Historic Union Hill apartment buildings being torn down

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Historic Union Hill apartment buildings being torn down

Post by KCMax »

Two more historic apartment buildings being demolished at Taxpayer Expense
These two buildings have been run down for awhile and been a haven for a host of nefarious activities. However, it seems like such a shame to use tax money to a) destroy historic buildings and b) to remove density from our downtown area (and Union Hill is officially in the "downtown" via the Downtown Council's definition).

Thoughts? Worth keeping or doze for new housing?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Historic Union Hill apartment buildings being torn down

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Where is it exact location?  If these are in Union Hill between 31st and Linwood then i would say yes tear them down, that area is kind of trashy to begin with, but if it's in the actual union hill between 31st and 28th, then no because I use to live in this area and every apartment was nice
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

what new housing?  Union Hill is absolutely covered in vacant lots as is, especially along 31st.  Find a way to keep.  Seal up and wait, if necessary.  This city can't afford to lose more already rare, quality urban fabric.
are we spinning free?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

that sucks.  i thought they were going to rehab the apartments.  those are great buildings and, from the exterior at least, seem to be in fine shape.  

i hate to see them go, and i only pray that the single family homes replacing them are decent.  i would imagine that it wouldn't be too hard to blend in with the townhome neighborhood just across 30th street, but it sucks to see dense housing, near transit, taken away for a couple of homes.  

glad those terrible 1960s apartments are finally going to be demolished though.  hideous.
brewcrew1000 wrote: Where is it exact location?  If these are in Union Hill between 31st and Linwood then i would say yes tear them down, that area is kind of trashy to begin with, but if it's in the actual union hill between 31st and 28th, then no because I use to live in this area and every apartment was nice
yes, the brick bldg pictured is at the corner of 30th and grand.  i disagree about the area between 31st and linwood though.  it's sketchy but totally fine -  my wife used to live there, and my sister in law still lives in there and it's a good area.  they deserve their historic apartment bldgs too...
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I was told back in the 80's union hill was kind of nasty and sketchy.  KCPD even had some kind of drug training house on the corner of 30th and Oak
chrizow wrote:
yes, the brick bldg pictured is at the corner of 30th and grand.  i disagree about the area between 31st and linwood though.  it's sketchy but totally fine -  my wife used to live there, and my sister in law still lives in there and it's a good area.  they deserve their historic apartment bldgs too...
That area is nice with lots of nice homes but i think the Linwood Superfoods and the smokeshop attached to fireburger kind of make that area crappy.  I guess bums need a place to drink and smoke crack.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I hate to see them demolished, but if you don't have anyone willing to renovate them in an area like Union Hill, then it's hard to preserve them.

I'm guessing the neighbors there hate that building and want it removed because of its' history.

As far as the Linwood/Main apartments go (east of Gates BBQ), I'd like to see those renovated.  I've thought the best thing to do would be to tear down the super mart and Chinese takeout restaurant, and old houses, to the east and build some new apartments with parking underneath for all.

If we ever get a streetcar line from downtown to the Plaza, this location would be a good one to redevelop into apartments.

There is no fifth destination.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

About a year ago I saw plans/photos for renovating the building just east of Gates into condos - they looked incredible.  Yesterday I saw a man carrying Home Depot bags walk into one and now I wonder if some renovation has started?

I had always thought the housing stock between Linwood and 31st would benefit from the tax breaks or whatever plans were negotiated for the Glover Plan, but nothing visible seems to have happened.  Maybe all the money is spent removing Gate BBQ fumes from the homes...
midtown guy
New York Life
New York Life

Post by midtown guy »

FangKC wrote: .

The building to the west has been renovated for a year or two. But the building on the east side remains mostly boarded up. That whole stretch of Lindwood is such a mess of suburban type buildings that completely don't fit into an urban landscape...but I honestly don't see it changing in my lifetime.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

FangKC wrote:
As far as the Linwood/Main apartments go (east of Gates BBQ), I'd like to see those renovated.  I've thought the best thing to do would be to tear down the super mart and Chinese takeout restaurant, and old houses, to the east and build some new apartments with parking underneath for all.

That whole north stretch just needs to be wiped clean, from the 7-11 all the way to those apartments.  It's skidrow, I always see drug deals going down, crackheads, immigrant workers and homeless camping up near those apartments.  

