Wonderful Waldo

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Wonderful Waldo

Post by mgsports »

MrBeardsley
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by MrBeardsley »

Aww hell no! We definitely do not need a Walmart in Waldo. Please stay out! :evil:
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Agree. I'm absolutely against this coming to the neighborhood.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I was all ready to crack on it being a Walmart, but it sounds like the Neighborhood Markets like to reuse existing buildings. Feel free to hate it because it's still Walmart, but I thought that the reuse aspect was interesting. I haven't heard if their proposal for Bingham includes keeping the building.

Wikipedia:
Another store is set to open late June 2012 in Bellevue, Washington in an old K-Mart space. The first neighborhood market opened in Wisconsin in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin in 2012 inside a vacant Jewel Osco Grocery store it is the first to open in southeastern Wisconsin. A new store in Bellevue, NE is set to open in December 2012. Additionally, a location has been announced for Levittown, NY in the former location of a Waldbaums® supermarket in Levittown Mews.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

How Wal-Mart is devouring the food system.

http://grist.org/food/how-walmart-is-de ... od-system/
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Does the CID pay for the Waldo signs at 85/Wornall and the lighted Waldo display at Gregory/Wornall. Because if they do, those are awesome. The script work is great, not flashy or inevitable-dated. Really classy. Up there with the glorious Swope Park official scripting.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

MrBeardsley
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by MrBeardsley »

There is also a petition linked from the FB page that will be sent to the KCMO School Board. Please take a second to sign it.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I wonder how many people think this would be an actual Wal-Mart and not the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market that's proposed?
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Wal-mart is good place to shop at so let it come.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

kcjak wrote:I wonder how many people think this would be an actual Wal-Mart and not the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market that's proposed?
same low wages
MrBeardsley
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by MrBeardsley »

When is Pickleman's going to get going? I freaking loved that place in Columbia, and I'm geeked to have it right down the street.

PS. I also hate that the tax service used their old sign over the new location. What a missed opportunity for something a little fresher.

PSS. While I'm hatin'..... what about that Cash for Gold place? I can't believe that made it in. Good lord. Hell in a handbasket, that's where Waldo is headed.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Although many might not consider it in Waldo it has been announced that Christ the King elementary school at 85th and Wornall is closing after the current school year. Looks like it would have been down to under 50 students. When I went there in the late 50's/early 60's it probably had over 800 students. For my daughter in the mid 90's probably 400 or so. It opened in 1945.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Although many might not consider it in Waldo it has been announced that Christ the King elementary school at 85th and Wornall is closing after the current school year. Looks like it would have been down to under 50 students. When I went there in the late 50's/early 60's it probably had over 800 students. For my daughter in the mid 90's probably 400 or so. It opened in 1945.
why the drop in enrollment? Are the other catholic schools having enrollment declines? How much it tuition compared to other private schools?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I would imagine the biggest reason for the drop is quite common for any school that has a drop in enrollment - fewer families with children and fewer children in families. It was reported that the tuition was among the lowest for Catholic grade schools in the area.
Add the fact that there are fewer Catholic families in the parish.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

What are the demographics like in that area? My impression is that there are a lot of empty nesters in that part of Waldo, the parents of the kids who went to CTCK in tne boom years who have never left the parish.
Last edited by chaglang on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
elonalum
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by elonalum »

i think demographics is the biggest factor. with children in the waldo/brookside area that attend catholic school...tuition at the schools is fairly irrelevant unless you are a non-parishoner. these schools thrive on a tithing model - with less and less school families at CTK partially due to the continued fear of them ultimately shutting the doors the just couldn't survive. i believe the parish is still strong - we attend mass there regularly.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

MrBeardsley wrote:When is Pickleman's going to get going? I freaking loved that place in Columbia, and I'm geeked to have it right down the street.

PS. I also hate that the tax service used their old sign over the new location. What a missed opportunity for something a little fresher.

PSS. While I'm hatin'..... what about that Cash for Gold place? I can't believe that made it in. Good lord. Hell in a handbasket, that's where Waldo is headed.
http://www.pitch.com/fatcity/archives/2 ... nd-wornall

May opening.