Wonderful Waldo

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
scribblymoth
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Wonderful Waldo

Post by scribblymoth »

barkerr wrote: It wasn't her. Just sort of a non-descript woman in her late 20's maybe. Not a huge deal, just awkward. My daughter briefly snuck into that little area with the pastries and the woman looked at me as if I'd killer her cat. She continued to stare at us as we walked out. Earlier, my wife asked what time they closed, and whether that meant we should leave, and we got no response. Just kind of a weird experience all around. Did I mention the old guy talking to himself?
Hi Barkerr,

My husband and I are the owners of One More Cup, and on behalf of both of us we would like to apologize to you for your negative experience in our shop.  I just happened across this forum doing a random google search of us (vain perhaps, but good to find out what we need to improve on! also nice to find this site...it's great!) and was disheartened to read about you, your wife, and daughter's experience.  This especially makes us sad because we have an almost-two-year-old ourselves, and have really been trying to create a kid-friendly environment.  I'm not sure if the barista was having an off-day, or if it is due to most of our staff not having kids of their own.  Whatever the reason, we are sorry, and will definitely be reiterating to everyone that we want to keep things positive!  I hope that you will give us another chance, but we fully understand that you may not want to.  Either way, thank you for the feedback.  We really appreciate the positive and negative comments so that we know what needs to change, stay the same, or improve.  Thank you to everyone else too!  We may not always be able to implement all ideas, but we love to hear them.
Take care, and we are sorry again.
Best...Stacy
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

scribblymoth wrote: Hi Barkerr,

My husband and I are the owners of One More Cup, and on behalf of both of us we would like to apologize to you for your negative experience in our shop.  I just happened across this forum doing a random google search of us (vain perhaps, but good to find out what we need to improve on! also nice to find this site...it's great!) and was disheartened to read about you, your wife, and daughter's experience.  This especially makes us sad because we have an almost-two-year-old ourselves, and have really been trying to create a kid-friendly environment.  I'm not sure if the barista was having an off-day, or if it is due to most of our staff not having kids of their own.  Whatever the reason, we are sorry, and will definitely be reiterating to everyone that we want to keep things positive!  I hope that you will give us another chance, but we fully understand that you may not want to.  Either way, thank you for the feedback.  We really appreciate the positive and negative comments so that we know what needs to change, stay the same, or improve.  Thank you to everyone else too!  We may not always be able to implement all ideas, but we love to hear them.
Best...Stacy
Idea: Free Forum Friday!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

ScribblyMoth,

Welcome and I personally think that was a great post. Too many owners of businesses do the same thing you did, googling their business only to find a critical post and respond to it negatively. I think it's great that you had the ability to apologize! 

For my suggestion I would love to see some late night hours at least once or twice a week. I am also hoping you have some lights and seating out back. I live two blocks away and would love to come chill on the deck. 
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

scribblymoth wrote: Hi Barkerr,

Best...Stacy
Wow. What a great post. Thank you. I really appreciate the personal response. Not what I was expecting at all. Again, not a big deal, I just imagine the woman doesn't have kids and was having a bad day, as you've suggested. If we're ever in the area again, we'll certainly stop in. Our daughter loved the little table with chairs you have set up and she loved the children's books--always a big plus for her. It's obviously a kid-friendly environment, which we appreciate. We wish you success.
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

Oh, and my wife and I like the fact that you recycle. We wish more places did this.
scribblymoth
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by scribblymoth »

barkerr wrote: Wow. What a great post. Thank you. I really appreciate the personal response. Not what I was expecting at all. Again, not a big deal, I just imagine the woman doesn't have kids and was having a bad day, as you've suggested. If we're ever in the area again, we'll certainly stop in. Our daughter loved the little table with chairs you have set up and she loved the children's books--always a big plus for her. It's obviously a kid-friendly environment, which we appreciate. We wish you success.
Thank you for the well wishes, and I'm really glad that your daughter enjoyed the table/books.  I think kids like to feel included in adult activities, but just need stuff in their size!  As for recycling, we wish more businesses did it too.  Maybe it will catch on.
PumpkinStalker wrote: For my suggestion I would love to see some late night hours at least once or twice a week. I am also hoping you have some lights and seating out back. I live two blocks away and would love to come chill on the deck. 
The hours are a tricky situation.  I think we will be shifting some hours fairly soon, but it will likely not go much later than we are already doing.  It's mainly an issue of if we expand too much more, it adds a third shift... not sure if we can do that yet.  I think Sunday, at least for now, will be our main change in hours.  We'll see what happens though!  We are certainly open to change.  We will definitely be making the deck more inviting as the weather gets consistently nicer.  Lots to do!  Thank you all for the support.
shinatoo wrote: Idea: Free Forum Friday!
Hmmm...not for now  :), but keep an eye out for bus pass Mondays (bring in a valid KCMO bus pass, and receive a discount) and double-punch Tuesdays (not to the face, but to your punch card!)  In the next week or two we will be rolling that out.  Likely the week after next.  Just so you know, next Monday the 13th, we will be open only from 6:30am-9:30am.  We are getting a grease trap installed (required by the city.)  The exciting news is that once it is installed, we can start baking some of our own pastries!

Alright, enough about us...yay Waldo!!  We love our neighborhood!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Be sure to let us know of any changes to hours so we (I) can support them!
wetpaint
Pad site
Pad site

Post by wetpaint »

scribblymoth wrote: Thank you for the well wishes, and I'm really glad that your daughter enjoyed the table/books.  I think kids like to feel included in adult activities, but just need stuff in their size!  As for recycling, we wish more businesses did it too.  Maybe it will catch on.

