Beacon Hill

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Beacon Hill

Post by chaglang »

^Agreed. Regarding materials, there are way more have traditionally been used here than just brick and stone. Clapboard, wood shingle, and stucco are all very common in the surrounding areas to the east. They do look a little ski lodge, but there are also several original houses in the 2700-3000 blocks of Paseo that have that same alpine look. Beacon Hill actually has a pretty interesting stock of old houses.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

Those are single family homes, not flats. Here is the area plan:

http://www.beaconhillkansascity.com/ima ... %20Map.pdf
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Thanks for posting the site plan Gretz.

Well, disappointed to find that those are all single family homes. So BIG, why not make some of them flats? It would be nice if there was more of a mix of houses and apartments among the new structures being built on the north, south streets.

Either way though this is all really nice work. I'm so happy that this giant field in the center of the city is finally getting rebuilt upon. Also love to see that the old building on the SW corner of 27th and Troost is a part of the plan. I want to see this building renovated.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Demosthenes wrote:Thanks for posting the site plan Gretz.

Well, disappointed to find that those are all single family homes. So BIG, why not make some of them flats? It would be nice if there was more of a mix of houses and apartments among the new structures being built on the north, south streets.

Either way though this is all really nice work. I'm so happy that this giant field in the center of the city is finally getting rebuilt upon. Also love to see that the old building on the SW corner of 27th and Troost is a part of the plan. I want to see this building renovated.
That building at 27th and Troost has lovely terra cotta.

This plan does need apartments somewhere. The Troost Corridor plan that came out in September recommended changing stretches of the avenue from commercial to residential. Right now Troost simply doesn't have the population to support even the "Commercial TBD" area on that plan. Maybe some of that turns into apartments or mixed use.

I do like that, for the size of those houses, they go up rather than out. There are going to be people moving to the city who want big houses, and if they can be attracted by something that fits on a city lot, that's a good thing.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

There will be at least 5 apartment buildings along 27th, where it says colonnades. There is only one standing there now, without its porches. (they have been ripped off). It is going to be restored and they are going to build 4 more east of it...not exactly a copy, but similar, each with 6 porches on the front. Great project! (i'm working on them)
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Midtownkid wrote:There will be at least 5 apartment buildings along 27th, where it says colonnades. There is only one standing there now, without its porches. (they have been ripped off). It is going to be restored and they are going to build 4 more east of it...not exactly a copy, but similar, each with 6 porches on the front. Great project! (i'm working on them)
Very cool! Glad to see new buildings that have the front porches going up. I love the way they look and their historical context in the area.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Midtownkid wrote:...not exactly a copy, but similar, each with 6 porches on the front. Great project! (i'm working on them)
Modern colonades are my pipe dream infill default setting.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Fill every empty lot south of the river with a KC original collonade and we will have a metropolis of a million.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Midtownkid wrote:There will be at least 5 apartment buildings along 27th, where it says colonnades. There is only one standing there now, without its porches. (they have been ripped off). It is going to be restored and they are going to build 4 more east of it...not exactly a copy, but similar, each with 6 porches on the front. Great project! (i'm working on them)
Awesome MidtownKid. You have to keep us all updated on this project since you have such a unique view of it. It truly is a great project, and just another example of this city coming back strong. I'm quite curious to see what these colonnades will look like.

So question, in what manner are you working on this project?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Well, I will share what I am able to. The plan is for the bricks to come from the school that was torn down at highway 71 and 39th street. Was a beautiful building, glad they are were able to at least save the bricks. I was really surprised when the guy at Green Leaf mentioned that...pretty progressive!
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Midtownkid wrote:Well, I will share what I am able to. The plan is for the bricks to come from the school that was torn down at highway 71 and 39th street. Was a beautiful building, glad they are were able to at least save the bricks. I was really surprised when the guy at Green Leaf mentioned that...pretty progressive!
Wow, that is very cool! I love the look of used brick. Just checked out a photo of Horace Mann and that brick looks really, really good. It has that deep red color. I really can't stand new, light colored brick that is so common.

I am sure these apartments will turn out great knowing that everyone involved knows what they are doing and actually care.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The empty convenience store (last a Chinese Restaurant) on the SE corner of 27th and Troost was demolished yesterday.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Midtownkid wrote:Well, I will share what I am able to. The plan is for the bricks to come from the school that was torn down at highway 71 and 39th street. Was a beautiful building, glad they are were able to at least save the bricks. I was really surprised when the guy at Green Leaf mentioned that...pretty progressive!
That was the Horace Mann school -- southwestern-most feeder school into Central High. I had no idea it was gone. Several prominent KC industrialists attended Horace Mann.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

herrfrank wrote:
That was the Horace Mann school -- southwestern-most feeder school into Central High. I had no idea it was gone. Several prominent KC industrialists attended Horace Mann.
It burned spectacularly in 2010 or 2011.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

A better photo of one of the new houses on Beacon Hill.

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Looks like a camp bunkhouse where I stayed as a kid.
Zorobabel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Zorobabel »

I think the style is pretty cool.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

I enjoy these homes as they remind me of a contemporary take on the Craftsman or Prairie School styles. They also breathe a new life/freshness into the surrounding neighborhood.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

New photos taken yesterday on Beacon Hill.

New UMKC apartments on the east side of Troost.

New homes on the east side of Forest north of 24th Street.

New homes on the west side of Forest north of 24th Street.

Foundations being poured for two new homes on the NW corner of E. 26th and Tracy.

Two of the vacant apartment buildings between Tracy and Paseo have been demolished, and only one remains.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I drove by this area. Very impressive project. The homes actually fit in well to the styles of what remains despite being modern. I expected them to stick out and they really didn't.

I don't believe I ever hit the area between 31st and 27th, Troost to Gillham before and there's some really nice housing in there. Very impressive how well it's kept up.

The Troost corridor will no doubt benefit hugely. I was amazed how many empty lots there are around 27th for being right next to the medical complex