Hawthorne Plaza

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KanzaSphinx
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Hawthorne Plaza

Post by KanzaSphinx »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:55 am A large section of brick has been removed on the south side of the Hawthorne Plaza building in what I assume is major facade replacement work due to water damage.

Unfortunately that isn't a sign of any progress, that section has been like that for at least a few years (moved out of South Hyde Park about 2 years ago and it was like that then)
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

I believe it has looked that was for a very long time. I wonder how well they will be able to match the brick when they repair that wall.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Midtownkid wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:35 am I believe it has looked that was for a very long time. I wonder how well they will be able to match the brick when they repair that wall.
Could just say screw it, replace it with something else and paint a mural? It would be nicer looking with matching brick but that's a LOT of matching brick to find.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

That building already has lots of different brick colors mixed in. You can see the back section is much darker. I would replace that entire section instead of trying to perfectly match but focus on uniformity for the front facade.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Has this project been started yet? If not, any ideas on when? Seems like a critical project for the Midtown area.
KCMOJoe89
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

Highlander wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:56 pm Has this project been started yet? If not, any ideas on when? Seems like a critical project for the Midtown area.
Just from my observation on a recent trip to CVS, this project seems well underway. Also, the lot to the north of this property has construction fencing up.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Yea a lot of work going on here. You can see the parts on the side of the building that we’re missing brick has metal framing and now insulation installed. Construction fences also around the empty lots to the north as well.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

SO glad this project is happening. Such a great facade and (potentially) a great intersection.

I hope more renovation/restoration is coming soon for this area. #1 on the list is the old Harling's building. My top favorite deco building in midtown.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I didn't realize that the deco building where Harlings was located was where H&R Block started until someone posted something about it on Facebook after Henry Bloch died.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Speaking of H&R Block, did they vacate the space on 39th and Main next to the Hawthorne? Someone might have already stated this, so apologies if that is the case.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

atticus23 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:49 am Speaking of H&R Block, did they vacate the space on 39th and Main next to the Hawthorne? Someone might have already stated this, so apologies if that is the case.
I would imagine so--they have an office around 41st and Main, IIRC.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Yes, they are no longer there.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

atticus23 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:49 am Speaking of H&R Block, did they vacate the space on 39th and Main next to the Hawthorne? Someone might have already stated this, so apologies if that is the case.
I saw someone looking at that space today. I can’t imagine it will be available long.
KCMOJoe89
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

The Exact Partners website has the Monarch building as a planned hotel as opposed to the originally reported condos, so I'm guessing the plans after the Netherland are still pretty fluid. They list the apartments at the Netherland as having "hotel-like amenities" so seems to be the plan right now.

I'm still confused on what the plans are for the surface lot...
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

I might be biased as I drive by this building everyday, but it has to be my favorite project in the city right now. I've looked at this building for years and thought how beautiful and sad it was to see it underused and now with all of the action that is taking place it makes my heart happy!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Are they really going to have huge stucco patches on the side of this building where the brick fell off or is that just a sealing material that will be covered with brick to match the original?
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:55 pm Are they really going to have huge stucco patches on the side of this building where the brick fell off or is that just a sealing material that will be covered with brick to match the original?
Looks final to me...but can't tell. If anything they may glue 'thin brick' to it. Doubt it.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Midtownkid wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:46 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:55 pm Are they really going to have huge stucco patches on the side of this building where the brick fell off or is that just a sealing material that will be covered with brick to match the original?
Looks final to me...but can't tell. If anything they may glue 'thin brick' to it. Doubt it.
Did they get historic tax credits for it? I’d be fine with brick veneer made to match. Currently, looks really bad.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Yeah, the stucco looks final to me.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Agreed.