Uptown Shoppes

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Uptown Shoppes

Post by taxi »

I'd bet he's too busy pouring over the recently released JFK files.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I don't understand why Papa Murphy's closed, it always seemed busy when I went in. It was a great business for midtown, sad to see it gone. Maybe rents skyrocketed or something.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The whole thing just needs to be razed and redeveloped.

Wasn't there talk a while back about apartments going on the west end of the "shoppes"? I'm guessing that's dead.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

I really hate this place, it holds the entire area back. Probably more than the plasma place. Unfortunately, the owner just uses it as a parking lot for the Uptown Theater, so it isn't going away anytime soon.They could tear it down and build a parking garage, then build apartments and retail around it, but they would be giving up some parking during construction. That probably won't happen while the owner of the Uptown Theater also owns the Uptown Shoppes.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

When does that redevelopment district expire? Sells sucks up tax funding on Broadway from Linwood to Westport Rd and can’t even keep his own places filled. One of the biggest ‘development’ shams in this city and no one ever calls him on it.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Sells' development agreement with the LCRA expires in the spring. He will be telling the LCRA that he needs more time to complete his project. Other developers have lined with interest in the property. Hopefully the LCRA will request proposals from all comers.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

town cow wrote:Sells' development agreement with the LCRA expires in the spring. He will be telling the LCRA that he needs more time to complete his project. Other developers have lined with interest in the property. Hopefully the LCRA will request proposals from all comers.
Best news I’ve heard in a long time. Will there be an opportunity for community input? It’s not like development hasn’t happened in the district. The old Blockbuster was fully rented a month after it was closed with four new tenants. Same with the iPho Tower building, Monarch, etc. He’s had decades and lots of money given to him and we have little to show for our cities investment.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

I skimmed through the LCRA meeting minutes and found some interesting tidbits:

That was in 2015. Looks like LCRA considered taking back the property because of low occupancy back then, and I don't think it has gotten better since. I think that it is required to stay above 75%. It's definitely not above that now.

February 2016.

March 2016. Since MAC was specifically mentioned, they are probably the most serious potential buyers, and they would want to add residential. I would imagine that if they bought the Uptown Shoppes, they would want to get their hands on the Knickerbocker Apartments as well.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It would be surprising if MAC ever bought the Uptown Shops for a remodel. Unless it comes attached to residential, they tend not to do commercial projects. If they did buy the shops, I'd guess it would be to tear them down and build new residential there. But with 5 new buildings planned on Armour, their dance card may be full for the next few years.

It would also be surprising if MAC hadn't already tried to by the Knicks from KC Life.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

Sells used the term remodel, but I think any redevelopment on that site would require a teardown of the existing structure and a rebuild with residential. I don't think that anything short of that would ever make this site work.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

But, Sells is taking in ALL of the sales tax monies for all of Broadway from almost Linwood to Westport Rd. With recent developments along that stretch, that should be a significant amount of funds. Where is it going? When does the TIF expire? It can’t be in place forever. Close the TIF or designate those funds to individual projects instead of just ONE property.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Unfortunately, I doubt the neighbors would be eager to have denser development given the outcry for newer projects in Westport. If no one's complaining, then nothing's going to happen quickly.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

kcjak wrote:Unfortunately, I doubt the neighbors would be eager to have denser development given the outcry for newer projects in Westport. If no one's complaining, then nothing's going to happen quickly.
Great point. Those shops are in Valentine, right?
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

chaglang wrote:
kcjak wrote:Unfortunately, I doubt the neighbors would be eager to have denser development given the outcry for newer projects in Westport. If no one's complaining, then nothing's going to happen quickly.
Great point. Those shops are in Valentine, right?
Yep. Used to be called the Valentine Shopping Center, I believe.

I think it would come down to how much parking is included. Parking in the neighborhood is pretty scarce whenever the theater is sold out, and if something was built on this site, it would have to include a lot of parking anyway. If it made the parking situation better at those peak times, it might get more neighborhood approval. I feel like a lot of the Nopus crowd was actually concerned with parking near restaurants, shops, and bars more than residential parking. That won't be an issue with Uptown, because of the garage that would be necessary for the theater.

Plus, people have strong feelings about Westport and feel it shouldn't change; no one cares much about the part of Valentine on Broadway.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

Also, if they put a row of townhomes on the Pennsylvania side that would ease people's minds. They could probably make it as dense as they want to on the Broadway side.

Edit: easing people's minds may be the wrong phrase. More palatable?
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Totally agree about having a row of townhomes along Penn. That, coupled with locating a garage entry on axis with a lighted Broadway/36th St intersection, could do a lot for easing neighborhood concerns.

By my estimate, you could easily fit an apartment/retail complex like 51Main on the east half of the site, 6-10 townhomes on the west edge and still have land left over.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Plans to convert to mixed use with 4 story apts. Whatever goes there, am hoping they do streetfront retail.
A partnership involving Lawrence developer Doug Compton has a contract to buy the Uptown Shoppes and plans to spend up to $45 million turning the shopping center into a mixed-use property.

"The general plan is to do a four-story apartment complex on top (of the 85,000-square-foot shopping center) and possibly a hotel on a pad site," said Bill Fleming, general counsel for the architecture firm TreanorHL and Compton's partner in the Uptown Shoppes deal.

Fleming cautioned that the Uptown Shoppes deal is still "very preliminary."

"We have to work with (the LCRA) to get title to the property," he said. "We've not filed any plans yet. And we've just started the process of penciling things out."
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... oppes.html
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Is this when HKC shows up and tries to preserve the shopping center?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

chaglang wrote:Is this when HKC shows up and tries to preserve the shopping center?
I could actually see them showing up to fight the parking issues
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
chaglang wrote:Is this when HKC shows up and tries to preserve the shopping center?
I could actually see them showing up to fight the parking issues
Me too. "On-street parking is just developers stealing our streets", according to one member of that organization.