Uptown Shoppes

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Uptown Shoppes

Post by earthling »

earthling wrote:Plans to convert to mixed use with 4 story apts. Whatever goes there, am hoping they do streetfront retail.
A partnership involving Lawrence developer Doug Compton has a contract to buy the Uptown Shoppes and plans to spend up to $45 million turning the shopping center into a mixed-use property.

"The general plan is to do a four-story apartment complex on top (of the 85,000-square-foot shopping center) and possibly a hotel on a pad site," said Bill Fleming, general counsel for the architecture firm TreanorHL and Compton's partner in the Uptown Shoppes deal.

Fleming cautioned that the Uptown Shoppes deal is still "very preliminary."

"We have to work with (the LCRA) to get title to the property," he said. "We've not filed any plans yet. And we've just started the process of penciling things out."
brewcrew1000 wrote:
chaglang wrote:Is this when HKC shows up and tries to preserve the shopping center?
I could actually see them showing up to fight the parking issues
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... oppes.html
Unless free bus service can be pulled off, wouldn't mind seeing a TIF free garage built in the lot with streetfront retail and some apts on top. TIF is acceptable if garage is free to public, and the neighborhood should be OK with it if more spots than exists today. Perhaps charge for events at most. But would rather get free fare bus system going.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

This is already in a TIF district. Where would the funds come from?
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

"The general plan is to do a four-story apartment complex on top (of the 85,000-square-foot shopping center) and possibly a hotel on a pad site," said Bill Fleming, general counsel for the architecture firm TreanorHL and Compton's partner in the Uptown Shoppes deal.
This statement makes me very nervous as for the design because it sounds as if they want to maintain the strip mall design by simply stacking apartments on top of it. I fear the project could end up looking something like this project down in Overland Park:

Furthermore, the "pad site hotel" comment makes it also sound as if they might want to stick a "highway" style hotel in the middle of the parking lot, like this...
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

JLowe2018 wrote:This statement makes me very nervous as for the design because it sounds as if they want to maintain the strip mall design by simply stacking apartments on top of it.

Furthermore, the "pad site hotel" comment makes it also sound as if they might want to stick a "highway" style hotel in the middle of the parking lot, like this...
It sure sounds exactly like that. Although they did stress that it was preliminary and perhaps the article was poorly written.

I don't see how they have the egress/security laid out to do residential above the existing building. It's already challenging enough to additions on newer garages.

I would suspect they'll decide a teardown is easier in the end. Doug Compton has done some quality work in lawrence.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Any pics of Lawrence projects? Am concerned too it won't be an urbanized development that integrates with the rest of district at a pedestrian scale.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

http://www.firstconstructionllc.com/res ... jects.html

And this is a residential project being built on top of existing retail in Lawrence. If I remember right, the building was built to absurd tolerances that allows for this. It's not an apples to apples comparison, but he has done it before:

http://www.firstconstructionllc.com/cur ... jects.html
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Thanks, so we know at least they 'get it'...

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

tower wrote:March 2016. Since MAC was specifically mentioned, they are probably the most serious potential buyers, and they would want to add residential. I would imagine that if they bought the Uptown Shoppes, they would want to get their hands on the Knickerbocker Apartments as well.
Whatever happens, any project should include purchase and renovating the Knickerbocker Apartments as part of the deal. Something needs to get done soon with the Knickerbocker building because historic tax credits are being threatened on both the state and federal level. Republicans seem hell-bent on ending these credits.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

The Knickerbocker Apts are owned by KC Life, and are not a part of the LCRA's project. But they are in the PIEA's Ellison/Knickerbocker redevelopment area, and so a developer could come up with a plan that would qualify for a property tax break.

Also, don't believe anything that comes out of Larry Sells' mouth.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Thus why I said the Uptown Shoppes redevelopment should include "purchase and renovating the Knickerbocker Apartments...."

It makes sense to combine the two projects because the Knickerbocker building has sat vacant for too long, and needs to get redeveloped. It would benefit the Uptown Shoppes property ownership to have the KB redeveloped and not sitting vacant adjacent to their property. The Uptown property could also provide off-street parking for KB residents; and management could be shared. In addition, volume purchasing of materials would reduce the costs of adding new apartments on both parcels, since the developer could get a better deal on appliances, cabinets, bathroom fixtures, flooring, furnaces, central air units, plumbing, etc.

It just makes sense to do them at the same time. I'm surprised MAC didn't buy the KB and renovate it when they renovated the Ambassador. Maybe they tried.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It would be surprising if MAC hadn’t tried to buy the Knicks. That project is in their wheelhouse. But has KC Life renovated or sold any of their vacant properties in Valentine? They are the black hole of property management.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

chaglang wrote:It would be surprising if MAC hadn’t tried to buy the Knicks. That project is in their wheelhouse. But has KC Life renovated or sold any of their vacant properties in Valentine? They are the black hole of property management.
Didn't they own the northern part of the school on SW Tfwy that's being redeveloped? Other than that, seems like they've just been sitting on property waiting for the market to get better.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

IIRC they owned some houses north of the school that were demolished. Not sure if that happened as part of the school reno or if it was just KC Life being KC Life.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

It's part of the reno - KC Life had been letting (more likely leasing them) the KCPD and SWAT teams practice drills in the homes for quite a few years.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Baby steps!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I don't get KC Life's strategy holding on to so much adjacent property. Are they planning significant growth that requires more buildings on their campus, and more parking?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

At some point they wanted to build a Corporate Woods office park in Valentine. But now I think they're just speculators and are sitting on the land.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

Someone needs to tell them that isn't how investment works. You can't just sit on large swaths of undeveloped land and dilapidated buildings and expect to get a decent return on your investment. Property values won't go up unless development happens, but they are preventing that.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I kind of wish people were taxed higher for just sitting on land or taxed for leaving stores go vacant then they get tax breaks for doing something with the building or leasing out the building
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I kind of wish people were taxed higher for just sitting on land or taxed for leaving stores go vacant then they get tax breaks for doing something with the building or leasing out the building
You mean incentivizing growth across the board instead of subsidizing inactivity and speculation by a smaller group with concentrated wealth? That’s just crazy talk!