Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Troost developments

Post by JBmidtown »

flyingember wrote:
Eon Blue wrote:Don't care for the setback and the pedestal garage.
very large project for a decades-long neglected corridor and there's complaints...
Well it's on the Rag so it doesn't really matter.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Eon Blue wrote:Don't care for the setback and the pedestal garage.
There are some pretty obvious problems with massing, scale, setback, and street level experience. That said, renderings aren't usually worth the pixels they're printed on. An investment this size, in this location, would have an enormous positive impact on Troost. My hope is that the developers are diligent in engaging KCMO Planning, the neighborhood and the broader Troost community as the design evolves further.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Since there's so much going on now on Troost, here's a list of everything I've heard of so far. Edit/amend as needed:

24th - proposed hotel (may be stalled/dead)
25th - large mixed use building(s)
26th - townhouse development/retail at the NE corner of 27th/Troost
27th - rumors of maybe something happening at the SW corner
30th - Wonder Brad Lofts/mixed use
31st - Operation Breakthrough expansion into the old Jones Store building was on the Landmarks docket for tomorrow
3100 block - multiple buildings for sale, multiple developers interested
Linwood - mixed use UC-B project
34th - Development Tracker shows a proposed addition to the Alpha Energy building
Armour - proposed mixed used on all 4 corners by MAC
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is impressive to get that kind of investment/interest along Troost. And what's the latest scoop with MAC redoing all 4 corners of Troost/Armour?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It's been quiet for a few months. I don't take that as a bad sign.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Yeah I think MAC is just in the financing stage and maybe still trying to purchase the parcels.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Would also like to see MAC buy the Burger King at corner of Armour/Main, with a large corner lot. And sponsor a few bike stations along Armour including to the new retail for Troost/Armour. That's not asking too much, is it?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Gotta think that if the BK was interested in selling, MAC would have grabbed it instead of building around it.
Nathan
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Nathan »

Just attended a neighborhood presentation by Andrew Brain on the AB Proposal at 25th and Troost.

- All rental
- 1.90 sq/ft
- no low income requirements
- no underground parking
- Has not met with the Troost Coalition, and representatives were in attendance. He had already called out that the project doesn't meet the Troost Overlay.
- Neighbors would like to see a view and shadow study for the surrounding area. Folks from Paseo, Tracy, Forest concerned about losing views.
- Claims to have promising talks going with 2 grocers.
- Talked up Prescient Construction from JE Dunn is making the project possible, height and cost.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

If approved this will have surrounding apartment owners interested in tearing down and building new at higher rents.

The gentrification of the Troost corridor just took a huge step forward.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Nathan wrote: - Neighbors would like to see a view and shadow study for the surrounding area. Folks from Paseo, Tracy, Forest concerned about losing views.
views of... what?
Nathan
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Nathan »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Nathan wrote: - Neighbors would like to see a view and shadow study for the surrounding area. Folks from Paseo, Tracy, Forest concerned about losing views.
views of... what?
Downtown. Can be seen from the back of West Paseo homes and Tracy.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Neighbors weigh in on $120 million project, development boom on Troost

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... oject.html
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Nathan wrote:Downtown. Can be seen from the back of West Paseo homes and Tracy.
if we demolished everything, we'd all get a view of downtown. just sayin'...
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Nathan wrote:Downtown. Can be seen from the back of West Paseo homes and Tracy.
if we demolished everything, we'd all get a view of downtown. just sayin'...
HAHA I love you Dave.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Those planned buildings are not that much taller than the apartment building that used to be on the NW corner of 27th and Troost--the Barclay Apartments.

http://kchistory.org/cdm4/item_viewer.p ... OX=1&REC=2
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

My understanding of current proposal is it would be double the size of that. That looks like 5-6 story building. The proposal is for a 10 and a 12, on top of a 1-2 story parking podium.

The overall scale of the proposal doesn't bother me. That neighborhood is infilling rapidly with smaller buildings on the side streets, and this is on Troost, so there's some overall legibility to the arrangement. I'm concerned that (1) the street level experience on Troost is pretty poor: just the side of the garage wall for much of the block; and (2) the combination of private garage and elevated private green space lends itself to a situation where the residents of the development simply go into the complex and never interact with the rest of the community. It would run counter to the developer's wish (according to what he said at the meeting) for this to be part of the Beacon Hill community, not just a development that happens in the community. I raised both of these points to him in the meeting and he was receptive, though he said he hadn't given either much/any thought before.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Agreed. It all seems like easy fixes to design. I hope you keep making those meetings and pressuring them on making those much needed changes.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

http://kcur.org/post/while-kansas-city- ... e-underway

This article from Kevin Collison on KCUR's website mentions a development project in the works for 43rd and Troost. I don't recall hearing anything about that.

UC-B does have their offices on the 4300 block of Troost, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have something planned, but it doesn't look like they own any other parcels around there. Anyone know anything about this?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Did anyone else catch Central Standard on kcur this morning regarding East Side development? What an uncomfortable shit show that was. No wonder things seem stuck. Didn't catch who the "development consultant" was, but he could barely string a coherent sentence together.

Link wasn't available just now, but I'll add it later. Very disheartening if these folks are representative.