Wonderful Waldo

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Wonderful Waldo

Post by pstokely »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:I would imagine the biggest reason for the drop is quite common for any school that has a drop in enrollment - fewer families with children and fewer children in families. It was reported that the tuition was among the lowest for Catholic grade schools in the area.
Add the fact that there are fewer Catholic families in the parish.
Rockhurst isn't having issues with enrollment, or do they have a cap?
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

elonalum wrote:i think demographics is the biggest factor. with children in the waldo/brookside area that attend catholic school...tuition at the schools is fairly irrelevant unless you are a non-parishoner. these schools thrive on a tithing model - with less and less school families at CTK partially due to the continued fear of them ultimately shutting the doors the just couldn't survive. i believe the parish is still strong - we attend mass there regularly.
but won't a new generation of catholics replace those?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The number of Catholic families in the parish would appear to be quite fewer in number. Back in the 60's there were 3 daily masses at 6,7, and 8 in the morning. On Sundays at least at 6,7,8,9,10,11 and 12 with two Sunday masses Saturday evening. Not all were full of course but for the popular ones there would be people standing outside for the services. Of course there were many from other parishes since CTK masses were popular because they were shorter than others, but still there were many families there. Can't remember the year but late 60's or early 70's the south end of the parish (south of 435) was split off to form St. Thomas More on located on Holmes.
Many Catholic families have move to Lees' Summit and southern OP.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

City Gym is expanding. Taking over Family Bike who moved across the street. Should be ready by Dec 1.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Wal-Mart loses in Waldo. Bingham will be razed and a new buyer sought for the parcel.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/05/44 ... -plan.html
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chaglang wrote:Wal-Mart loses in Waldo. Bingham will be razed and a new buyer sought for the parcel.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/05/44 ... -plan.html
It's never too late to stop the making the kinds of mistakes they made with Walgreens and the CVS abomination. Good job, Waldo.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Yes, I was very relieved to see that post on the FB page last night.

Anyone care to enlighten me on hookah crap? Is it really that big of a trend? Do they really draw people enough to keep them in business? We have a little hookah place going in next to Bobby Bakers. I don't really care, just not something I patronize.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

PumpkinStalker wrote:Yes, I was very relieved to see that post on the FB page last night.

Anyone care to enlighten me on hookah crap? Is it really that big of a trend? Do they really draw people enough to keep them in business? We have a little hookah place going in next to Bobby Bakers. I don't really care, just not something I patronize.
I live relatively close to the Uptown - which my friends have now re-labeled Kansas City's Hookah District. On Broadway, there are at least 4 hookah bars between 31st and Westport Road (maybe more). I have never been in one, and don't really understand the concept.

I have the same question you do - I don't get it.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Anyone have an update on this place? Kiva lists the name as "District Restaurant" but I don't know if that's what they settled on.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

WSPanic wrote:
PumpkinStalker wrote:Yes, I was very relieved to see that post on the FB page last night.

I live relatively close to the Uptown - which my friends have now re-labeled Kansas City's Hookah District. On Broadway, there are at least 4 hookah bars between 31st and Westport Road (maybe more). I have never been in one, and don't really understand the concept.

I have the same question you do - I don't get it.
There is also one on 34th and Main across the street from Davey's. I have been to a couple of these on the weekend. Really diverse crowds of many ethic backgrounds like Muslims from Africa, African Americans, Suburban white kids, etc. Its a pretty relaxing time but some of these are absolute crap because they turn them into a quasi dance club playing club music. Its probably pretty successful because you can get the under 21 crowd in these places and the 18-21 year crowd are always looking for something to do on the weekend. A couple of them also charge a cover on the weekend.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Strange. I just don't get it, but I can now see how they may do well if they're attracting the sub 21 crowd. The one going in Waldo is really small I think...The store front looks to be about 12' wide and the light up sign on the front above the door is very small.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCMax wrote:
Anyone have an update on this place? Kiva lists the name as "District Restaurant" but I don't know if that's what they settled on.
Thought I heard it was going to be called "The District", which sounds like the kind of fixie model one might see advertized in a nashbar catalogue. Immediately stopped reading/listening.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I must have seen that. There's no way I thought of it on my own, unless the absolute saturation of borderline retarded markettingese has finally corrupted my internal mental processes.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

KCMax wrote:
I saw a small banner on the building and I believe it did say District. I'll be driving by in about 30 mins, I'll take another look.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Made it there last night. They've done a nice job with the remodel. Big open space thus kinda loud. New bar still in same spot and a few fixed high top tables located in same area. TVs a plenty. Booths and tables in main dining area and back room. Modern day jukebox. Had a couple apps that were okay but not anything to make me want to hurry back. Menu seems like a ton of offerings just not sure if any of it will outstanding. Plenty of staff..very friendly. Crowd was a mix of folks. Overall a good addition..hoping they do a decent burger & fries and I'll be happy.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

District Pour House + Kitchen is ready for some regulars
There's an emphasis on seafood (a snow-crab boil, a hazelnut-crusted salmon salad, a crab dip that comes with hush puppies). A deep-fried catfish is served as a fillet rather than the bone-in dish on Romanelli Grill's menu. The food leans toward comfort - chicken and dumplings and meatloaf - with twists, the former featuring house-made gnocchi, the latter with trimmings from those hand-cut steaks.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I haven't been around for awhile, but felt obligated to post today. :) Has anyone been to the District yet? I'm bummed the Gaf closed, it was our local, but this place is a huge asset to the neighborhood, I'm very excited. The space has been totally redone, and looks much brighter and more open than before. They have bathroom doors you can wave open, which sounds silly but the germaphobe in me loves! They have a really great happy hour from 3 - 7, good beer deals and $3 "infusions". It's a bit noisy, but I'm a huge fan of this place, I've probably been there 10 times since they opened (No I'm not a friend / cousin of the owner!). They have a bunch of infused vodkas and liquors, a very respectable and interesting beer list and a few unique white and red wines on their wine list, so something for everyone. The food is good, they have a nice range of options, from mac and cheese to tacos to burgers to a filet...... I've liked everything I've tried there, although I'm partial to the crab dip and blue cheese burger.... Service has been a little inconsistent, but mostly really good.

Hopefully they get a patio set up before spring, I miss being able to sit outside!

My free district advertisement....
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »