Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Troost developments

Post by flyingember »

This is what happens when downtown land becomes too expensive. The companies that can't afford the price tag of an 8 story building moves outward.

It's great for the east side this is the case.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It's too bad the old Katz building couldn't be saved, but I have heard from other sources that it is just too far gone.

I heard the UC-B is also looking at purchasing and rehabbing 911 Linwood as part of this plan. I wonder if they have their eyes on any other nearby properties.

It is interesting that they are planning 3 separate phases, as opposed to Mac at Armour and Troost feeling the need to do all 4 corners at once to have a bigger impact. I do feel like all at once may be a better approach, but it does seem like Linwood and Troost isn't as troublesome as Armour and Troost, so phased development may work.

Big things definitely seem to be happening on Troost. I know many of these are still in the planning phase and could fall through, but if everything does happen as planned, Troost could be a very different place in just a few years.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This is all very good news.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:It's too bad the old Katz building couldn't be saved, but I have heard from other sources that it is just too far gone.

I heard the UC-B is also looking at purchasing and rehabbing 911 Linwood as part of this plan. I wonder if they have their eyes on any other nearby properties.

It is interesting that they are planning 3 separate phases, as opposed to Mac at Armour and Troost feeling the need to do all 4 corners at once to have a bigger impact. I do feel like all at once may be a better approach, but it does seem like Linwood and Troost isn't as troublesome as Armour and Troost, so phased development may work.

Big things definitely seem to be happening on Troost. I know many of these are still in the planning phase and could fall through, but if everything does happen as planned, Troost could be a very different place in just a few years.
I was in the Katz building about a year ago and can confirm it's too far gone to save. It would need new floor & structure and a new roof & structure just to start. It would also be difficult to reuse as part of a HTC project because it's historically been one large space and subdividing it into living spaces would probably not fly with the SHPO.

Not sure if UC-B is looking at 911 Linwood... but it seems like everyone else is.

Talked with a few people who have inquired about buildings in the 3100 block of Troost. Apparently, that block is still idle due in part to the crazy high asking prices. A friend thought the owners were deliberately holding the buildings as speculation. There's a lot happening on Troost but the land speculation is really taking hold.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

chaglang wrote:Talked with a few people who have inquired about buildings in the 3100 block of Troost. Apparently, that block is still idle due in part to the crazy high asking prices. A friend thought the owners were deliberately holding the buildings as speculation. There's a lot happening on Troost but the land speculation is really taking hold.
Yep, the prices on those buildings seem pretty crazy. I've met the owner (same owner as 911 Linwood) and she does seem like she cares about the neighborhood and wants to see good things happen, but sitting on those properties for outlandish prices isn't helping.

On a separate note, there was an article in the Biz Journal today about the project at 27th and Troost. Subscriber only, so I'm not sure what all it says:
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... rties.html
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

From bizjournal:

The site is bounded by 26th Street on the north, 27th Street on the South, Forest aAvenue on the east and Troost on the west. It is part of the Three Corners redevelopment area, which includes LCRA-owned sites at the northeast, southeast and southwest corners of 27th and Troost. Vogelsmeier said the project, dubbed 27 Troost, will include 182 market-rate apartments and 12,000 square feet of commercial space.
Last edited by missingkc on Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benoist
Surface Lot

Post by Benoist »

JBmidtown wrote:http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... posal.html

Troost's future looks bright lately.
Wow that's great news! I am excited to see Troost and Linwood develop! Does anyone know of a specific timeline that will go with the project? When will construction start? Are there any renderings of how it will look? Keep me updated on this. I am near this area a lot.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Yep, the prices on those buildings seem pretty crazy. I've met the owner (same owner as 911 Linwood) and she does seem like she cares about the neighborhood and wants to see good things happen, but sitting on those properties for outlandish prices isn't helping.

On a separate note, there was an article in the Biz Journal today about the project at 27th and Troost. Subscriber only, so I'm not sure what all it says:
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... rties.html
The owners of 911 (and most of the 3100 block, and several other buildings in the area) sat on those properties and used them as storage space for years, and are only selling now because of massive tax liens. So... I'm sure she cares about the neighborhood, but she shows it in a very strange way. :D

The 27th project is good news. That site has been in flux since Truman bailed on the grocery store that was supposed to go there. And I think there's a project going in on the SW corner of that intersection at some point.

Not sure it's been mentioned here, but Operation Breakthrough bought or is buying the old Jones Store at the NW corner of 31st and Troost. Glad to see them expand their footprint on that corner.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

At a minimum, they should move that 2nd row of apartments to front 26th and 27th and keep all the parking mid-block.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Yeah, that's a curious move. Without seeing an elevation, the obvious concern is that the buildings on the Troost side of the lot are designed to face onto each other and not onto the street.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... oject.html
I never thought I would see the day Troost would have this much activity
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

[align=][/align]
macnw wrote:http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... oject.html
Can't get past the paywall. Where exactly on Troost is this?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

macnw wrote:http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... oject.html
Any subscriber want to give us some more details from the article? Looks like this is between 25th and 26th Streets.

I've always been cautiously optimistic about the future of Troost, but it seems like it has always been one step forward, two steps back. It seems like that could be about to change and it's full steam ahead. I didn't think it would happen this quickly. There are still countless obstacles to overcome, but this is very encouraging.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

A partnership involving Andrew Brain, son of longtime Kansas City business and development leader David Brain, has a bold plan for a vacant block on the east side of Troost Avenue.

AB Development Partners LLC is planning a $120 million mixed-use project on the block bounded by 25th Street, 26th Street, Troost and Forest Avenue.

The yet-to-be-named project, which is adjacent to the Beacon Hill redevelopment, calls for 350 multifamily residential units, 21,000 square feet of retail space and a 412-unit parking garage.

The retail space would be located on the ground floor of a 10-story tower at the corner of 25th and Troost. The residential units would be located in that tower, a 12-story tower at 26th and Troost and 81 townhome units along Forest.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Rendering of the AB proposal

mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

hartliss wrote:Rendering of the AB proposal

This should be in the star parking lot
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

mister816 wrote:
hartliss wrote:Rendering of the AB proposal

This should be in the star parking lot
AMEN
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Don't care for the setback and the pedestal garage.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Pretty soon there will be three main arteries with relatively dense residential: Troost, Main and Broadway. If progress moves forward with Prospect and Independence Ave, Urban Kansas City will have really turned a corner.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Eon Blue wrote:Don't care for the setback and the pedestal garage.
very large project for a decades-long neglected corridor and there's complaints...