Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
mykn

Re: Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Post by mykn »

moderne wrote:Remarkable how this relatively low rise pre fab building dominates the streetscape in the thirties of Main, which is a stretch of low rise and surface lots.
Might be some nice views from the upper floor units.
For me it's really changed the feel of main street traveling south right around there. Put another on that BK lot & the corner of Main and Armour and we might have something here.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

current status:

KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The windows in the front appear a little larger than the rendering (and that is somewhat the case throughout). I'm glad to see that. The skinny windows and relatively minimal window space were my biggest concerns with this design.

I'm still a little concerned about the portion to the north the is currently being framed. I'm assuming that will be the elevator shaft and stairway. It makes sense that it would lack windows, but the mostly blank wall fronting the project doesn't look great.

mykn

Post by mykn »

Just heard from MAC on twitter, the retail space has been created with a cafe or restaurant in mind.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The MAC 'pod' constructed apt building has opened up. All 2 bedrooms leased out in a few days. They look pretty basic inside but much better isolation per unit. Wonder if we'll see more in KC, perhaps a little taller. Is there an elevator? Anyone have the construction time compared to a traditional building this size?

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 11519.html

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

With 2200 sqft restaurant space MAC could perhaps offer a period of free/reduced rent to Burger King in this building in exchange for selling the BK lot next door. BK (franchiser I assume) apparently doesn't want to sell to MAC. Then perhaps give BK option for reduced rent in retail space for whatever project goes in that lot if BK wanting more space. Allowing BK to use parking spaces may be a challenge depending on design and ideally MAC would talk them out of a drive through (P&L BK has none). Midtown may not be ready yet for certain biz with no parking until streetcar goes through.
Last edited by earthling on Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Article mentions an elevator.

This project turned out great. We could make a whole village of these in the east loop.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

As always I need to ask: any update on Mac Properties' plan for Armour and Troost?
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

They are still working on gaining control of the properties...
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The old duplexes and apartments on the north, west of Baltimore are coming along great. They are in the process of installing new exterior columns and ironwork railings. Going to look perfect to the period, great save.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

moderne wrote:The old duplexes and apartments on the north, west of Baltimore are coming along great. They are in the process of installing new exterior columns and ironwork railings. Going to look perfect to the period, great save.
Agree - I couldn't be happier to see how they're turning out. I also noticed that the cool old building directly across the Gilham from Mother Earth Coffee has been fenced off. Does MAC own that property, too, or could we be looking at a demo?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's owned by an LLC listed under its' street address. No other ownership information. Permits have been filed for renovation of the building, and SWD Architects is overseeing the alterations. They have much experience doing historic properties.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote:It's owned by an LLC listed under its' street address. No other ownership information. Permits have been filed for renovation of the building, and SWD Architects is overseeing the alterations. They have much experience doing historic properties.
The address for 100-118 W ARMOUR LLC is the same as other MAC properties

See this page of this thread
http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?t=19947
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

They're referring to 3513 Gillham. It's a developer who owns quite a few apartments in Midtown... It'll be a good renovation!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This building.

http://tinyurl.com/y8y7lmr9

It has been known as the Hawthorne Apartments.

http://kchistory.org/content/hawthorne- ... nts-winter
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Damn, that is a fine looking building!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Has the Bainbridge been shut down? Some friends live near there and they think it has been. It's the last Section 8 holdout on Armour. Hopefully MAC snatched it up.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I haven't heard anything or seen anything to indicate that would be the case with the Bainbridge (and with how hot a topic the Bainbridge is in the neighborhood, I would be surprised if that happened without much hoopla).

I did happen to recently notice a "for lease" sign on the building that I believe is new. I have no idea if that has any significance or could indicate new management.

Mac has been wanting to buy it for years. I think part of the problem is that it may be required to remain section 8 for a number of more years due to the credits that were received for renovation.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I thought it had to remain Section 8 for a while longer as well. Maybe they've managed to change the conditions for tenants are starting over with different criteria. Not sure how Section 8 works.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Bainbridge is still open. AFAIK the owner is still the same, though may have cleaned up their act. It's far quieter than two or three summers ago.

IIRC it has until 2030 or so before it can return to market rate.