Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:58 pm Shields is running for mayor.
Are you absolutely sure about that?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It was my impression that she was thinking about it. Perhaps with the field already crowded, and Kander running, she has decided not to run.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

She was at Jason Kander’s campaign kick off, so I would imagine she has decided not to run.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That would be a sign.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I don't think Shields is nearly as formidable as suggested, no matter the race. She beat Glover by something like 300 votes in a race that Glover more or less sat out. The only people I've ever heard praise her are goons on the HKC FB page. Otherwise I hear nothing but negative experiences with her.

(But I digress)

Man, Armour looks fantastic and is functioning well.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:42 am I don't think Shields is nearly as formidable as suggested, no matter the race. She beat Glover by something like 300 votes in a race that Glover more or less sat out. The only people I've ever heard praise her are goons on the HKC FB page. Otherwise I hear nothing but negative experiences with her.

(But I digress)

Man, Armour looks fantastic and is functioning well.
Arguing over which subpar choice was better is not worth the time.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

chaglang wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:39 pm The MAC development is being held up by Shields.
How exactly is she able to do that? What power does she have to hold this up by herself?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

My guess would be that she lobbied other PZ&E members to not vote for it until the project was forced to go through other hoops. Like a side trip to the BZA. But that's only a guess.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Armour Boulevard Becomes Kansas City's First Parking-Protected Bike Lane

http://www.kcur.org/post/armour-bouleva ... e#stream/0
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Armour looks and functions wonderfully after the update to parking protected bike lanes. Hope it becomes the model for other streets going forward.

Also like the small dog park MAC added on the vacant lot just north of Armour/Gillham. Seems to be trending and a good use of vacant land in a dense area while awaiting future development.

Really want to see the Armour/Troost project pushed through sooner than later, if for no other reason than gaining an increased retail presence in the area. Even one or two decent restaurant/bars would change the sleepy feel of the neighborhood and make it a more livable, walkable place.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Only thing I would change with the Armour bike lanes is to remove one parking space from each corner of the intersections. Since the parking is pushed out an extra 4-5 feet or so, it's really hard to see oncoming vehicles when driving or cycling. I suspect it's also really hard to see oncoming cyclists for vehicles turning off of Armour as well. Other than that, I loooooove the change. Use it all the time.
KCKev2
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCKev2 »

It is difficult to observe traffic in a turn left situation south of Armour Boulevard.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I was glad to see that MAC still seems to be moving forward with site prep even if the project is being held up by Shields. I saw the tanks being removed from the gas station site today. It looked like a core sample was being taken on the NE corner and other work was happening on the SW corner.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

rxlexi wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:12 am

Really want to see the Armour/Troost project pushed through sooner than later, if for no other reason than gaining an increased retail presence in the area. Even one or two decent restaurant/bars would change the sleepy feel of the neighborhood and make it a more livable, walkable place.
I've always thought food trucks could kill at armour/gilham
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I don't mind the new bike lanes, but it is difficult to see traffic if you're trying to turn onto Armour from a side street.

It has actually made me use Linwood much more than I used to - which I hope was part of the plan.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:48 pm The newly renovated buildings on Armour between Baltimore and Wyandotte look terrific. I'm really glad they weren't demolished.

This link shows an interior of one of the apartments in the colonades.

https://tinyurl.com/y8as3zjl
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The application for 520 E Armour has been submitted to CPC, so it looks like this is being split off from Armour and Troost Development.

I think they are going to have a tough time getting this through as it is currently proposed. Much of the focus had been on Armour and Troost, but I think there is an even larger NIMBY sentiment towards this development from some Central Hyde Park neighbors. People around this spot already complain about parking/traffic from MAC.

The plan calls for 110 units and 77 parking spaces. I'm not sure of the number of spaces currently in that lot (serving the Newbern), but it is probably more than that.

Here are the first drawings. Looks like it is going to be pretty much all brick (likely going for a more "traditional" look to appease neighbors).

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The south elevation actually looks pretty good as far as faux historical buildings go
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

They may be able to get this through CPC. Armour and Troost passed 5-0, with the Central Hyde Parkers drawing a lecture from Commission members on parking and urbanism. It wasn’t until Shields put a hold on the project that progress stopped. Also this project is blocks from Harrison Boulevard, where the most vocal group of the NIMBYs live. So they may not care because it doesn’t bring the deep, existential threat of a renter parking directly in front of their house.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:09 pm The application for 520 E Armour has been submitted to CPC, so it looks like this is being split off from Armour and Troost Development.

I think they are going to have a tough time getting this through as it is currently proposed. Much of the focus had been on Armour and Troost, but I think there is an even larger NIMBY sentiment towards this development from some Central Hyde Park neighbors. People around this spot already complain about parking/traffic from MAC.

The plan calls for 110 units and 77 parking spaces. I'm not sure of the number of spaces currently in that lot (serving the Newbern), but it is probably more than that.

Here are the first drawings. Looks like it is going to be pretty much all brick (likely going for a more "traditional" look to appease neighbors).

Nice find.
So, why is the kcmo.gov Development Tracker Map not showing this? Is it defunct now since the introduction of compasskc.kcmo.org?