Wonderful Waldo

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Wonderful Waldo

Post by rxlexi »

I agree the Eldo apartments are underwhelming, but look at the site. A surface parking lot (has been as long as I can remember) with a view of the giant blank back wall of a self-storage facility.

Surprised that lot is being developed at all.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I feel the same way. Other than being in a very walkable spot, it's a terribly ugly location so thank god they're developing it. I live mere blocks away so I've driven that road a million times when leaving Walgreens to get back on Wornall or 75th "the back way". Trust me it's ugly!

Wish the boarded up Wendy's would get razed and become another sizeable apartment with some height.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The El Dorado apartments you are discussing are a Section 811 project funded by HUD that was developed by reStart, Inc. It is limited by the funds available and design standards imposed. If you look at previous 811 projects you will see this is actually an improvement- though thats not to say its beautiful.

http://fox4kc.com/2015/01/30/waldo-apar ... usinesses/

Some are concerned on the impact it will have on the surrounding neighborhood. I think those concerns are unfounded.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

pash wrote:Back when there was some vague hope of eventually having a streetcar line run all the way through Waldo's commercial core, I thought the area had some real potential. But with that hope dead, there's not really any reason to expect Waldo to become anything better than it is, even if it is one of the only nodes outside of the core city with decent urban bones.
I think the Cerner development could have the potential to take Waldo to the next level. Cerner hires a lot of fresh out of college transplants, many of whom I would think could really be attracted to Waldo due to it's relative proximity and youth appeal. Hopefully some developers will see the same potential and put in some more multi-family (and hopefully mixed-use).

Many developments are going to greatly benefit from Cerner and the 16,000 new workers. Lee's Summit has an apartment development planned near the KC border where the developer specifically mentioned Cerner. OP has a lot of multi-family in the works that I"m sure will attract Cerner employees. I hope the Waldo area can fully capitalize on this opportunity. Add in other south KC developments like Burns and McDonnell and Oxford on the Blue and there is a huge potential for growth.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

pash wrote:Per Twitter, Pizzeria Locale on 75th Street will open on July 22.
Pretty good. Very similar to Pizza Manifesto in terms of pizza. Will come in handy from a convenience standpoint.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

If you have a spare $690K burning a hole in your pocket, you can do KC Hopps a favor and take 75th St Brewery off their hands.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

from a recent MARC meeting:
Waldo Streetscape – 75th & Wornall Road

Mario Vasquez, City of Kansas City, Mo. – Public Works, gave a background on the Waldo Streetscape and the results of the PSP [Planning Sustainable Places] work they are completing.

• Application by City of Kansas City. Matching funds provided by Waldo CID
• City provided traffic information, crash data, and other information
• Conducted a three day charrette on site
• Daily opportunity for stakeholder and community input
• Fast track: 9 months from award to completion

The PSP Program has allowed them to galvanize overwhelming community support, and to engage design professionals to take a detailed look at the multi-modal transportation issues in this location. Additionally, it allows
the district to move forward with other planned projects without creating conflicts. As part of their implementation process, they are planning:

• Road diet for 75th Street – narrow to three lanes
• Corrected intersection alignment at Wornall & improved turning movements reducing conflicts
• Bump outs, medians (Wornall) & new access between 74th and 75th improve pedestrian access / crossings
• Reduced points of conflict with elimination of access at Broadway and 75th Street
• Dedicated on-street parking
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

DaveKCMO wrote:from a recent MARC meeting:
Waldo Streetscape – 75th & Wornall Road

The PSP Program has allowed them to galvanize overwhelming community support, and to engage design professionals to take a detailed look at the multi-modal transportation issues in this location. Additionally, it allows
the district to move forward with other planned projects without creating conflicts.
What was it...two years ago, they rebuilt Wornall south from around 77th to 85th? It took forever to complete and the end result was...well, underwhelming. They should have turned it into a 3-lane, added street trees and a generous walkway. As completed, it is still ugly and underperforming as a value generator. It moves cars, and deters everything else.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

truth!
m.toast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by m.toast »

Public meeting at 10 am on Sat, April 9 at Bingham Middle School (7618 Wyandotte) for info on the school's scheduled demolition. Demolition is scheduled to begin that following week.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

swid wrote:If you have a spare $690K burning a hole in your pocket, you can do KC Hopps a favor and take 75th St Brewery off their hands.
Summit Grill to purchase the 75th ST space and move the restaurant. Then they will open their ramen shop in the existing Summit space. From the Pitch.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

A couple years ago we were calling for dedicated fresh ramen shops in the city and now there are a few.

Next up, KC could now use a couple dedicated 'poke bowl' joints, POH-key or POH-kay. Bob Wasabi/w39th has it on menu (maybe other sushi places) but I've seen Chipotle style dedicated Poke counter joints in LA that would be nice to see in KC.

How about grasshopper tacos?

chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

earthling wrote: How about grasshopper tacos?
Mmmmmmmmm....chapulines. You don't need a tortilla. Just a plastic bag full of them for walkabouts.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

We need a Sushi Burrito place
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There appears to be a new commercial building in the works replacing the Waldo Antiques building on 75th St. It seems like an odd design:

http://www.botwinrealestate.com/leasing ... w-75th-st/

m.toast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by m.toast »

Oh gawd. So ugly... :(