What's the deal with Waldo?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

When Dude mentioned Waldo Pizza, it just made me wonder what is the whole scene around Waldo like? I had never really been there until I drove through recently (I know, I need to get out more) but it looked a little like 39th Street. Would you characterize it as being more for young people, families, or just whoever? Is it emerging, stagnate, or on the decline?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i think Waldo is a good example of a relatively stable urban neighborhood that is still affordable for many people. i'd liken it to a more affordable, more organic Brookside. from what i understand, it is relatively stable, meaning stagnant, but not in a bad way. i dont think it's really going downhill or anything, but i do know some people who live there who complain that property crime seems to be increasing in the area, though that might just be their own experience. i also dont think it's really increasing its value in any significant way either. i think it's just kind of "there" and people who live there seem to like it.

i am sure all kinds of people live there, but i'd bet that a large majority of them are people who dont have school-age children or dont have them anymore. unfortunately, i really think that kcmo's terrible school system prevents many families from settling in the city, since most families cant afford private school (and since kc doesn't have a pervasive private school "culture" like STL does).

i like waldo.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Have they re-paved the roads in Waldo yet? I love the 75th Street Brewery...Muddy Mo' and Opossum Trot.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Waldo is a pretty nice little area, very convenient for those that live near or around it. Has some great restaraunts, Waldo Pizza, Tanners, Taj Mahal, Cafe Apanaire (French bakery), 75th Street Brewery, McLains bakery (incredible chocolate icing cookies). A nice neighborhood feel, kiind of an extension and close of the Brookside area in my eyes.

Alexi
are we spinning free?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

How did it get that name?

Post by FangKC »

How did that area come to be known as Waldo? I know there was a streetcar station called that, but was that before the neighborhood developed, or was the train station called that because the area already had that name. I remember seeing TV ads for the old Waldo Astoria dinner theater when I was a kid in NW Missouri.
There is no fifth destination.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Waldo is a great neighborhood, I almost bought a house there. It is very stable. The post-WWII housing stock has been mostly well-maintained, and there is now a generational turnover with many young families and singles moving in and modernizing the houses. It has a great mix of businesses, services, restaurants, churches, etc. It's one of the most reasonably-priced and safest close-in neighborhoods, yet it's surrounded by Brookside, Ward Parkway, Joco, etc.

The school district really doesn't hurt the neighborhood that much. There are still many families with young children, some in the public schools and some in parochial or private schools. Plus, south of 85th Street is generally in the Center School District, not the KCMSD.
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: How did it get that name?

Post by scooterj »

FangKC wrote:How did that area come to be known as Waldo? I know there was a streetcar station called that, but was that before the neighborhood developed, or was the train station called that because the area already had that name. I remember seeing TV ads for the old Waldo Astoria dinner theater when I was a kid in NW Missouri.
I always got the impression from old maps that Waldo developed as a separate town that KC eventually overtook, much like Westport. Could be wrong.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How did it get that name?

Post by dangerboy »

FangKC wrote:How did that area come to be known as Waldo? I know there was a streetcar station called that, but was that before the neighborhood developed, or was the train station called that because the area already had that name. I remember seeing TV ads for the old Waldo Astoria dinner theater when I was a kid in NW Missouri.
I believe the area was named for the man that owned the land where Waldo was built. When the neighborhood was originally developed it was unincorporated, then eventually annexed as the city spread southward. This explains at least one quirk - no sidwalks, because there wasn't a city to require them until after the fact.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Waldo's website talks about the history...

http://www.waldokc.org/historyofwaldo.html
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

All I know is that I made a ton of money on my first home purchase there, (relatively speaking ;)).

Great area for young couples without kids our with young kids. But the homes are small and schools suck. We tried to buy in Brookside but couldn't afford that and private schools. So here we are in the outer burbs.

Anyway, Waldo is a great area and I would recomend it to anyone wanting to buy a first home.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I like Waldo a lot. It's an island of urbanity in a sea of suburbs. 75th St Brewery is one of my favorite places in town to eat. They just came out with their Christmas Beer, which, in my opinion, is one of the best available anywhere.