidtown wrote:It looked like a gutting, although part of the facade seems to have been removed. I would hope they're not just doing interior demo work. That would be a tragedy.
if you have the address we can check for utility cutoff or demolition permits.