Wonderful Waldo

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Wonderful Waldo

Post by moderne »

Had lunch a couple of times in Lenexa, and it was ok for lunch, but I will not go back after seeing they were cited and closed for a few days for cockroach problems.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I received a little card yesterday in the mail for a free coffee drink at Coffee Girls.  I'll give anyone another chance if they give me something free.  They're apparently open now, we'll see how it is this evening.  They're open until 7 pm, wish they were open later.  Website is up and changed, they have some food options still.

http://kccoffeegirls.com/
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I had the Bonnie for lunch yesterday with a side of couscous and it was KICK ASS good!
scribblymoth
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by scribblymoth »

Just to let you know...
we found out today from my friend that her family's futon shop is going into the old Persona space now, instead of Western Chandelier.  They should be opening sometime in September.  I guess they are also going to be carrying kid's furniture too.
Just thought I would update you all!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Went to Coffee girls today.

I used my free drip coffee coupon and have to say, it was a pretty good brew.  I always add powder cinnamon and stir it up.  Very good.

Decor is very nice, they used walnut for the wood accents in the place, a good choice.  American walnut is very renewable yet is very hard and has a good reputation being a "luxury" wood.  Orange plastic chairs are very hip yet comfortable.

Wasn't met with the same rude service that I was used to in Crossroads, but they definitely did NOT have a good system for getting orders matched with the person that ordered them.  I got someone elses breakfast twice before I got the one I ordered.  The two that came to me first ended up getting paraded around the other 10 tables before finding their proper owner.  Their system should work fine, they use playing cards like Planet Sub.  How did that get so screwed up, I don't know....but the lady called the Ace of Hearts, which I had, and brought me two different entrees - neither were mine.

No biggie, just a little annoying.  The breakfast burrito I ordered was great.  One of the better ones I've had.  Plenty of fillings and no skimping.  The salsa cup was spicy and fantastic with the burrito.  Fiancee had a Liquid Sunshine which had carrot, lime, orange, and some other juices.  It was great as well and I regretted not getting one myself.

With this place in 2 minute walking distance, hopefully we'll visit often if the service stays friendly.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

Good to know; I might give 'em a shot if they're not jackassy.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Banner is up for the new bar owned by Lews. Again, this is the old Roscoe TV repair or something by the Max stop. Will be called The Well.
elonalum
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by elonalum »

and they're hiring!
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

I saw that today on my walk down the trolley track trail!
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

I don't know if somebody already said this but Marbeck is moving.  That sucks.
scribblymoth
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by scribblymoth »

I think today was the first official day of The Well being open.  We noticed some folks on the rooftop at the end of last week, but then heard from Phil who owns The Barbery Center that they weren't really opening until today.  I saw the open sign lit, and folks on the roof again today.  I'm interested to see what kind of food they have there, and how the drinks are.  Last week they had tiki torches lit all along the rooftop...looked nice!
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I was just getting a latte at one more cup this AM and was so excited to see the now open sign.  I couldn't wait to get to the office to see if anyone had been there yet.  :) 
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

scribblymoth wrote: I think today was the first official day of The Well being open.  We noticed some folks on the rooftop at the end of last week, but then heard from Phil who owns The Barbery Center that they weren't really opening until today.  I saw the open sign lit, and folks on the roof again today.  I'm interested to see what kind of food they have there, and how the drinks are.  Last week they had tiki torches lit all along the rooftop...looked nice!
They were open on Saturday to the public, whether official or not.  This place is pretty large, which is both good and bad.  The rooftop should be awesome in the fall and is better setup than O'Dowd's.  One of the coolest things in my mind was the outdoor pool table that was being used just after a decent rain.  It is basically set on its own terrace on the roof.  I didn't spend much time downstairs.

I'd say my first impression of this place as a bar is that it is trying to be a bit college/post-college bar, a bit the JoCo version of Johnny's... a little like a bigger version of O'Dowd's with more video games and TVs (like Lew's).  That said, I bounced after 30 minutes (for other reasons), so I didn't spend a ton of time there.  Great views of the intersection, though and a great addition to the options in the area.  They also serve glass cocktails on the roof, which is nice.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

We checked out the Well last night.  Awesome - huge rooftop deck with a dedicated bar upstairs.  Nice deck in the back, good beer selection and attentive service.  We didn't eat there, but if I like the food half as much as the atmosphere I'll never leave Waldo again.  :)  It was packed every time I went by this weekend, hopefully it stays that way.  Good mixed crowd too, didn't feel like a striped shirt place.  It was really busy but didn't feel cramped at all, still plenty of room to stand and hang out without being on top of someone.  Love the tiki torches on the roof too!  :) 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

http://www.kansascity.com/199/story/1403527.html
The Well has opened in Waldo, and its rooftop deck alone will be a strong draw.

Seen from bustling Wornall Road ? the mingling people, the umbrellas, the sun setting all aglow ? it looks like the place to hang, especially on a balmy day...

It offers chef-driven bar food ? Black Angus burgers, penne chicken carbonara, grilled pork chop with apple brandy sauce, Greek-style veggie wraps and rotisserie turkey pot pie.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

This place seems to be an instant hit in the same way Kennedy's was.  The rooftop is packed to the gills everytime I go by (and I do 2-4 times a day) 

We went for a beer a week ago, really nice place.  Too hip and busy for my style in the evening, but I might try it for lunch.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

We tried to go there for lunch Saturday, and it was too hip and busy then, too, so we moved on. It looks nice, though.
scribblymoth
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by scribblymoth »

I did some carryout from The Well yesterday, and it was not too bad.  I got the angus burger with bacon added, and it tasted and looked like it had actually been grilled over charcoal.  Not sure if it had or not.  My only complaints are that I like to get burgers done medium since it is ground beef.  This burger was pretty rare.  Also the fries were a bit soggy, but they had been sealed up in a box for at least 5 minutes.  Otherwise, quite tasty!  I think some of the menu items are a little over priced, but...it's another place to grab a bite.  Next time I'll have to stay and enjoy the rooftop.  Before it gets super-cold!!
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Jess wrote:We tried to go there for lunch Saturday, and it was too hip and busy then, too, so we moved on. It looks nice, though.
same.  tried to go thursday night but i wasn't wearing a striped shirt and i wanted to sit down.

ended up going to swagger at 84th and wornall--fantastic place.  on my list for sure now.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Have been to both the Well and Swagger in the past week.

The Well--guy I went with was talking about how Waldo was becoming like an older person's Westport, which seemed like an appropriate comment for the Well (though I haven't spent much weekend night time in Westport).  Not really my speed, but pretty nice for what it is.  I couldn't believe how busy it was on a Thursday night.  The patio upstairs is quite nice (though unfortunately the better beers aren't available up there).  I think it's pretty cool that they've got a pool table out there.  I don't see going here a lot, but it seems like a good addition.

I went to Swagger for lunch today and fell in love with the place.  These guys care about doing things the right way, and from what I observed today, they're doing a pretty good job of executing.