You would think costco or home depot would want to demolish those houses you look at while sitting at that light on linwood leaving home depot and costco, it looks like such an eyesore.

Also, there is a large building on Oak behind the Berbigula, this would be perfect for one of those urban Target or Walmarts.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'd like to see the Costco and Home Depot torn down.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
midtown guy
New York Life
New York Life

Post by midtown guy »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Also, there is a large building on Oak behind the Berbigula, this would be perfect for one of those urban Target or Walmarts.
With that location by Union Hill, Longfellow, Hyde Park and near all the new Union Hill Apartments/Cadillac building I think it'd be perfect for a small urban grocery store.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

maybe not the appropriate place, but...I can't believe Union Hill/31st St. hasn't taken off to a much greater degree.  Cool housing (with high home values in the "renovated" central area), great location and views, plenty of open land to build on, a fairly well-known small nightlife hub to build on, a huge old performance space to potentially serve as a neighorhood draw (El Torreon).  

I feel like in many other cities this area would be well on it's way to greatness, but Union Hill/Martini Corner has just kind of been sitting there for a while, particularly as it relates to retail on 31st...
are we spinning free?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

^ Totally agree, just don't think the density is there to support more.  On the weekdays after happy hour, it gets pretty quiet.  I always thought a pizza place would do well over here, you could serve late night for the bar crowd.  I'm suprised food trucks or hot dog vendors don't go over here on the weekends. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

also somewhat unrelated, but i have heard of plans for a rather elaborate farmer's market type operation on an empty lot right near the gillham row/cadillac bldg development.  the land has been donated for the cause, TMC and others are likely chipping in, etc.  right now it is just a nascent community garden but i have seen very impressive renderings for a more permanent market, network of walking/bike trails, etc.  the longfellow neighborhood and some othe groups i forget are working on it.  it is technically in longfellow, but right near 30th/Gillham so it's relevant to union hill...
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I think the large building brewcrew is talking about is returning to light industrial use; there was an article in the paper today re: midland metals expanding into a space at 32xx Gillham Plaza, which I believe may be that building (just west of El Torreon). 
are we spinning free?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

rxlexi wrote:   I think the large building brewcrew is talking about is returning to light industrial use; there was an article in the paper today re: midland metals expanding into a space at 32xx Gillham Plaza, which I believe may be that building (just west of El Torreon). 
I noticed they were doing something with the building the other day (Removing large metal tanks or something)

Great news though
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/06/21/29 ... -jobs.html
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

rxlexi wrote:  maybe not the appropriate place, but...I can't believe Union Hill/31st St. hasn't taken off to a much greater degree.  Cool housing (with high home values in the "renovated" central area), great location and views, plenty of open land to build on, a fairly well-known small nightlife hub to build on, a huge old performance space to potentially serve as a neighorhood draw (El Torreon).  

I feel like in many other cities this area would be well on it's way to greatness, but Union Hill/Martini Corner has just kind of been sitting there for a while, particularly as it relates to retail on 31st...
Totally agree. From what I understand there are a lot of landowners sitting on land waiting for another real estate boom, unwilling to sell to developers now.

taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

KCMax wrote: Totally agree. From what I understand there are a lot of landowners sitting on land waiting for another real estate boom, unwilling to sell to developers now.
I am afraid you do not understand. Landowners are sitting on land because no one will buy it because no bank will loan to develop it. It is not their strategy. If you can find even one landowner in KC who is unwilling to sell, I will give you a gold star.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

taxi wrote: I am afraid you do not understand. Landowners are sitting on land because no one will buy it because no bank will loan to develop it. It is not their strategy. If you can find even one landowner in KC who is unwilling to sell, I will give you a gold star.
You may be right in general now, but back at the end of the real estate boom when offers were still coming in and banks were still financing, I know of at least one developer that wanted to develop some parcels but found the landowner unwilling to sell, hoping the market would bounce back.

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I find that many landowner way over value what they have.  There really isn't any neighborhoods in KC (maybe plaza) that warrant a high value without already having had significant improvements made to it (building/housing renovation).  They see other cities that have a dense urban vibrancy where that is possible and assume it should apply to them since they're in or close to the core. Then they see some development going on around them and they automatically inflate their asking price even though all they have is a barren strip of land or random dilapidated house...but in reality there just isn't a neighborhood where I feel that's  justified here.  

So, it seems to me like most land/home/building owners are willing to sell, but completely unrealistic about what they have...