Uptown Shoppes

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Uptown Shoppes

Post by Riverite »

As in we should only give tax breaks to companies providing support for positive externalities? Like if they are providing below market rents for lower income, or providing a more walkable environrmennt? Not to people who are providing nothing and just trying to make more money? Make those people oblige the ultra capitalist system they espouse?

Ugh commies
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Yes, i believe we should have land value tax policies, they do this in cities in PA

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/cities ... vation-lab
https://blogs.ubc.ca/rosonluo/2013/04/0 ... on-policy/
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Letters sent out to those in the Uptown Broadway TIF for a vote to close the TIF and move the funds to the general fund.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It looks like things are starting to move forward with the redevelopment plan of the Uptown Shoppes. A blight study and an application for rezoning have been submitted.

I don't see any renderings or site plans, but there is a description stating a "mixed use development (211 apt, 92 rooms hotel & 43,00 sq. ft. retail)"
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Core samples were being taken in the back parking lot a week or two ago. IIRC it was New Horizons doing it so I think that means contamination testing.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

If there was ever a dry cleaner in there, that'd do it for the contamination.
capitolwildcat
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by capitolwildcat »

mykn

Post by mykn »

I have a bad feeling about this. Has anyone seen any plans or renderings?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Of Course, they talk about parking
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

mykn wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:46 am I have a bad feeling about this. Has anyone seen any plans or renderings?
I think it's the same plan as what has been discussed previously in this thread - apartments and parking on top of the shops, with boutique hotel in the parking lot. In theory it doesn't sound too bad, but with Larry in charge I don't expect a very good end product. I'd LOVE to be proven wrong.

Should also be time to cue to the Valentine Neighborhood Association and Historic KC protesters.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Agree the plan sounds great on paper, confidence in Larry Sells to pull it off is the challenge. Could end up half-assed, even if selecting an urban minded developer who would build hotel directly up to sidewalk. Anything in that lot would be an improvement but hopefully they do it right and integrate the development as a contiguous pedestrian experience from Uptown Theatre to buildings to the North, not think of the project as an island in itself or prioritize parking.

The small retail mall strip across street needs to go too (Sprint). Put in a big apt building with streetfront retail. Who owns that?
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

Larry Sells is partnering with Doug Compton and the principal of Treanor Architects, both from Lawrence. I don't think Larry really has much control here.

I saw the renderings a few months ago, and they looked pretty good. I'm excited about this. From what I remember, the Shoppes will be 6-7 stories after the parking decks and apartments are added. That's just 2-3 stories shorter than the Ambassador next door. The hotel will be right on the corner across from the Uptown, and be maybe 4 stories? I can't remember exactly.

And the Sprint retail building across the street is owned (at least partially) by Greg Patterson.
mykn

Post by mykn »

tskev wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:16 am From what I remember, the Shoppes will be 6-7 stories after the parking decks and apartments are added. That's just 2-3 stories shorter than the Ambassador next door.
Uh oh, NIMBY time. The streets will never see the sun again!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

tskev wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:16 am The hotel will be right on the corner across from the Uptown, and be maybe 4 stories? I can't remember exactly.
It would be nice if we could get a hotel like the Moonrise in St Louis for this location
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

mykn wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:06 am Uh oh, NIMBY time. The streets will never see the sun again!
The old people love Larry Sells. It’s a match made in hell. I think it’s because he hosts the Westport/Valentine associations and HKC for free at the Uptown.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:34 am
tskev wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:16 am The hotel will be right on the corner across from the Uptown, and be maybe 4 stories? I can't remember exactly.
It would be nice if we could get a hotel like the Moonrise in St Louis for this location
I've done a few Pageant Theater/Moonrise Hotel weekends. It would be great to have that experience here.

The Fox Theater and Georgian Terrace hotel in Atlanta is another good combo of classic theater and cool Hotel. I think the Hotel Indigo is right there too.
mykn

Post by mykn »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:45 am
mykn wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:06 am Uh oh, NIMBY time. The streets will never see the sun again!
The old people love Larry Sells. It’s a match made in hell. I think it’s because he hosts the Westport/Valentine associations and HKC for free at the Uptown.
Good to know!
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

WSPanic wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:08 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:34 am
I've done a few Pageant Theater/Moonrise Hotel weekends. It would be great to have that experience here.

The Fox Theater and Georgian Terrace hotel in Atlanta is another good combo of classic theater and cool Hotel. I think the Hotel Indigo is right there too.
These are good tips!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

This doesn't include potential hotel at corner. Better than expected but doesn't integrate with Broadway sidewalk very well. Would like to see a Sprouts here if not a local market.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 21245.html
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Yeah, the retail portion doesn't seem very inviting. Not my favorite, but I'll take it. A little bummed about a hotel not being included in the initial phase - there isn't much around that area except for that shitty America's Inn on Linwood or the new Motel 6 on Main.

Does it look like they've made the bank space into enclosed parking or just a bad angle in the image? At any rate, I'm glad Larry's influence has been diminished.