Wonderful Waldo

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Wonderful Waldo

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I've been three times now. Like Feruzza said, when the food is good, it's really good! The first time it was great, I had a really good burger and the fries had garlic and parmesean on them. The second time I got a ham sandwich and the fries were plain salted fries, not nearly as tasty as the first time. It's frustrating to pitch it to someone and tell them that a place has really good _____ and then go and it's different then it was 3 days ago.

The $3 price for infused liquors during HH was good. We tried the apple cinnamon, honey vanilla, and pecan pie bourbons. The service was a little slow all three times we've been. I really want to like them, I'll try again in a month.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

The new exterior signage for The District is plain awful. I don't understand how folks can get it so wrong. It's not a strip mall.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

A cheapo banner has been hung on the front, peaked inside yesterday and they were still working inside, but it doesn't look too far off.

http://www.pizzamanifesto.com/
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

PumpkinStalker wrote:A cheapo banner has been hung on the front, peaked inside yesterday and they were still working inside, but it doesn't look too far off.

Hope the pizza is better than their website.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

WSPanic wrote:
PumpkinStalker wrote:A cheapo banner has been hung on the front, peaked inside yesterday and they were still working inside, but it doesn't look too far off.

I tried this place on Sunday and overall was very pleased. You essentially "make" your own pizza (choosing sauce/ cheeses/ toppings). They also offer a couple of very simple salads. Pizza came out in about 10 minutes. Style/size is similar to La Cucina di Mamma. Great crust, like the simple tomato sauce, toppings are fresh. I will definitely be back. REALLY wished they served beer, but that's okay.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

kucer wrote:
WSPanic wrote:

I tried this place on Sunday and overall was very pleased. You essentially "make" your own pizza (choosing sauce/ cheeses/ toppings). They also offer a couple of very simple salads. Pizza came out in about 10 minutes. Style/size is similar to La Cucina di Mamma. Great crust, like the simple tomato sauce, toppings are fresh. I will definitely be back. REALLY wished they served beer, but that's okay.
I have been several times now and the ingredients are always good. They also ask a few questions about certain toppings - if you want them put on before or after baking (for example spinach...some like it cooked with the pizza, some like it fresh on top).

When they first opened the owner told me he would be adding a small number of beers to the cooler under the register, but he was going to take his time on that. I hope it happens too.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Remedy is closing as of 9/28. Two owners of Summit Grill out on 291 near Woods Chapel are going to open their second location here. I won't miss Remedy at all. Big aspirations and talk, didn't really execute it well in my opinion. My food was often overcooked, and just wasn't that great. I went twice a month to have a decent beer and watch a Royals game since it's walkable for me, but I stopped eating there 6 months ago. I'm very happy for a change here. Their facebook post announcing they were leaving left a bad taste in my mouth just like their food.

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... next-month
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Aw, I liked Remedy, although I had only been twice. Its a good space, hopefully someone fills it well.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

KCMax wrote:Aw, I liked Remedy, although I had only been twice. Its a good space, hopefully someone fills it well.
You may have gone during one of their good chefs.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Anybody see the letter they posted about how kc wasn't ready for their progressive restaurant?
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

KCPowercat wrote:Anybody see the letter they posted about how kc wasn't ready for their progressive restaurant?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's on their Facebook page.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Ultra-progressive restaurant. :lol: :lol:
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Until that letter, I had absolutely no idea that they single-handedly built Waldo and went on to magnificently create the map upon which they squarely and benevolently placed Waldo.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

That letter is a real treat.

What was so "ahead of its time" about it? It was a nice restaurant, but I didn't get the sense it was uber-trendy or anything.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCMax wrote:That letter is a real treat.

What was so "ahead of its time" about it? It was a nice restaurant, but I didn't get the sense it was uber-trendy or anything.
I didnt' either...I had brunch there and it was the most standard brunch menu one had ever witnessed....so I went and checked out their other menus....100 restaurants have that same menu....in KC. Oh wait, they had burger "modifiers". Ultra progressive.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote:
KCMax wrote:That letter is a real treat.

I didnt' either...I had brunch there and it was the most standard brunch menu one had ever witnessed....so I went and checked out their other menus....100 restaurants have that same menu....in KC. Oh wait, they had burger "modifiers". Ultra progressive.

Typical hipster restaurant. It's gone because you didn't "get it" while it was here, but now that you get it it cannot be here anymore. Should have just called the place "Schrödinger's"
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

It's always easier to blame someone else when you've sunk a ton of money, time, energy, and credibility into something that fails. It just didn't work. Such is life. I wouldn't take a jaded, sad facebook post too seriously.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

beautyfromashes wrote:It's always easier to blame someone else when you've sunk a ton of money, time, energy, and credibility into something that fails. It just didn't work. Such is life. I wouldn't take a jaded, sad facebook post too seriously.
I'm rethinking my decision to live in KC honestly.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:It's always easier to blame someone else when you've sunk a ton of money, time, energy, and credibility into something that fails. It just didn't work. Such is life. I wouldn't take a jaded, sad facebook post too seriously.
I'm rethinking my decision to live in KC honestly.
Why is that?