Brookside

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Brookside

Post by chingon »

rxlexi wrote:
it's also much more walkable to amenities and services than our prior location (south hyde park)
trying not to derail the conversation about BKS, but this statement is such a perfect example of how far Hyde Park, specifically, is from functioning as a truly desirable urban neighborhood. Without any retail in or near (Troost) it's boundaries, it's a little island of fine old homes but not really a great destination "neighborhood".
When we moved to Waldo 10 years ago, this was our primary reason for leaving the urban core. My wife was quite averse to living south of Brush Creek, and we looked long and hard at Hyde Park, but just couldn't leave Northeast for what was essentially the same situation: gorgeous houses with few comfortably walkable neighborhood amenities.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Perhaps there have been few walkable amnenities in the past because there is a fear of walking in the neighborhood. I've had several people state that they only want to live in Brookside because they want to feel safe to go on a walk. I've also heard several friends in Midtown asked by others, "is it safe?". I've always wondered if this was some ingrained fear, either based on history or social demographics. Either way, I hope it's changing.
Last edited by beautyfromashes on Mon May 22, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I feel like Midtown is very safe in terms of walking, I walk my dog at midnight a lot without any issues at all.

I think the thing I think that hurts midtown walkability are the Major North/South Roads cutting thru it. At almost any stretch of them they act as basically a freeway, SW Trafficway is the worst of the 4 and its unwalkable from start to finish, Main Street is not great for many stretches, Broadway (Unwalkable in Penn Valley Park) and Troost are probably most walked and have the most potential but they are not ideal.

I feel like once you are entering Brookside, everything has a very calming traffic effect and it makes it very walkable and you really only have 1 major N/S and one Major E/W but they are a joke compared to what you have to deal with in Midtown, I would feel 100 times more comfortable walking right on Brookside Blvd vs Main Street from 31st to 45th. The funny thing is that Wornall feels unwalkable/freeway-like after 75th.

I think we need to put Focus on not making midtown basically a Thruway/Expressway for Plaza/Waldo/Brookside/Golden Triangle folks. It would be nice to cut Main Street down to 2 lanes and make that a bike only lane or SW Trafficway down to 2 lanes. Once we get road diets, Midtown is super walkable, i just don't know if it will happen.
mykn

Post by mykn »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I feel like Midtown is very safe in terms of walking, I walk my dog at midnight a lot without any issues at all.

I think the thing I think that hurts midtown walkability are the Major North/South Roads cutting thru it. At almost any stretch of them they act as basically a freeway, SW Trafficway is the worst of the 4 and its unwalkable from start to finish, Main Street is not great for many stretches, Broadway (Unwalkable in Penn Valley Park) and Troost are probably most walked and have the most potential but they are not ideal.

I feel like once you are entering Brookside, everything has a very calming traffic effect and it makes it very walkable and you really only have 1 major N/S and one Major E/W but they are a joke compared to what you have to deal with in Midtown, I would feel 100 times more comfortable walking right on Brookside Blvd vs Main Street from 31st to 45th. The funny thing is that Wornall feels unwalkable/freeway-like after 75th.

I think we need to put Focus on not making midtown basically a Thruway/Expressway for Plaza/Waldo/Brookside/Golden Triangle folks. It would be nice to cut Main Street down to 2 lanes and make that a bike only lane or SW Trafficway down to 2 lanes. Once we get road diets, Midtown is super walkable, i just don't know if it will happen.
100% on this. Midtown is walk able as long as you stick to your North - South section, once you have to cross it becomes very unfriendly.

On the plus side, I've heard that the city is making 31st to 39th, Gillham to Broadway (essentially, OHP) a major priority to getting walkability improvements made before the streetcar comes through. There's some very very very early work being done on a walkability study that would point to the major areas of improvements.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mgh7676 wrote:I have heard a new restaurant will be announced for the Julian space soon. It will fill a niche that isn't currently in BKS. Also, a pizza/taproom will be opening adjacent to Brookside wine and spirits on 63rd as a sister business to the liquor store.
1. Any more info on the operation taking over the Julian space? What kind of niche?
2. The BKS wine and spirits project sounds interesting but surely cannot share that tiny building? Is the plan to expand the building, or are you saying "adjacent" meaning "a separate building nearby."
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

rxlexi wrote:Northeast has the same problem, and then some.
Depends on where you are, but I would argue that in general northeast actually fares a bit better. Not much, but you've got little dive bars, little markets and butcher shops and whatnot here and there. Eleos coffe. Lots of fast food. Far from ideal from a walkability perspective, but not quite the almost complete desert of Troost. Though to be fair, "northeast" is around the size of the entire central corridor from river market to around 39th street or so, not really a fair comparison.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

1. A local street taco joint. Not set in stone yet.
2. I believe they are planning on expanding the building west.
chrizow wrote:
mgh7676 wrote:I have heard a new restaurant will be announced for the Julian space soon. It will fill a niche that isn't currently in BKS. Also, a pizza/taproom will be opening adjacent to Brookside wine and spirits on 63rd as a sister business to the liquor store.
1. Any more info on the operation taking over the Julian space? What kind of niche?
2. The BKS wine and spirits project sounds interesting but surely cannot share that tiny building? Is the plan to expand the building, or are you saying "adjacent" meaning "a separate building nearby."
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mean wrote:
Depends on where you are, but I would argue that in general northeast actually fares a bit better. Not much, but you've got little dive bars
what bars are still open in Northeast?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

chrizow wrote:
mean wrote:
Depends on where you are, but I would argue that in general northeast actually fares a bit better. Not much, but you've got little dive bars
what bars are still open in Northeast?
I think the following are still open, but it's been a while for me...

Karen's Kozy Cabin
Jay's Bigger Jigger
The Askew Inn
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Karen's Kozy Cabin closed. I think a thrift shop operates in the building now.

Jay's Bigger Jigger is called Las Plebes now.

You forgot about Teri's Bigger Jigger at St. John and Belmont, which is still open.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I think most have been covered. Gladstone is gone too, sadly. Gates has a full bar. Oliver's is still open as far as I can tell. And of course there's the "venerable" Shady Lady.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

what is Oliver's?

Is GOLD BAR still open?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Baccala
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Oh yeah, forgot about Baccala.

Oliver's is a restaurant / bar / grocer adjacent to the Gates Complex, which I've always assumed was owned by the Gates people and named after the reigning patriarch, but I have no idea if that's true.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Church across the street owned that building and is building a new event space. I assume for meetings and events.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

The old Brookside YMCA?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

St. Andrews across the street owns it. They are building a new community center.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mgh7676 wrote:1. A local street taco joint.
KC Star reporting that the Julian space will be home to "Brookside Barrio" - a Mexican concept from the folks behind Sol Cantina and Zocalo.

:-|