Uptown Shoppes

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
mykn

Re: Uptown Shoppes

Post by mykn »

Interesting choice of making the parking garage jut out of the front like that, it almost looks like that's supposed to be the back of the building. Totally agree, they need to bring the building to broadway sidewalk and have a storefront there.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Wow, that article was terribly written. Staff cuts at the Star.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

If the city controls the parcel and the shops are mostly vacant, why not demolish and start over? That retail is never going to be hopping because it doesn't address the street in an otherwise walkable neighborhood.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Dumb question: Will this effect TheGYMKC in the back of the building? The middle of the weight room is an open atrium that goes the height of the current building.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

smh wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:23 am If the city controls the parcel and the shops are mostly vacant, why not demolish and start over? That retail is never going to be hopping because it doesn't address the street in an otherwise walkable neighborhood.

I've seen similar strip malls in other cities converted w/out tearing down. One was like this, they built a 4-5 level garage in the lot with a Trader Joe's and other retail at the base and walkway around the garage through the retail on both sides. It effectively urbanized the block and was street friendly as well. The 'hidden' retail had tasteful signage on the garage facing street corner.

A hotel along Broadway will be fine (if done right) but they could improve the retail corner facing Broadway. But I suspect the hotel may just be bait and not actually occur unless market studies strongly favor for that location.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

earthling wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:35 am
smh wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:23 am If the city controls the parcel and the shops are mostly vacant, why not demolish and start over? That retail is never going to be hopping because it doesn't address the street in an otherwise walkable neighborhood.
A hotel along Broadway will be fine (if done right) but they could improve the retail corner facing Broadway. But I suspect the hotel may just be bait and not actually occur unless market studies strongly favor for that location.
This would be my bet. What we end up with is a still-floundering retail center with quickly decaying apartments on top.

...I think I need my coffee.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Last edited by chaglang on Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chaglang wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:57 am After the Home2 Suites mess, this is design cannot come as a surprise to anyone.
If Jason and Co. thought 20th Street was dangerous (their justification for the design) imagine how they must feel about Broadway. :roll:
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

What are they supposed to do if they insist on repurposing that garbage building and its 1960's suburban layout?

I think a knockdown and rebuild makes the most sense, but it's not my money. At least this is an improvement.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If the city is controlling this though why let them off with a half assed redevelopment? Give it to someone who will do it right.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Would be interesting to know what the cost difference would be between this and doing it right.

I assume money/cheapness is at the heart of any decision with the city and Sells involved.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

So happy to see Sells interest reduced here, and the overall site plan seems reasonable. But the design is a little schlocky. All the colors and hats.

This project really needs a TJs, Sprouts or other mid-size grocer as primary tenant. Would seem to be the only real reason to keep the existing strip mall - the space and parking is already there. With a couple of decent small tenants and a unique hotel this would really be an anchor for midtown with all of the other nearby progress.
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

Great American Bank at 39th and Main is supposedly moving into the vacant bank space. They would utilize the drive-thru, which would explain why the building doesn't come out to the Broadway sidewalk.

Also, new-build construction is probably $250+/sf. That wouldn't take into account the cost to tear down the center. Renovating the existing space can vary, but you can typically estimate $75-100/sf in costs. Assuming you'd lease the retail spaces out for $15/sf per year, which may be a little high, it would take at least 10 years to pay off the extra cost (~$150/sf) of new construction. That's why this center isn't being scraped...
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

I should add, I would prefer that it fronted Broadway, but that's just how it goes sometimes.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I guess you really can put a price on proper interaction with a sidewalk.

Thanks for the info tskev.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

The Star article now has a new rendering that is superimposed onto a streetview image that I can't be bothered to post. I think this is about as good as we are going to get, since the Uptown has to retain most of its parking during construction. I agree that the hotel is likely vaporware.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Folks on my neighborhood association FB page think it's ridiculous to build a mixed use development like this because they are floundering in places like Austin and on the coasts, leaving 'empty hulls in these luxury developments that nobody can afford to fill.' Other comments were about how the city is offering tax breaks but no affordable housing.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kcjak wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:54 pm Folks on my neighborhood association FB page think it's ridiculous to build a mixed use development like this because they are floundering in places like Austin and on the coasts, leaving 'empty hulls in these luxury developments that nobody can afford to fill.' Other comments were about how the city is offering tax breaks but no affordable housing.
Wait can I move to Austin and take over one of these husks? Or maybe Portland? Are these options?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:16 am Wow, that article was terribly written. Staff cuts at the Star.
They mostly just tweet stuff now and call it good.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

chingon wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:45 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:16 am Wow, that article was terribly written. Staff cuts at the Star.
They mostly just tweet stuff now and call it good.
And then retweet each other and talk about how important local journalism is and how lucky we are to have them.