Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Hyde Parkers how are things going in the completed MAC properties?  Noticeable decrease in trouble?  I know they had the fatality over that way the other day and you still hear of issues but I can't make out whether these are in the restored towers or if the problems are coming from other buildings/elsewhere. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Hyde Parkers how are things going in the completed MAC properties?  Noticeable decrease in trouble?  I know they had the fatality over that way the other day and you still hear of issues but I can't make out whether these are in the restored towers or if the problems are coming from other buildings/elsewhere. 
the slaying on saturday morning originated from the Homestead building - which is one of the properties MAC has recently announced they purchased. 

from what i understand, the MAC properties are great.  no problems at all.  some tenants have had cars broken into, etc., but the buildings themselves are completely problem-free.  MAC is really on top of the game here. 

most of the issues on armour are related to people who don't live anywhere near armour traveling over to the section 8 buildings, frequently causing trouble or at least bringing it with them.  turning the buildings market-rate seems to really be curbing that significantly. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/22/21 ... evard.html

^ The KC Star basically reports the same thing, with a bit more background about the decline of Armour Blvd over the years.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Fantastic news!  I am thrilled to hear that someone else, especially a real-estate firm with deep pockets, sees the same potential along Armour that I (and many others) do.  There is no reason that such an elegant and convenient hub for midtown apartment living should be allowed to decline into a crime-addled blight upon the city.  The area around Clyde Manor already seems energized with new (non-sketchy) tenants and dog walkers.  I never thought I would see it!  Every time I drive or bike down Armour, from Paseo to Broadway, I am impressed by what was, and with any luck, what will be again. 

On a side note, I hope one day Armour recovers enough to provide some light retail/restaurant/bar options to provide Hyde Park (and all of eastern midtown really) with more of the true walkable neighborhood feel that it deserves.  Whether it is along Troost, Armour, or that little strip where Sidestreet is, this area needs some walkable eating/nightlife/convenience options to become the truly urbane urban ?hood that it once was, and clearly could be. 
are we spinning free?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

If only light rail was a reality with a station at Main & Armour, these would be highly coveted apartments.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Does anyone know what they're going to do w/the little building between Clyde Manor & the building directly to the west? It's like a little carriage house-y kind deal tucked in between the 2 buildings. cool little building, & they're refurbing it, too.
Halt_I_Am_Reptar
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Halt_I_Am_Reptar »

I looked at some MAC Properties this year and the staff told me they are going to put in a pool/fitness center in or near this locale.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Ah...OK, thanks. That's one of the things I was wondering, because there's also a space there where a pool would fit. I bet that's what's up.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

moderne wrote: If only light rail was a reality with a station at Main & Armour, these would be highly coveted apartments.
Doesn't MAX stop at Armour? Seems like a reasonable alternative to me.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Yes, Main Street MAX stops at Armour, and later this year Troost MAX will also stop on Armour.  They'll be nice bookends to this corridor.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Theres a shitty apt building on the corner of Forest and Armour that has been getting really crappy work done to it ( and Im guessing illegally) and hate the idea of the problems moving more my direction.
P&L Free since 2008
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Halt_I_Am_Reptar wrote: I looked at some MAC Properties this year and the staff told me they are going to put in a pool/fitness center in or near this locale.
BTW - this is confirmed. Saw people swimmin' there yesterday. I can't think of another building around here that offers that perk.
kansas
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kansas »

The current HUD position on FHA blanket approval for single-family isn't helping redevelopment here, but the rental occupancy is very good for one of my clients on Armour
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Approval given for renovation of 11 more buildings along Armour Boulevard

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/28/26 ... evard.html
There is no fifth destination.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/12/29/33 ... tment.html

Nine more buildings along armour totaling some 600 apartments. These buildings are closer to broadway and are being done by the same company (antheus)that has been doing the other 11 buildings along armour (800 apartments). They say everything they have completed thus far is about 90% occupied. These guys are doing a great job rejuvenating this stretch of the city...turning low income and vacant housing into an area anchor. Great to see!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

kboish wrote:http://www.kansascity.com/2011/12/29/33 ... tment.html

Nine more buildings along armour totaling some 600 apartments. These buildings are closer to broadway and are being done by the same company (antheus)that has been doing the other 11 buildings along armour (800 apartments). They say everything they have completed thus far is about 90% occupied. These guys are doing a great job rejuvenating this stretch of the city...turning low income and vacant housing into an area anchor. Great to see!
absolutely huge. i think Antheus/MAC's efforts along the Armour corridor is the most significant development story right now in KC, esp. residential development. just a few short years ago, these buildings were either vacant or were hives of crime and drugs.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

It would be great, if someone at the Star, (Mr. Collison?), would do an in depth article on Antheus/MAC. Who are they? What is their structure? Where are they headquartered? What else are they doing? How much more might they do? Where the hell do they print their money?

Hooray for them and as result, for us! Really so extraordinarily important to the health and future of midtown and rippling out concentrically.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

loftguy wrote:It would be great, if someone at the Star, (Mr. Collison?), would do an in depth article on Antheus/MAC. Who are they? What is their structure? Where are they headquartered? What else are they doing? How much more might they do? Where the hell do they print their money?

Hooray for them and as result, for us! Really so extraordinarily important to the health and future of midtown and rippling out concentrically.
No kidding, you wonder if other entities know that there is a successful model for urban housing in KC that might be replicated.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

It should also be noted that they are financing all of this with State Historic Tax Credits. None of this would have been possible w/o this incentive. State politicians looking to demonstrate just how crucial these tax credits are should be shouting from the mountain tops about these projects.