Wonderful Waldo

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Wonderful Waldo

Post by DaveKCMO »

i like it. built up to the sidewalk. clean design with lots of natural light.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Block is set to redevelop the Pride Cleaners Building at 73rd and Wornall:

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... pment.html

Some interesting bits in the article:
"Wornall Road has been very strategic for us in the past, and we believe in its future," David Block, president of Block & Co., told the Kansas City Business Journal. "(It's) a very strong commercial road that deserves attention, and it deserves redevelopment and upgrading."

Several possibilities the company is mulling are expanding the 3,000-square-foot building to house a restaurant or converting it to a multitenant retail building. Alternatively, if it finds the right national restaurant tenant, Block & Co. could tear down the building and start fresh, he said.
I hope they do tear down and start fresh, ideally with a mixed-use building and something better than a "national restaurant tenant".

The fabric of Wornall Rd needs so much work that it can be hard to envision it as an attractive urban street, but you gotta start somewhere and I have always thought that this parcel might be a good jumping off point.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Tanner's Waldo closed for good this weekend.
Well, we have some news:

After 27 wonderful years serving the Waldo area, we have decided that this weekend will be our last.

It has been our pleasure to have been here and we thank all of you that have made this possible for all of these years!

Come have a Final Final with us this weekend to celebrate our good times together. We’d love to see you.
https://www.facebook.com/Tanners75/phot ... =3&theater
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

FangKC wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:07 pm Tanner's Waldo closed for good this weekend.
Well, we have some news:

After 27 wonderful years serving the Waldo area, we have decided that this weekend will be our last.

It has been our pleasure to have been here and we thank all of you that have made this possible for all of these years!

Come have a Final Final with us this weekend to celebrate our good times together. We’d love to see you.
https://www.facebook.com/Tanners75/phot ... =3&theater
I've only been in there once in the last 5 years, and it was definitely needing a remodel. It has been for 20 years. I thought the Tanner's people did a nice job with the new one on Rainbow near the KU Med. I'm kind of surprised they didn't try to redo it themselves - they seem to have a decent following in the neighborhood. That's a pretty prime location.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

California group to open neighborhood restaurant and bar with ‘upscale feel’ in Waldo
For more than 25 years, Tanner’s Bar and Grill was a neighborhood mainstay in Waldo.

But now California-based Broseph’s Restaurant Group has leased the space at 7425 Broadway for a new neighborhood restaurant and bar, but one with an upscale feel. It is scheduled to open in March after a remodeling.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 07410.html
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I hope Broseph is a family name.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

grovester wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:37 am I hope Broseph is a family name.
Not even close Bromigo...

Partners Justin Safier and Travis Lester formed Broseph’s Restaurant Group (BRG) in July of 2010 out a passion and love for the restaurant industry, as well as the belief in a need for more restaurants with outstanding culinary experience paired with exceptional atmosphere. The word Broseph reflects the uniquely loyal relationship that Travis and Justin have as partners as well as with their entire staff who are friends, and even more so, family.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

You would think the people behind Lew's and the Well would have bought it to further compete with the people behind Summit Grill. Wonder if Lew's and The Well are profitable these days, i just see those 2 concepts as so dated, they were kind of overpriced for the sysco type food they served. I haven't been to either in a long time
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This Waldo building has sat defunct for 14 years. Owner: ‘Give me a little more time’
In 2005, George W. Bush was president, “Wedding Crashers” was a top movie and Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans.

Babies born then are teenagers today.

It also was the year Nicholas Abnos purchased the BrandsMart building at 211 W. Gregory Blvd. in Waldo, with big plans to renovate it for retail, restaurants and residential.

He’s still at it.

“I’m concentrating on different projects now and then I’m going over there. Two or three are working on the inside now and then we will do the outside,” Abnos said this week. “I do custom work, custom work takes more time. All the plumbing is completed, almost, all the major work has been done. I’m hoping to build a parking garage. We are working very diligently. And I haven’t used one dime of public money, and I could have. It’s not my style to do that.”
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 11679.html

http://tinyurl.com/y49c3x8d
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Can anyone point me to a successful project by this developer?
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

This is a family of speculators, not developers--typically. They hold up development, rather than make it happen. They do own some older neighborhood strip centers, like the shops at 38th and SW Tfwy, where Freshwater is located.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

^ which they mucked up by adding their trademark goofy and historically inappropriate signage/sculpture things that are popular for firearms target practice
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Critical_Mass wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:00 am ^ which they mucked up by adding their trademark goofy and historically inappropriate signage/sculpture things that are popular for firearms target practice
Yeah I can't wait till that comes down one day. It is such a nice little building without that clutter.

I was taking a picture of it years ago, and Abnos happened to be there. I didn't know it was him. He asked what I thought of the renovation. I wasn't kind. :lol:
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

town cow wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:27 am This is a family of speculators, not developers--typically. They hold up development, rather than make it happen. They do own some older neighborhood strip centers, like the shops at 38th and SW Tfwy, where Freshwater is located.
The father has held onto the 120+ unit Marquette building at Armour and Forest for about a decade. He bought it off the dangerous buildings list for a pittance and hasn't done anything with it. MAC offered him a substantial amount of money to include it in their Armour and Troost development and was rebuffed. So it continues to rot, and with no available parking is probably impossible to redevelop. He was able to renovate the building at 40th and Troost, which was a pleasant surprise.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I'm not sure father is the right relationship. I believe there are either brothers or cousins or something. And I'm not sure they are in business together, though they both do real estate.

And I think Nicholas owns the building at 10th and Oak, which has lingered in an incomplete state for at least a decade. I just don't get it.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

taxi wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:21 pm And I think Nicholas owns the building at 10th and Oak, which has lingered in an incomplete state for at least a decade. I just don't get it.
I hear drills whirrring when I walk past there sometimes. Honestly I think its a chop shop or something.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

taxi wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:21 pm I'm not sure father is the right relationship. I believe there are either brothers or cousins or something. And I'm not sure they are in business together, though they both do real estate.

And I think Nicholas owns the building at 10th and Oak, which has lingered in an incomplete state for at least a decade. I just don't get it.
Developer Hopes to Raise Money to Finish Renovating Eyesore Building at 10th and Oak

December 7, 2017

https://cityscenekc.com/developer-hopes ... city-hall/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Broseph's Restaurant Group to open a Brick + Mortar in Waldo. Takes over Tanner's space.
California-based Broseph's Restaurant Group is delivering on its vision of planting deeper roots in Kansas City and plans to open a Brick + Mortar restaurant on June 7, The Kansas City Star reports.
Brick + Mortar, the first Broseph's concept to open locally, is taking over the former Tanner's Bar and Grill space at 7425 Broadway in Kansas City's Waldo neighborhood. The restaurant will seat 70 in the dining room and 65 in the bar and lounge area.
https://tinyurl.com/yxjzbzlq
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

https://www.brickandmortar-brg.com/

Seems to be these guys? Menu looks fine. Website says they have a location in Santa Monica and another at Pitt State in Pittsburg, KS. That seems... odd.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Still can't get over the name Broseph