The hours are a tricky situation.  I think we will be shifting some hours fairly soon, but it will likely not go much later than we are already doing.  It's mainly an issue of if we expand too much more, it adds a third shift... not sure if we can do that yet.  I think Sunday, at least for now, will be our main change in hours.  We'll see what happens though!  We are certainly open to change.  We will definitely be making the deck more inviting as the weather gets consistently nicer.  Lots to do!  Thank you all for the support.

Hmmm...not for now  :), but keep an eye out for bus pass Mondays (bring in a valid KCMO bus pass, and receive a discount) and double-punch Tuesdays (not to the face, but to your punch card!)  In the next week or two we will be rolling that out.  Likely the week after next.  Just so you know, next Monday the 13th, we will be open only from 6:30am-9:30am.  We are getting a grease trap installed (required by the city.)  The exciting news is that once it is installed, we can start baking some of our own pastries!

Alright, enough about us...yay Waldo!!  We love our neighborhood!
Scribblymoth, it sounds like you are trying to cater to parents as well as everyone else. I am looking for a coffee shop with good coffee and chai tea lattes (decaf?) which also has a diaper changing table in the men's room. The diaper changing station is non-negotiable. Does your shop qualify? If so, you have my business.
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by MidtownGrrl »

wetpaint wrote: I am looking for a coffee shop .... which also has a diaper changing table in the men's room.
This is super important to my family too, at any public place.  We are currently out of the "diapers" stage, until a few months, but this was of major importance when we would go out.  Or, non-gender-specific bathroom with a changing room.  Moms don't always want to be the one to take care of it, as you probably know. 
scribblymoth
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by scribblymoth »

wetpaint wrote: Scribblymoth, it sounds like you are trying to cater to parents as well as everyone else. I am looking for a coffee shop with good coffee and chai tea lattes (decaf?) which also has a diaper changing table in the men's room. The diaper changing station is non-negotiable. Does your shop qualify? If so, you have my business.
Our bathrooms are teeny tiny, but I did the measurements and we were able to just barely fit a koala care changing station on the wall.  Unfortunately, we only installed one in the ladies room...not to be prejudice, but we could really only afford one at the time, and the reality is there are generally more ladies in need of changing diapers than men.  Even though the restrooms are marked women and men, there is no reason why you can't use either.  They are pretty much the same (except for the pictures on the walls and the changing station!), and I know I've certainly used men's restrooms when the women's has been occupied.  As for other kid/family friendliness...outlets in the main room are covered, we have both types of highchairs (regular and sling style for car seats,) kid snacks (annie's bunny treats and dried fruit crisps, plus Shatto milk,) and the little table, chairs, and books previously mentioned.  We also are proud to display the international breast feeding symbol on our front window!  We don't have an official nursing area, but women are always welcome to nurse anywhere within or without the store.

As for good coffee, we have that!  At least we think so!
We also offer chai tea lattes, though not in decaf...at least yet.
wetpaint
Pad site
Pad site

Post by wetpaint »

Scribblymoth,
That all sounds great. We'll try to check you out next week.

You should try to find stickers or something to advertise. Before I was a father, I assumed that changing tables were universal. They are not. Not everyone is as adamant about them as I am, but I know it is an issue for a lot of people.
scribblymoth
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by scribblymoth »

http://mybb.kcrag.com/showthread.php?tid=13338&page=8

Okay...not sure if I'm doing this correctly or not.  I'm fairly terrible at things like forums, and don't always grasp all the rules and tools.  Anyway...saw the comment last night from PumpkinStalker about if anyone knew what was going into the Western Chandelier building, but then my mind was blown this morning when I returned to the forum with time to answer and was transported back to May!

Anyway...to the best of my knowledge, there is a futon store (not Abdiana!) going in that has been around the KC area for some time (Futon & On.)  I know their store doesn't take up the whole space, and that they are considering putting in artist studios in part of it as well.  I'm not sure if they have the whole building, or just the first floor.  The folks that run it are the parents of a friend from high school.  They are very mellow, nice people and should be a good presence in the neighborhood.  I think it is especially exciting if they end up doing the artist studios!

That's all I know.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Awesome, thanks for the info!  You should come around the forum more often  :)

I'm just glad it's retail and not another service I don't need like hair salon.  Seriously, there are like 6 hair places in a 4 block stretch of Wornall.  Well now that Persona is gone, maybe people are figuring out that it was saturated.
scribblymoth
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by scribblymoth »

Awesome, thanks for the info!  You should come around the forum more often 
I should!  It's been hard to make time lately for much more than the usual email/facebook checks.  I think the forum is a really great spot for sure.

Yeah, Waldo has some interesting stores to have multiples of, but it surely is not lacking in beauty salons or barber shops!  I'm still waiting for an interesting little grocery store of some kind (maybe like Casbah in Lawrence) or something like an NYC style bodega, but slightly nicer.  Who knows what the future holds.
elonalum
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by elonalum »

What's going on Persona? Anyone know?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

All I can guess is they defaulted on loans
and their possessions are being auctioned
elonalum
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by elonalum »

agreed though they've been through one auction and i don't know the outcome other than it looks like the contents are for sale.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

http://www.kansascity.com/199/story/1283014.html

Mezzaluna Italian Restaurant is coming to Waldo.

The 11-year-old Lenexa restaurant is expanding with a new location at 120 E. Gregory Blvd., formerly home to Papa Keno?s Pizzeria. It is scheduled to open by mid-August.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

KCMax wrote: http://www.kansascity.com/199/story/1283014.html

Mezzaluna Italian Restaurant is coming to Waldo.

The 11-year-old Lenexa restaurant is expanding with a new location at 120 E. Gregory Blvd., formerly home to Papa Keno?s Pizzeria. It is scheduled to open by mid-August.
I've heard this place is pretty mediocre. Anyone been there?
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I'm not sure, but I hope the online reviews were not reflective of what it will be!