[Relatively] new church in Westport doing awesome things.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

[Relatively] new church in Westport doing awesome things.

Post by Cheffreygo »

My wife and I recently started going to a church called Redeemer Fellowship in Westport at 3921 Baltimore. The building used to belong to First Calvary Baptist Church, but that congregation donated the building and all contents to the new Redeemer Fellowship congregation. Redeemer began in June of 2008 and has already grown to about 600 or so attendees weekly.

The reason I'm writing this here is because this church has a huge passion for the urban core. One of the central messages is encouraging members to live in the city center and contribute to their communities. As an example, many members volunteer often at Westport High School and even do things like go to WHS football games to support the team/community.

I've grown up in the church and it's unlike any congregation I've been a part of. I would encourage anyone who has been looking for a fresh dose of the gospel to try out Redeemer Fellowship.
TrevorA
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: [Relatively] new church in Westport doing awesome things.

Post by TrevorA »

I visited this church a couple times shortly after they started. I like the city-mindedness though most of the people I met live in the burbs. That may have changed now, I suppose, since there were only a 100 or so attending back then. It's good to hear they're trying to be involved in the community.

There are other churches in the area doing a lot in the community and are pro-city as well. Jacob's Well, for instance in the Volker neighborhood, or my church, Beggars Table, in the crossroads. (I'll be happy when both ditch their "hipster" names for something more tasteful like "Redeemer", but I digress  :?)

Though I cringe when I see suburbanites evangelizing in the city, I think it's good for city churches and city congregations to be active in our local institutions. Feeding the poor, running community gardens, promoting the arts, etc. seem like exactly the sorts of things a genuine faith community should be doing. 
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Post by alpha_glamourina »

Where is this Beggar's Table church? 
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Specifically, I mean.  Address or cross streets? 
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

It's at 2009 Baltimore, in the Crossroads.  They also have some fairly decent First Friday shows there.
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Thanks!